Returnal (PS5)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Developer Housemarque has taken the wraps off of Returnal, a third-person shooter for the PS5 that’s decidedly more ambitious than its previous titles like Resogun...at first look, it’s an Edge of Tomorrow-inspired thriller that has you desperately trying to break a cycle where you crash, die in an attack, and somehow come back to life...

This was probably the most interesting new IP in saw in the event. I read before the event that one of the main Dead Space writers was working on a PS5 game to be revealed today too and insinuated that it would be a horror game and the main character was "having a really bad time". So this seems to align with all that. If it's half as good as Dead Space too, it'll be well worth playing. Also, Edge of Tomorrow is one of my somewhere recent favorite movies, so I love the premise and setting here.

This was probably the most interesting new IP in saw in the event. I read before the event that one of the main Dead Space writers was working on a PS5 game to be revealed today too and insinuated that it would be a horror game and the main character was "having a really bad time". So this seems to align with all that. If it's half as good as Dead Space too, it'll be well worth playing. Also, Edge of Tomorrow is one of my somewhere recent favorite movies, so I love the premise and setting here.

Project Athia gets my vote for most interesting new IP..

Project Athia gets my vote for most interesting new IP..
I don't know how you can say that when the footage yesterday didn't reveal anything about the game, and what was shown was not anything special. Returnal was pretty much the only game aside from Demon's Souls that actually got me to pay attention.

I don't know how you can say that when the footage yesterday didn't reveal anything about the game, and what was shown was not anything special. Returnal was pretty much the only game aside from Demon's Souls that actually got me to pay attention.

but the little footage they did show looked really interesting and has potential...you can see the framework of a good game...the other games they showed were more complete but I liked what I saw

they showed more footage from Returnal but I wasn't as confident in the gameplay...like I said Edge of Tomorrow the video game...

so it will be released before PS5 is available

There's about 5 million PS5s sold now and will probably be double that by the time the game has launched. I don't think a significant portion of those are sitting in scalper's inventory either. Me and a few of my friends all have one already at least; they're not at the 3080-level of hard to get from what I've seen, since I've been trying to get one of those since November when I got my PS5.

There's about 5 million PS5s sold now and will probably be double that by the time the game has launched. I don't think a significant portion of those are sitting in scalper's inventory either. Me and a few of my friends all have one already at least; they're not at the 3080-level of hard to get from what I've seen, since I've been trying to get one of those since November when I got my PS5.
Indeed. Got my PS5 relatively easy. Still searching for a 3090.

Sorry meant to say available to people that have a job. The profit margin for current scalping prices on PS5 is only slightly lower than 3080, I'll take the objective data over the imasocoolihaveone data.
Having a job has nothing to do with it. If you don't have a job your priorities shouldn't be towards spending a bunch of money on luxury items. Hell not having a job would make it easier to get stuff if you had the money.

less than 5million sold WORLD WIDE and there's more demand for PS5 than ampere last i checked

It's still outselling the PlayStation 4 even with ongoing supply issues.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
All I'm gonna say is that HouseMarque is great and Nex Machina didn't get anywhere near enough love.

This looks pretty good. Hope it comes to PC, but I am doubting it. And if it does it will probably be a good while.

this definitely has potential...sort of has the same gameplay mechanic of dual reality split screens that the recent 'Medium' game had but in a more interesting way

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I love the mechanic where the game world changes each time you die- enemy placement, map changes etc

Returnal- State of Play Gameplay Walkthrough | PS5

This looks interesting. I'd get this if I ever had any intentions of buying a PS5.

Looks interesting, but the Cave shooter projectiles (which don't really appear to be tricky based on what I've watched) and the $70 price tag are discouraging.

Returnal’s gunplay makes delightful use of PS5’s DualSense controller

DualSense matters for more than just gimmickry...Housemarque’s Returnal does some amazing things with Sony’s DualSense controllers, and the technology makes the game better, not just different...this is a step beyond most haptic gimmickry, as the controller’s effects positively impact how you play the game

The magic of Returnal is in the controller’s triggers, and how they’re used to select your firing mode...

https://www.polygon.com/22403679/returnal-ps5-dualsense-controller-haptic-rumble

Anyone pre-order this or buying day 1? Looks pretty promising from the previews and impressions so far. But I'm torn between this and RE8 now, cuz rarely are games worth day 1 purchases to me and I'm not feeling spending $130 at once between these two games and will wait at least for a small sale on one of them. Guess I'll see how reviews come out, but I'm pretty sure RE8 will win out for me.

Anyone pre-order this or buying day 1? Looks pretty promising from the previews and impressions so far. But I'm torn between this and RE8 now, cuz rarely are games worth day 1 purchases to me and I'm not feeling spending $130 at once between these two games and will wait at least for a small sale on one of them. Guess I'll see how reviews come out, but I'm pretty sure RE8 will win out for me.
I would like to give it a shot but I refuse to pay $70. I will not support that price point. RE8 is going to get my money.

I would like to give it a shot but I refuse to pay $70. I will not support that price point. RE8 is going to get my money.
Yeah, pretty much how I feel as well. I don't expect the $70 games to still hit the same sale prices after a few months or something as the $60 games, but we shall see I guess. They may just scale the sales to still be $10 more than usual until it becomes a greatest hit at $20 or so like many PS exclusives do.

Yeah, looks good, but was hoping for a more a more story-based game than all action. I'll prolly pick it up for $30 or so when it gets there at some point.

Last edited:
seems like a very good game which has some issues but overall sounds unique with excellent graphics and audio...reviews seem to be averaging in the 8 range...graphics and gameplay remind me of Control...

For $70 they should have included difficulty adjustments, especially since multiple reviews have noted the game crashes. I know it’s not part of their vision and all of that, but there is no way I’m dropping $70 on a randomized game I’m likely to get stuck in, or have crash in me :(

Last edited:
for the most part it sounds like a winner...

Returnal: Housemarque Pushes PlayStation 5 HARD - With Spectacular Results

Last edited:
According to the DF video, Returnal’s native resolution is only around 1080p...Housemarque says they then used temporal upsampling to get to 1440p and then checkboard rendering to get to 4K – the effect of this double upsampling is a game that can look a bit grainy at times

as for performance, expect a mostly locked 60fps, although DF did pick up brief moments when the action dipped to the mid-to-low 50s...oh, and don’t expect too many fancy ray-tracing effects, as Housemarque mainly used it behind the scenes to improve rendering efficiency

I don't know but this game seems like a lot of running around just shooting psychedelic squids. Constant runnin and gunnin. I hope it has a good story.

Game looks innovative but untill I spring 800.00 quid for a PS5 I'll never know. Gameplay reminds me if Recore.

Been enjoying this alot, although I suck majorly and haven’t beaten the first area yet (keeping spoilers at bay by being vague). The atmospheric music is really awesome too, it causes a slow burn increase in anxiety the longer your run lasts. I can tell this game gets absolutely wicked fun the better you get at it.

And a Returnal meme which is relevant:

7408765B-7C04-40FD-93DA-C60CB5727998.jpeg

Back