Return of the King: AMD HD 5970

just counting only the 8800gts, 9600gso, and all those g92 core cards.

Oh God, and that "we're naming it 'x' but it's actually the same hardware as the old product 'y' but for no real reason we're going to change the name and call it 'x' instead" crap is the worst.

well, when you buy a g92 based card, at least you know you are getting something that has been battle tested beyond belief.

It has survived 3 generations of nVidia cards.

And about the same from ATi/AMD.

Beast core there.

But OT:

I'm still holding out for a "X2" monkier. and the 59xx to actually be just better QA versions of the Cypress core.

Lets just go back to ultra basics and name cards extremely simply.

"Introducing our latest card, the ATI-1. Stay tuned cause in a few months well be releasing the ATI-2, with future plans for the ATI-3 next year."

Does anyone know if there is a power converter from any arrangement of molex or 6 pin PCIE connectors to the new 8 pin PCIE connector. I have the Antec Quattro 850w which only comes with 6 pin and really don't want to have to drop another £100-150 on a new PSU on top of what is probably going to be about £500 for the card itself.

I can't find anything in online UK shops like ebuyer and overclockers.

*edit* Just read back through some of the older cards that require 8 pin like the GTX280 and that card came with a dual 6pin to 8 pin adaptor so I guess they exist, I just hope the cards actually ship with them, they must surely...when 6pin PCIE was new they were providing dual molex to PCIE

I currently have crossfire 4870s which are dual 6 pin PCIE power connectors each so technically less power for 1 5970 since it's going to require the equivelent of only 3x 6 pin PCIE (with adaptor)

Interesting to think it's 2 molex connectors for 1 6 pin PCIE so I'd need 8 molex connectors to power my current rig, and 6 molex connectors just to power 1 5970, lol...

Last edited:
Absolutely massive. I'd have to rearrange my WC setup to accomodate that thing.

I think I'll just be getting a second 5870 down the road...or maybe a 5890.

Äre you shure you don't have 8 pin connectores. I have the same psu. And i have 2 cables for 8 pin pci-e cards. They connect to the 2 red outlets.

Äre you shure you don't have 8 pin connectores. I have the same psu. And i have 2 cables for 8 pin pci-e cards. They connect to the 2 red outlets.

I think I have 1 8 pin thats for the motherboard, not 100% sure on that.

I think that PSU may have been revised because I did check online and it says it has 2 8 pin connectors in the specs but I don't recall seeing them at all, I've had that PSU quite a while now.

I'll check when I get home, one thing is for sure, apart from the motherboard connector I don't recall seeing any 8 pin cables for it (it's modular so cables completely unplug)

Maybe im just going completely mad, I wouldn't rule that out...

Is this a good PSU to support this card?

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NTk=

I am a noob when it comes to building systems from scratch, will I be limited with only 1 8-pin and 1 6-pin PCI-E connectors leftover? I assume I could even x-fire two 5970's in the future if I wanted to, but then what would power the rest of the system (CD Drive, Sound Card, other peripherals?) or am I missing something basic about how these peripherals get powered?

Looking at an Antec 1200 case

I think I have 1 8 pin thats for the motherboard, not 100% sure on that.

I think that PSU may have been revised because I did check online and it says it has 2 8 pin connectors in the specs but I don't recall seeing them at all, I've had that PSU quite a while now.

I'll check when I get home, one thing is for sure, apart from the motherboard connector I don't recall seeing any 8 pin cables for it (it's modular so cables completely unplug)

Maybe im just going completely mad, I wouldn't rule that out...

Most 8 pin connectors come as a 6 + 2. It will look like a 6 pin connector with a little 2 pin thingy hanging off the side.

Is this a good PSU to support this card?

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NTk=

I am a noob when it comes to building systems from scratch, will I be limited with only 1 8-pin and 1 6-pin PCI-E connectors leftover? I assume I could even x-fire two 5970's in the future if I wanted to, but then what would power the rest of the system (CD Drive, Sound Card, other peripherals?) or am I missing something basic about how these peripherals get powered?

Looking at an Antec 1200 case

PCI-express connectors are really only used for graphics cards. Most other peripherals are powered by SATA power connectors.

That psu is fine, Don't need that much power for 1 5970 but its always nice to have an upgrade path open.

Oh God, and that "we're naming it 'x' but it's actually the same hardware as the old product 'y' but for no real reason we're going to change the name and call it 'x' instead" crap is the worst.

Yes, I hate it when ATi did that :( Really screwed people buying on a budget over.

On-topic: Soon GPUs will become the case :D Other than the last couple of Voodoo cards, has there ever been a card this long?

Most 8 pin connectors come as a 6 + 2. It will look like a 6 pin connector with a little 2 pin thingy hanging off the side.

Hmm yeah I might recall seeing that actually, I just looked at a review of my PSU and the red ports on the PSU itself are actually 6 pin, so does it transfer 6 pins to 8 on the cable...bleh I guess I will just wait a few hours until I get home...it's really bugging me now xD

Hmm yeah I might recall seeing that actually, I just looked at a review of my PSU and the red ports on the PSU itself are actually 6 pin, so does it transfer 6 pins to 8 on the cable...bleh I guess I will just wait a few hours until I get home...it's really bugging me now xD

Do you know what model your psu is?

The real question isn't when it released, it when it will be in stock. I don't see this happening for at least 2-3 months.

PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 8-Pin that's what Newegg says about it. Not sure if the Uk model is that much different.

Usually the only difference is the powercord they provide with it and a tweaked manual :)

OK I know probably no one cares but I got home and checked, theres 2 red 6 pin PCIE power slots on the PSU itself and 2 of the cables are 6 pin with a little 2 pin dongle bit hanging off the side as FranklyShankly said.

I actually have 2 of those red ports plugged in 1 4870 I guess it act like a normal 6 pin PCIE connector without the additional 2 pins, otherwise that card is getting way too much power :}

Dear ATI/AMD:

Please, PLEASE name this card the 5870X2 - or the 5970X2 (if you've revised the core much in the way the 4970's received an update over the 4870s).

Don't pull an nVidia and go hogwild on the naming schemes. Nobody agrees with that tactic. Keep your nomenclature constant between generations, and keep the number of SKU's being offered reasonable.

kthxbye.

OMG yes you are so right. Please AMD keep the names sane.

OK I know probably no one cares but I got home and checked, theres 2 red 6 pin PCIE power slots on the PSU itself and 2 of the cables are 6 pin with a little 2 pin dongle bit hanging off the side as FranklyShankly said.

I actually have 2 of those red ports plugged in 1 4870 I guess it act like a normal 6 pin PCIE connector without the additional 2 pins, otherwise that card is getting way too much power :}

I wouldn't worry too much about that. IF the 5970 is available (meaning those who want it camp out at the e-tailers the night before) it will most likely come with a 2 molex to 8pin and 2 molex to 6 pin adapters. I have loads of the molex to 6 pins sitting around.

Though ghetto, they get the job done... :D

BTW... Happy you found your 8pins connectors.

Dear ATI/AMD:

Please, PLEASE name this card the 5870X2 - or the 5970X2 (if you've revised the core much in the way the 4970's received an update over the 4870s).

Don't pull an nVidia and go hogwild on the naming schemes. Nobody agrees with that tactic. Keep your nomenclature constant between generations, and keep the number of SKU's being offered reasonable.

kthxbye.

Actually it was called the 4890, not the 4970 and if AMD kept the 59XX name to only dual-GPU cards it would make more sense. Then we could have the single GPU cards, 5850, 5870, possible in the future 5890 and the dual GPU cards 5950, 5970, and 5990.

Nvidia's names made no sense where there were two completely different 8800GTS' and 9800GTX was an 8800GTS and the GTS250 was a 9800GTX. There was also two different GTX260s

Yeah I'll be doing some etailer camping for sure, if that card is spec'd up the same as 2 5870s then i'll be trying my hardest to get one at release, hopefully before the 40nm waifers run out.

I checked some other cards like the GTX280 and they come with 2 6pin PCIE to 8 pin PCIE, I think its 2 molex for 1 6 pin, so you'd need like 6 molex connectors equivelent for this bad boy :)

Yeah I'll be doing some etailer camping for sure...

Ahh yes... The sad image of having your eyeballs glued to the LCD monitor while you hit the refresh button obsessively 12 hours in a row, and refusing to answer natures calls. All of that and scripting your credit card details makes your mouth water doesn't it? hahaha....

Sad how these days you have to get rabid to own the latest and greatest. Even money won't get you these cards. Wait... Well, if you willing to pay $40-50 dollars over MSRP you may score one. hahaha...

Like uncle Frank in "One Crazy Summer" staying by the phone. :D

So if someone wanted to get two of these bad-boys for ....greed-sake, to pair up with say a iCore 920 @ 3.8-4.2ish ghz what would be the minimum power supply our looking at? Would 800 watts be sufficient since ATI is fairly energy/psu-friendly? (in comparison to nVidia's current line up anyways)

Actually it was called the 4890, not the 4970 and if AMD kept the 59XX name to only dual-GPU cards it would make more sense. Then we could have the single GPU cards, 5850, 5870, possible in the future 5890 and the dual GPU cards 5950, 5970, and 5990.

Nvidia's names made no sense where there were two completely different 8800GTS' and 9800GTX was an 8800GTS and the GTS250 was a 9800GTX. There was also two different GTX260s

3 GTX 260

GTX260 c192 65nm
GTX260 c216 65nm
GTX260 c216 55nm <-- reference has a cheaper cooler then the 65nm version, so temps are HIGHER!

So if someone wanted to get two of these bad-boys for ....greed-sake, to pair up with say a iCore 920 @ 3.8-4.2ish ghz what would be the minimum power supply our looking at? Would 800 watts be sufficient since ATI is fairly energy/psu-friendly? (in comparison to nVidia's current line up anyways)

800 would be fine...as long as it's a high-end PSU.

BTW I'm also looking forward to this card, reckon it will be awesome.
JUst looked at the inside of my case and has around 2-3" fomr the end of the GTX275's to the HDD cage so I'm guessing it will fit.

That card will fit in my case easy...........just need the money to buy one to proove it...:D

I think you'd probably just about get away with a high end 850W PSU like the Antec Quattro, not some cheapy 850W.

But depends on additional kit, at the moment I've got 4 sata hard drives and soon adding a 5th so probably in my rig my 850W would probably struggle with 2 5970s

Must, Start, Saving, Or just wait until these come out and hopefully the 5850/70s drop in price :)

Will this 5970 be good for MMO's like WoW and Eyefinity ? I currently have the single 5870, and play across 5760x1200res, and in some areas it can get a bit choppy. Would this dual GPU be better or worse for WoW ? The reason I am afraid it could be worse is because I thought some MMO's like WoW have issues with Crossfire and SLI and actually do worse in the game than a single card ? Like WoW only notices one GPU, so a dual GPU card like the GTX-295 and 4870x2 perform worse in WoW than the GTX-285 and single 4870 ? Is that still true.

I will dump this 5870 to my Brother who is looking to go Eyefinity across his 3 20" Viewsonic monitors

Last edited:
Guys I just talked to a friend that works in the sales department of a large wholesale company here in europe.

I won't be more specific than europe because I dont want him to get in trouble but he mailed me today and said that unofficially the card is being released on november the 16th.

If that's when the wholesale company gets the cards or if its when they ship it out to retailers he didn't say.

Tiv

Guys I just talked to a friend that works in the sales department of a large wholesale company here in europe.

I won't be more specific than europe because I dont want him to get in trouble but he mailed me today and said that unofficially the card is being released on november the 16th.

If that's when the wholesale company gets the cards or if its when they ship it out to retailers he didn't say.

Tiv

That sounds about right. I was hearing it was coming this month for sure, just no specific date. Any word on the Eyefinity-6 card ? I am more interested in that one, would love to do 5x1 Portrait setup :eek:

I think we now know why ATI set the core of the 5870 at 850 from the get go, so that it was same or slightly lower specs as the 5970 instead of 900-925 core which I don't think I've seen one person not hit on a 5870 yet. So we could also assume a 5950 based off the 5850 and possibly a 5890/5990 refresh later on. Hmmm....

Will this 5970 be good for MMO's like WoW and Eyefinity ? I currently have the single 5870, and play across 5760x1200res, and in some areas it can get a bit choppy.

That sounds about right. I was hearing it was coming this month for sure, just no specific date. Any word on the Eyefinity-6 card ? I am more interested in that one, would love to do 5x1 Portrait setup :eek:
I'd think adding two more monitors over your current three wouldn't help performance.

Unless it has 4GB, 2GB/core from the start it is not interesting the least. It better has this or they will lose some customers(me perhaps that want 2 of these) to the green team later on when GF100 do have 2/4GB as option and money is no object for some buyers so that reson just went away to not offer a true highend card. 1GB is not enough anymore for us 1920x1200++ and eyecandy users.

Tiv
NDA ends on the 19th

725/1000 MHz are the clock speeds of the 5970 (5870-X2) ... also expect a Cypress XTX and a "surprise" in Q1 from AMD

by the way, here's the "eyefinity six" 5870
http://translate.google.com/transla.../0/458/458240.shtml&rurl=translate.google.com

Last edited:
Unless it has 4GB, 2GB/core from the start it is not interesting the least. It better has this or they will lose some customers(me perhaps that want 2 of these) to the green team later on when GF100 do have 2/4GB as option and money is no object for some buyers so that reson just went away to not offer a true highend card. 1GB is not enough anymore for us 1920x1200++ and eyecandy users.

I would say "money is no object" for so few people it doesn't generate much revenue for either company. In the grand scheme of things, a tiny fraction of people will buy 1 of these cards, let alone 2.

Back