Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review - First Results Up!

Glad to see tested what I've known all along. These Bulldozer processors aren't slouches and actually perform very nicely. I don't get slowdowns, glitches, etc in games. I kill other players just fine in FPS, MMOs, etc. I don't have to turn my graphics or feature set of the game I'm play down to compete. Same settings that an Intel system picks I would run without issues.

Thank you for the testing!

i was just looking over some of the numbers. the one test ill looked up was the avp benchmarks. the drivers used in tomshardware benchmarks were 11.2, compared to your 12.1. that is a year in driver improvements. without using the same drivers for the gpuu based benchmarks the numbers really dont mean much.

Driver differences account for maybe 5-10% performance for old games. They only really make significant difference for newer games released after older drivers.

sorry for the hyatus everyone! I am doing a system upgrade to 8 gb, and getting another motherboard as my crosshair V is now dead. I could use your help, which ddr3 kit is better? :cool:

poll on my blog!

http://AMDFX.blogspot.com

thanks for your patience and help ^^

Here are some pics of my new motherboard + ram together. New Post with New benchmarks April 20th.

---

Exit
ASUS Crosshair V +
4 Gb Gskill 2200 CL7

---

Enter
GA-990FX-UD7 +
8 Gb Team Xtreem 2400 CL9

IMG-20120403-00126.jpg

The first thing that came to mind when I first laid eyes on my new Gigabyte 990FX UD7 board was that it was quite the beautiful board. Much respect for the simple PCIE 16x slot latches, the Crosshair V uses a more traditional type, and sleek heatsink design.

EDIT: It should be noted that I received a revision 1.1 board from Newegg Canada, and that it does have Load Line Calibration (LLC) controls in the bios.

IMG-20120403-00125.jpg

The new Team Xtreem DDR3 ram has a cheap but cool looking reflecting sticker, but what is most appealing are the stats: 2400 Mhz @ Cl9, which is only surpassed by Corsair's grossly overpriced and discontinued Dominator GT dual channel flagship memory.

IMG-20120403-00115.jpg

The memory height is not found online, and could be helpful to potential buyers.

Team Xtreem memory height : 52mm

Promlatech Genesis allowed height: 54mm

So this is awfully close to the tallest ram you could use with this cooler. I have seen Dominator GT ram at a height of 54mm barley fitting underneath the heat sink, found here, and a 53 mm Corsair Vengeance stick here.

IMG-20120403-00117.jpg

I am hoping to hit 2600 Mhz speeds with these sticks overclocked, and see exactly where 8 gb benefits over 4 gb with an AMD setup. We shall see in the weeks to come!

Back