review build components

StickyLoad

Limp Gawd
Here is a list of parts I have picked out. I am looking to build a decent system that is going to last me the next 5-6 years. Mostly used as a file server to serve content to my ps3/ATV/XBMC devices. Also used to encode dvd's and do some light video editing. Might possibly get into some gaming again, but mostly stick to my ps3 for that.

I have a $50 Amazon.com gift card and $225 in Newegg.com gift cards to put towards the build. I already have a 27" monitor, 60 GB ocz vertex 3 ssd for OS and Windows 7. I might also go with linux over Win 7. Haven't decided yet but have used Ubuntu/Mint for the last 6 years on previous build. I'd like to keep my out of pocket expenses in the $5-700 range.
Looking for advice on all parts. I'd like an energy efficient PSU as this machine will likely run 24x7. I live near a microcenter, so I can pick up parts from there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vELX
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vF2C - changed out the PSU and case
Thanks in advance!

6) Will you be overclocking?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
Which version of Windows 7 do you have? Pro? Home Premium?

6) Will you be overclocking?
6) Probably won't OC
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
Which version of Windows 7 do you have? Pro? Home Premium?

8) Next week or 2
9) USB 3 and Sata 6. Don't need to run dual GPU's. Either run win7 pro or a flavor of debian linux.

I think the parts I have outlined in the initial post are decent, just mostly trying to figure out if I am getting the best bang for my buck in the $800 - 900 range.

That setup can still be improved:

Since you're not overclocking, you don't need to get a K series CPU. You'll be fine with this CPU instead:
$180 - Intel Core i5-3470 CPU

Again, since you're not overclocking and really don't plan on a multi-GPU setup, you'll be fine with this cheaper mobo:
$105 - MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard

That PSU isn't that good of a deal considering its quality. Go for this Antec instead:
$55 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back