[Review] Triple Radiators V2

skinnee

n00b
Triple Radiator Performance Comparison V2
HWLabs GTX360, HWLabs SR1-360 Swiftech MCR320,
Swiftech MCR320 Stack, ThermoChill PA120.3, TFC X360, XSPC RX360

by skinnee - November 8, 2009

Here we are in the next installment, Going to keep it short and simple...just the data you want to see. Full Review - Triple Radiator Comparison

Thermal Performance Test Results

Before moving into the eye-candy charts, I want to show all of the finalized thermal test data that will be used for our Applied C/W tables and charts. I feel that as a tester it is crucial that I maintain an open book for test methods, data and results. One thing I can always count on with the Liquid Cooling community is the sheer number of you out there who double check my calculations, you guys always keep me on my toes and help me with presenting the information as well as implement additional tests for data you are interested in. Instead of making you scroll past all of the tables, I quickly made one page that has all of the data tables in one. Click the link below to view the data tables in a new window...

Triples V2 Data Tables...

Applied C/W Data
From all of the individual tests performed on the radiators included, we have a data set that we can use as a comparison, this is C/W. Below is another one of my data tables, since these are small I'll display them. It is these tables that drive the C/W and Delta T charts that compare all of the radiators together. As a reminder, the results you see in the data tables are the applied C/W results with a given Delta (Water Avg-Air In) to find how much wattage each the radiator dissipate. For each data table the calculations include Deltas of 15º, 10º, 5º and 2º. Once again, here is my classifications for those deltas.
  • 15º Delta: Low Performance, an overloaded but capable loop.
  • 10º Delta: Average Performance, very capable of good temps and representative of an average system.
  • 5º Delta: High Performance, for those of you looking to achieve the best possible temps.
  • 2º Delta: Ultra Performance. extreme setups only, this would be an ultimate setup where you limit to dedicated block loops.

GTX360_CWChart.jpg
HWLabs-SR1360_CWChart.jpg

MCR320_CWChart.jpg
MCR320S_CWChart.jpg

TFC360_CWChart.jpg
PA120.3_CWChart.jpg

RX360_CWChart.jpg

Applied C/W to Watts Dissipated

The next set of charts are the simplest way for me to plot the data out for which radiator can dissipate the most watts at a give fan speed. I added a trendline for those of you who prefer and fan speed different than one of the six speeds I tested at. But please remember, the trendline is a estimated prediction and not true representation. Just look at the discrepancy among the plotted data points and how the trendlines are close, but not through some of the plotted points.

Looking at the Average Performance 10C Delta chart, nearly all of the radiators are clumped together within roughly 20 watts of each other...remember, the pump heat dump of the D5-S5 with EK V2 Top averages 18 watts. The only outlier 1000RPM and under is the GTX, the extra fin density and low speed fans don't show well, but that is nothing new for most of you. If there is one major thing to point out, just look at the 1400RPM grouping... not a bad radiator in the bunch at 1400RPM. As we move up the RPM scale, higher FPI radiators start to pull away and the GTX just takes off. And like always, the 2ºC Delta numbers just to bring some water temp reality back to your build planning.

Estimated Delta T

Lets do something useful with the C/W, take an estimate heat load of some common components. I decided on two different configs, a CPU only loop and a CPU with two GTX275's in SLI. Thankfully eXtreme Outervision's PSU calculator is always kept up to date, lets use this handy tool and come up with our heat loads.

CPU Only Loop

For the CPU loop, I left TDP at the recommended 85%, chose and Overclocked i7 920 (4200MHz, 1.35V) and came up with 259w...but lets add in 18w for the pump too. Total for our CPU only loop is 277w. If you use the calculate button, remember to subtract 38w, or use it as your pump heat dump and a little buffer on the heat load for you loop.

triples-v2_OC920_deltaT.jpg

The biggest standout for me is just how close nearly all the radiators are from 1000RPM all the way to 2800RPM, only 600RPM being the largest variance between all in the round-up (but who expected the high FPI of the GTX360 to perform at near silent fan speeds. One other surprise is the TFC 360 lack luster performance at 600RPM, didn't realize that 12FPI coupled extra thickness meant a 1C hit. Other than those two points, it really comes down to price and what you want to see in your loop.

CPU with SLI GPUs Loop

As I promised earlier, lets just use the 38w base from eXtreme Outervision's PSU calculator instead of subtracting 38w and adding 18w (or subtract 20 of the top for you math geniuses) to compensate for pump heat dump on our CPU and SLI GPU loop scenario. Again, using the PSU calculator leave TDP at 85% specifying an Overclocked i7 920 (4200MHz, 1.35V), Nvidia GeForce GTX275 and choosing SLI from the Video Type drop down... hit the calculate. 463 watts it is.

triples-v2_OC920-275sli_deltaT.jpg

Same things stand out for me from the CPU only loop, just with the added heat load means higher deltas. There really isn't a radiator that I would advise against from 1400RPM on up, as for 1000RPM and slower, the HWLabs SR1-360, Swiftech MCR320, ThermoChill PA120.3 and XSPC RX360 are great. Although, the XSPC RX360 and HWLabs SR1-360 are the kings of low CFM fan speeds.

Conclusion

Overall, every radiator performs, its a matter of fans and the speed you want to run them at. However, I don't recommend a GTX360, TFC360 or MCR320-Stack (3 fans) for 1000RPM and under. The GTX360 is just a high FPI radiator that excels with medium and high speed fans the GTX series wins hands down 1800RPM and above. The TFC X-Changer 360 but the TFC has some extra thickness with the higher FPI (12FPI), so the performance isn't great before 1400RPM and comes in second after the GTX beyond that... I expected better for all the hype and seeming popularity.

For Medium speeds of 1000,1400, and 1800RPM, its a toss up really, I personally think prices and aesthetics be your deciding factor. The HWLabs SR1 is a low speed performer, then tails from the pack after 1000RPM which is what we would expect from low FPI and a dual row. But the XSPC RX360 didn't give up the 1000RPM crown and the 600RPM loop delta on our SLI scenario was 0.08C which is basically equal. The RX series is perfect match for all fan speeds. We can't forget the mighty Swiftech MCR320 though, for those in the US its your best price:performance radiator available at any fan speed. The MCR320-Stack just doesn't work as a sandwich, but I've got some exploratory testing to run as I know the extra surface area of the stack will drop the loop deltas, its just a matter for fan configuration. And finally, the legendary ThermoChill PA120.3... always a solid choice sporting lowest restriction around and stellar performance across all fan speeds... oh yeah, and the latest revision uses standard 15mm fan spacing. I just wish ThermoChill could catchup with available stock and get more online retailer coverage. The PA120.3 is my own personal favorite, afterall I own 6 ThermoChill PA's of one flavor or another.

Like I said, not a bad radiator in the line-up. Choose your radiator based on fans speed (RPM/CFM/Static Pressure) and noise. If that doesn't make the decision for you, price and aesthetics are the other criteria you'll have to compare. If all else fails, make a poll at your favorite forum and watch a debate ensue, you'll might end up more confused though. :)

Full Review - Triple Radiator Comparison

Last edited:
Skinnee,

I don't know how to thank you enough for this review. :p I'm completely new to watercooling, so I've had been reading a LOT.:confused: Here, and other forums also. I've read endless threads, and lots of build logs. A lot of what you get boils down to that nobody really knows. :eek: What worked on your last watercooled build won't necessarily work on your next one, because the new build includes an overclocked i7 and one or maybe two hot-running GTXs.

So as a result, a lot of people go to two loops. A lot of people say that you have to have the CPU on a separate loop from the GPU, etc. This is all fine if you don't care how much time and money you spend to build your watercooling. :( And don't forget, watercooling does require some amount of maintenance, more than say a typical aircooled system.

So it's very nice to see some numbers.:cool: Maybe I'm going to be less aggressive about overclocking my i7, and maybe I'll get a video card that needs less power, or maybe more power, but I know that I can determine the thermal load of both the CPU and GPU, make some decisions on fan speeds and noise, etc. So the bottom line here is, for ME, I need only one loop. Thank you, thank you, thank you.:D :D

@RadioDude - TFC is included in the roundup.

@x509 - Personally, I split loops. I would much rather have more radiator than I need versus dealing with higher temps, but thats me. You can certainly run multi-block loops and be perfectly fine, just know the more heat you have in your loop your deltaT will suffer unless you have an adequate amount of radiator. But there is no need for quad 120mm radiator on a chipset loop, wait... I am running a PA120.3 for my chipset loop. Like I said, I over-radiator my loops. :)

@Main - A lot of folks mentioned Magicool this time around, hadn't heard much about them before releasing V2 of the radiator review. I'll see what I can do in the future. Are Magicools more of a European radiator, I don't see them over in the US much?

Excellent work. Very balanced and unbiased conclusion. You are now "stuck" with stickie.

Excellent exhaustive review, Skinnee. I appreciate your efforts sincerely.

This just goes to show why I don't buy Feser products, because it is hype. :p I say that lightly though; no offense to Feser owners. ;) I own multiple Thermochill PAs, a couple XSPC RXs, a few HWL rads and a Swiftie (which I'm not that excited about, but I digress) floating around so it's nice to have another chart to compare numbers with, and one that's more updated and modern compared to others. It's good to have more sources for info to synthesize with my own findings.

Thanks again, Skinnee. Bookmarked.

Very good comparison. If you add anything in the future to your reviews, would you kindly try the new Feser Triebwerk fans and the Monsta radiator? Triebwerks are supposed to be the first fans designed specifically for watercooling and extremely high performance and the Monsta is enormous?

Thanks for the awesome data skinnee. I used your website to help me narrow down which radiator to get. I would have liked to have gone with the PA 120.3, but they are not easy to find. Wound up going with GTX360 and some 100+ CFM fans.

My pleasure and thanks for the compliment. I'm working on Version 3 and hope to be done in the next week(ish).

BTW, excellent choice on the rad as long as your ears can take it. :D

Thanks for all this, it's really helping me out. I am researching parts for my first water cooling rig. If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance. I am wondering why the double thick radiators don't perform twice as well or even as well in some cases as the single row radiators. To a greater extent why does the MCR320 perform better then the MCR320-stack? I mean it's basically 2 of the same radiator instead of 1 right?

For the most part, double thick radiators need more air flow and static pressure from the fans in order for performance to be unleashed. Look at the TFC 360, lower fan speeds just don't perform as well but once you get over 1400RPM the performance comes alive. Now I say for the most part because there are design choices made such as lowering the Fins Per Inch in order to utilize the extra surface area at lower fan speeds, look at the XSPC RX and HWLabs SR1.

In the case of the MCR-Stack, a single set of fans sandwiched in between two radiators just does not provide the fan power needed to give the benefit of doubling the radiator surface. I've been tinkering with the fan setup on the MCR-Stack for the last two weeks, while the results aren't ready I can certainly say an extra set of fans makes all the difference in the world for the MCR-Stack.

So, is there any benefit to using an RX360 over an MCR320 in the 1600-1800rpm range?

It looks like the MCR320 only loses out to the RX360 by a slight about, and the RX is almost 2x as expensive.

Thanks for the review!!!!

Very nice man!

I don't have room for a triple but I do now know that my xspc rx 240 and rx120 ( push/pull )
will cool my gpu's and cpu.

Thank's a lot

Edit : Just according to a review the gtx 275 uses 186 watts under full load.

186w x 2 = 372w : 100 = 3.72w x 85 ( tdp ) = 316w + 277w (core I7) = 593w

Or did I make a mistake in my calculations? seems more realistic for the power hungry 275.

Don't want to sound smart or anything just something I noticed.

The review was great!

Last edited:
Edit : Just according to a review the gtx 275 uses 186 watts under full load.

186w x 2 = 372w : 100 = 3.72w x 85 ( tdp ) = 316w + 277w (core I7) = 593w

Or did I make a mistake in my calculations? seems more realistic for the power hungry 275.

Don't want to sound smart or anything just something I noticed.

The review was great!

Sorry for the delayed response...

I'm not following your math there, but the numbers taken for calculation and charting purposes are direct from the eXtreme Outervision calculator. And furthermore, do not represent actual heat dump from the components themselves. They were used just to provide an example of heat loads for comparison across the radiators included in the round-up.

Also, we have revamped our radiator test procedure and working our way through retesting as well as testing new radiators. As we progress we'll be preparing a comparison article much like the OP here. Stay tuned. :)

Hi

I read some opinions in this topic. I do not agree above ideal. We can find out some articles at about.com by using Google search.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: 360 performance review

Best regards.

Last edited:
Back