Reviving SSD with only 16% health per HD Sentinel Pro?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I fired up a backup laptop that I haven't used for years now. Error message said in effect, "No boot drive detected." I removed the drive from the laptop, plugged it in to my desktop and analyzed it with HD Sentinel Pro. The report was many bad sectors and only 16% health.

It's an old Crucial MX 300, with 275 MB reported on the label. I don't need to save the contents of the drive, since I can always install a fresh copy of Win 10. The question is how can I somehow force this drive to re-initialize and map out all the bad sectors.

There is a 'data/surface fix' option in HD Sentinel pro

Click the third drive icon under configuration in the top menu and select the drive and the Disk Repair option or Reinitialise option. Run that. It might not get it to boot but it may well put it in a more recoverable position.

However, I would dump the drive if you dont need the data on it. It's a bad drive. Buy a new one.

have you used cruials disk tool on it? its full scan might mark off the bad spots but with what HDpro says, i wouldnt want to use it.....

Did I manage to revive this SSD? Here is why I'm asking.

I had an SSD in a laptop I hadn't used in years. The laptop could even detect the SSD, so I removed it and plugged in to my desktop for HD Sentinel analysis. I also tried the Crucial tool, which indicated that the firmware (from 2018) is up to date.

When I first plugged in the problem SSD into my desktop, Windows showed a red X at the bottom of a drive letter for this SSD. However, I did a full (not quick) format, and now that red X is not present.

However, HD Sentinel Pro still reports the disk health at 16%. Since the full format relocated a lot of bad sectors, is the disk good again?

Did I manage to revive this SSD? Here is why I'm asking.

I had an SSD in a laptop I hadn't used in years. The laptop could even detect the SSD, so I removed it and plugged in to my desktop for HD Sentinel analysis. I also tried the Crucial tool, which indicated that the firmware (from 2018) is up to date.

When I first plugged in the problem SSD into my desktop, Windows showed a red X at the bottom of a drive letter for this SSD. However, I did a full (not quick) format, and now that red X is not present.

However, HD Sentinel Pro still reports the disk health at 16%. Since the full format relocated a lot of bad sectors, is the disk good again?
Spoke too soon. That red X is present again. So I'm going to use this drive only for quick-scratch items only. Twice today, I have copied over 200 GB from another drive to this SSD.

Just throw it away man. You can buy refurbed Intel drives on Ebay for almost single digits with 100% health.

I thought you where the guy happy to buy 20TB spinning rusts but not $20 for a SSD. o_O
:LOL:

Just throw it away man. You can buy refurbed Intel drives on Ebay for almost single digits with 100% health.

I thought you where the guy happy to buy 20TB spinning rusts but not $20 for a SSD. o_O
:LOL:
Yeah. I'm that guy and yes, I'm going to toss that old SSD. Thanks for the eBay tip.

Back