Reviving Your Dead Zune

HardOCP News

[H] News
While the folks at Microsoft are “working on the problem” there are some folks that are taking matters into their own hands. A word of warning about this fix, cracking your Zune open to access the battery and hard drive will void your warranty. That may or may not concern some of you that just want to get your Zune working but I thought I would just point that out.

Follow Rapid Repair's guide to taking your Zune apart to step 4, so you have access to the hard drive and the battery. Disconnect BOTH the battery and hard drive, and then plug 'em back in. This apparently resets the Zune's internal clock, which brings it back to life. Put it back together, and it should be 100 percent again. (Assuming you don't screw it up.)

Well what do you know, after checking it, my Zune is frozen too....I won't crack it open unless they don't get it fixed before Tuesday.

A little off topic, what mechanism informs Microsoft that your Zune has been opened?

Maybe it will fix itself tomorrow?

i doubt it. its literally frozen, as in the back + down buttons to turn it off wont turn it off, it does nothing but sit at the load screen frozen at 100%. im gonna let it fully die and see what happens.

Oh and my Zune is dead too. Finally tuned off. I assume the battery is fully discharged.

i opened mine up while at work. there is no real seal or tape to give it away, outside of any scratch marks in getting the screw cover off. anyways ran it off of an ac power adapter at work after the hard reboot and it work perfectly. get home and connect it to re-synch and its bricked again.

moral of story. hard reboot, then stay away from the computer with it

The official fix is out: http://gizmodo.com/5121822/official-fix-for-the-zune-30-fail - Just wait until tomorrow and the device will fix itself. Of course if you still have the device in 4 years, it will probably happen again. :rolleyes:

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2008/12/31/30gb-zune-issues-official-update.aspx has the direct source.

If it's a driver problem with the old devices, they could theoretically fix that through a firmware update. Just not quickly enough to fix it this year.

I am surprised that it's smart enough to know it's not 2009 yet, but not smart enough to handle the 366th day of the year...

http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2008/12/31/30gb-zune-issues-official-update.aspx has the direct source.

If it's a driver problem with the old devices, they could theoretically fix that through a firmware update. Just not quickly enough to fix it this year.

I am surprised that it's smart enough to know it's not 2009 yet, but not smart enough to handle the 366th day of the year...

It sounds like it is a hardware problem and there is no fix other than to wait for the last day of the leap year to pass.

Q: Are you sure that this won’t happen to all 80, 120 or other flash devices?

This issue is related to a part that is only used in Zune 30 devices.

It just amazes me that some people can't wait a day without music, and result to voiding the warranties to get it working 12 hours sooner :rolleyes:

Girlfriends daughter has a Zune 30 that will loose all files on it if the battery dies.
Wondering if this upcoming fix will take care of that?

It just amazes me that some people can't wait a day without music, and result to voiding the warranties to get it working 12 hours sooner :rolleyes:

Nope just a lot of dumb folks that feed off of rightous indignation. I surprised you are amazed you see it every day.

Or you could wait one day. Apparently it's an issue with the extra day in a leap-year. When it gets to January 1, 2009, it should sort itself out.

how much you wanna bet msft knew this was going to happen, but because it only would last a day, let it happen?

I can go a day or two without tunes. However, today I was working on a huge house for almost ten hours that had not been hot yet so I couldn't plug a portable radio in. Those 10hrs today of running plastic lines were damn long without my tunes. Hopefully all is well tomorrow.

It's a good thing I took my Ipod to Atlantic City. I was going to bring my Zune with me, but changed my mind.

how much you wanna bet msft knew this was going to happen, but because it only would last a day, let it happen?

Right, cuz MS would rather have something posted negatively about the company and it's product all over the internet than apply a firmware fix.

I'll happily bet against you on this one.

What kind of idiot would have their SALARIED employees, who are employed for the sole purpose of supporting this device, sit around and do nothing instead of preventing some serious, even if short-term, bad PR? :rolleyes:

I'll happily bet against you on this one.

What kind of idiot would have their SALARIED employees, who are employed for the sole purpose of supporting this device, sit around and do nothing instead of preventing some serious, even if short-term, bad PR? :rolleyes:

well I was assuming it was due to a hardware part found on the 30s and not 80s or 120s (or ssds), I know they wouldnt recall every last one of them! and with cases of people who havent updated in over a year having the problem as well, I think 90+ percent of 30s were affected. I havent heard anyone say they werent affected. sure if they can code it for a fix, great, but if its a hardware problem, no way are they going to fix for such a little issue.

well I was assuming it was due to a hardware part found on the 30s and not 80s or 120s (or ssds), I know they wouldnt recall every last one of them! and with cases of people who havent updated in over a year having the problem as well, I think 90+ percent of 30s were affected. I havent heard anyone say they werent affected. sure if they can code it for a fix, great, but if its a hardware problem, no way are they going to fix for such a little issue.

Gosh, it gets so old people constantly complaining about Microsoft all the time, and all the little conspiracy theories :rolleyes:

The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year.
http://forums.zune.net/412486/ShowPost.aspx

and my zune is back to working order. :) kinda reminds me of i-robot when the electricity goes off in the city, and then in the end it comes back and all the robots reboot :p

Back