Returnal (Confirmed)

^ not sure, but most likely.
I forgot to mention this is using the old and busted UE4 which means a most likely wait and see for me. I just refunded Darksiders III less than a week ago because of the horrendous performance, also ue4. something, something Callisto comes to mind as well...
I have darksiders 3 on PC and it runs like a champ? How old is your PC?

^it's not my pc. I easily meet and surpass the recommended specs. I should've been running this cartoon of a game at 120fps without so much as a hickup, but it would just chug, hitch and stutter nonstop.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on topic though, I guess I missed a HUGE aspect of this game, the fact that's a rogue-like. It most likely won't be for me, but again, we'll see.

pretty beefy especially compared to all the other PlayStation ports...32GB system RAM?

Recommended specs:

Processor: Intel i7-8700 (6 core 3.7 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8 core 3.7 GHz)
Memory: 32GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER (8GB) or AMD RX 6700 XT (12GB)
Storage: 60GB available space

Anyone with a modern upper mid-range or older high-end GPU should have 32 GB of system ram by now I would think. I had to go back and look at my Newegg order history and I've had 32 gigs of RAM since July 2016. Also I had 16 GB of RAM back when clowns were arguing whether 4 or 8 was enough LOL. I'll certainly be going with 64 GB of RAM when I build the next PC.

pretty beefy especially compared to all the other PlayStation ports...32GB system RAM?

Recommended specs:

Processor: Intel i7-8700 (6 core 3.7 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8 core 3.7 GHz)
Memory: 32GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER (8GB) or AMD RX 6700 XT (12GB)
Storage: 60GB available space

I've some speculation that it might be due to the game having been specifically designed around the PS5 and, especially, it's SSD speeds. So they might be offloading a lot of that onto the RAM, requiring a larger amount of memory.

I've some speculation that it might be due to the game having been specifically designed around the PS5 and, especially, it's SSD speeds. So they might be offloading a lot of that onto the RAM, requiring a larger amount of memory.

this is the first true next-gen PS5 title released on PC (Miles Morales was a PS5 launch title but also available on PS4)...Returnal would have been a great case for DirectStorage (PC)

February 15.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/01/18/returnal-launches-on-pc-february-15/

1674057988688.png

Exactly how repetitious is this game exactly? Whenever I see the word rogue, I get concerned. Yet there are occasionally games that feature randomized levels and repetition in a fun way. Where does this fall exactly? Is there anything similar?

Exactly how repetitious is this game exactly? Whenever I see the word rogue, I get concerned. Yet there are occasionally games that feature randomized levels and repetition in a fun way. Where does this fall exactly? Is there anything similar?

My understanding is that yes, it is a Rouge like. Not heavy on story and lots of repetition. It is safe to say this is my least anticipated Sony port.

It's an incredible game, but there are lots of things that add to the experience. The environments are incredible, the graphics are incredible, but more importantly the experience of playing the game with the DualSense and the 3D audio is what I really like about it. It's very challenging however and I imagine people that like the Souls-Borne games will like it.

Not sure if you guys have played any of Housemarque's other games but they are all amazing... like Alienation, Dead Nation, Nex Machina...

the experience of playing the game with the DualSense and the 3D audio is what I really like about it...

I hear the game has the best implementation of the DualSense features...I'll definitely be getting this as I love challenging games...the gameplay, graphics and audio all sound top notch...I'm glad Sony decided to port this to PC even though the game didn't seem to sell well on PS5...was also the first 'real' PS5 next gen game

Last edited:
It's an incredible game, but there are lots of things that add to the experience. The environments are incredible, the graphics are incredible, but more importantly the experience of playing the game with the DualSense and the 3D audio is what I really like about it. It's very challenging however and I imagine people that like the Souls-Borne games will like it.

Not sure if you guys have played any of Housemarque's other games but they are all amazing... like Alienation, Dead Nation, Nex Machina...
Alienation is a hidden gem. I bought it on a whim when it was on sale on PS4 and enjoyed it a lot. If you liked Helldivers, you'll love Alienation.

I wonder if this will let users sync progress from PS5?

The way the game works: you loose weapons and perks, you keep upgrades to the character and key items. The story is told via recordings, flashbacks and discovery of artifacts. A lot of it is up for interpretation. It took a while to adjust to it to be honest and I almost quit.

It's like a drug for me. I play daily challenges and do the tower at least once a week. The loop is solid and controls are tight. Visuals are insane and crazy how much leverage they got out of using particle systems: enemies, foliage and destruction...

Coming to PC will make it worse.

I'm really looking forward to this game...as long as it doesn't have any major performance issues I'm in on Day 1...it's also another example of a PS game which gets additional graphical features on PC- Returnal adds RT reflections to go along with the previous RT shadows...Miles Morales also added RT shadows exclusively on PC

more than just a standard port, the PC versions are the definitive versions of the game

I'm really looking forward to this game...as long as it doesn't have any major performance issues I'm in on Day 1...it's also another example of a PS game which gets additional graphical features on PC- Returnal adds RT reflections to go along with the previous RT shadows...Miles Morales also added RT shadows exclusively on PC

more than just a standard port, the PC versions are the definitive versions of the game

Just a few years ago, who would have thought that Sony of all companies would be the ones making world-class PC ports of games?

Just a few years ago, who would have thought that Sony of all companies would be the ones making world-class PC ports of games?
They have a reputation to maintain, so I'm sure it's a priority for them. The fact that we're getting PlayStation exclusives at all on PC is what is amazing.

Some games like Horizon had a rough launch but they get patched within 6 or so weeks. Aside from that the are some of the better optimized PC games. Really ironic, but very welcome.

Still not that interested in this game. Doing the latest FC6 DLC which is somewhat similar to this and not my style of game. I can't stand games where you can't save, so a whole game based around that isn't something I will be too interested in playing. But I'll consider it, if anything Sony quality is high.

They have a reputation to maintain, so I'm sure it's a priority for them. The fact that we're getting PlayStation exclusives at all on PC is what is amazing.

I'm still hoping for a Demon's Souls (remake) port in 2023...and hopefully Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition within 6 months after the new DLC is released (April 19th)

Last edited:
Reactions: w35t
like this
It's "on sale" at Fanatical (and GMG) for $50ish. I picked it up a week or so ago. Rogue-likes (lites) are my jam so I'm pretty excited.

Love this game, it is VERY hard without a doubt, I have almost beat the first boss and just getting to it is rewarding lol!

multiple reputable review sites have mentioned microstutter...sounds like a mostly solid port but I think I'm going to wait for a patch or 2...I'm in the middle of playing Dying Light 1 for the first time so I have time to wait

I'm glad that Unreal Engine 4 is reaching its end of life as it's one of the main causes of PC stutter

I'll most likely wait for a patch or 2 myself as well as a price drop. Not paying $60 for any game, ever, especially two year old console ports. This though is probably one of my most anticipated games at the moment. Really liking the creepy setting and visuals, and fun weapons and movement.

Returnal PC Port Impressions– Hello Stutter My Old Friend

The benchmark results would seem promising. On the test rig (Intel i7 12700KF, GeForce RTX 4090, 16GB DDR4), Returnal PC averaged 121 frames per second, while the max FPS was 213 and the minimum FPS was 73, at 4K resolution with DLSS set to Quality and all settings (ray tracing included) set to the highest available

As hinted in the headline, though, the actual experience is different and not in a good way. While the game compiles shaders the first time you launch it, stuttering is everpresent, despite not being picked up by the in-game metrics or benchmark. It's there not only in the thickest of combat, where it is most annoying but slightly more understandable due to all the particles flying around, but also when you're just moving throughout the environment on your own, with nothing else going on...

https://wccftech.com/returnal-pc-port-impressions-hello-stutter-my-old-friend/

Returnal PC Port Impressions– Hello Stutter My Old Friend

The benchmark results would seem promising. On the test rig (Intel i7 12700KF, GeForce RTX 4090, 16GB DDR4), Returnal PC averaged 121 frames per second, while the max FPS was 213 and the minimum FPS was 73, at 4K resolution with DLSS set to Quality and all settings (ray tracing included) set to the highest available

As hinted in the headline, though, the actual experience is different and not in a good way. While the game compiles shaders the first time you launch it, stuttering is everpresent, despite not being picked up by the in-game metrics or benchmark. It's there not only in the thickest of combat, where it is most annoying but slightly more understandable due to all the particles flying around, but also when you're just moving throughout the environment on your own, with nothing else going on...

https://wccftech.com/returnal-pc-port-impressions-hello-stutter-my-old-friend/

Doesn't sound good. Sony has been fairly good with recent ports. But they tend to be quick with patching so it will probably be good to go in 4-8 weeks.

Seems like something to avoid for now, but I have faith in Sony's ports. I bet it'll be terrific in a couple weeks if not sooner.

20 Minutes of Returnal PC Super Ultrawide Gameplay

Here is a run through the first area of the game, including a fight with its boss, in super ultrawide (32:9)...

Last edited:
3440x1440 all epic settings (RT on) and DLSS Quality I get 125 fps average in the benchmark. Average GPU usage is only 83%. So it seems Zen 3 is a big CPU bottleneck here. Not that 125 fps is anything to complain about.

The stuttering on the other hand... oh boy. It's BAD on my setup. And seemingly random, but opening doors to enter new areas consistently causes the worst stuttering. And it's not a quick single hiccup/hitch either. It feels like the frame rate fell off a cliff momentarily. Hopefully they're able to work some magic with a patch or something, because this doesn't live up to the standard set by previous Sony ports.

Aside from the stutter, the graphics are phenomenal. The HDR also looks great, although there are no in-game calibration options for it. Just an on/off toggle.

Well I decided to buy it. I stopped playing it on PS5 a while ago but for the price I paid I decided to just buy it instead of having it rented for as long as I had a PS+ premium sub. It is beautiful on the PC much nicer than the PS5 in my eyes. If you don't mind playing with a controller, the Dualsense is used exactly the same as the PS5 version including the built in speaker. I didn't try it wireless only wired though. My settings are 4k, HDR, Epic but with Ray Trace on low (reflections and shadows) with DLSS Quality and I get about 77-86 average FPS over the 3 benchmark runs I ran. The hitching in game is pretty random even after the game has loaded the level complete. I have it installed on a PCIe 4.0 NVME drive so it shouldn't be a problem of loading assets quick. It's annoying that it happens but it didn't really affect my game play. It ran with like 4% - 6% CPU and 100% GPU for me on my 3970x + 3090. Interestingly it only used up less than 7GB of video ram at most. I got pretty far after my second death, thought I might make it to the first boss, but died after I got trapped in a corner betweeen 2 mid bosses and had nowhere to run but at them. :facepalm:

The game works 100% perfectly for me. 3440x1440 and a 2080ti is getting me around 70fps at "Epic" settings including "Epic" ray tracing with DLSS at Balanced. Looks great and no stutters. I'm on Linux though and I've read that UE4 doesn't stutter as bad in Linux as it does in Windows. It's too bad that the game installs EOS; I try to avoid anything that concerns them but I bought this on Fanatical so can't get a refund (which I would do as a matter of principle even though I'm really enjoying the game).

Put in 100+ hours on ps5 version. So when this unlocked, put in 2 hours before bed. Finished the first three biomes, so far no death :). I am sure I'll die on that swimming butthole mid level boss in the 6th biome.

It runs great at 3840x1600 (funky res, black bars on the side) on a 3090. Using the PS5 controller. Looks awesome on PC.

Can't wait to get to the tower.

Also, dreading all the hacking and cheating.

Anyways. Anyone wanna co-op?

Heads up. The game installs Epic Online Services even if you cancel out of the install. You can uninstall it and the game will run. Might not have online features though. Which, doesn't bother me. I don't like playing online anyway.

I love rogue likes and I am interested. Is this worth the 60 dollar price tag they are asking?

I've been enjoying it. Should be able to pick it up at Fanatical or GMG for ~$50 if that helps.

For me it is. Bought it twice. Getting ready to start a second playthough soon on PC.

Back