Return 670

Zarich

Limp Gawd
Sorry to ask again, but I ordered this card:
http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForc...qid=1362702069&sr=8-2&keywords=galaxy+gtx+670

and it arrived today. Sitting here, in it's box.
When I ordered two weeks ago there was a good deal $338AR. That seemed like a good price for this card. I had decided that I would not go ATI again due to issue with games initially in my 5850s life. But after I ordered and started researching I see that ATI has really turned around and the 7950 seems to spank the 670 when overclocked. This reminds me of the 9800pro days (one of my favorite cards).

So I looked it up and I can send this back to amazon for $5 return shipping. Then order a sapphire 7950 boost for $270 AR with two games (one I want to play and one I want to sell).

But I am still really torn. In many ways I want to run the Nvidia card, but then start thinking about the 2gb of ram and knowing that the 700s are right around the corner which will be faster and I can almost guarantee have more ram.

I game mainly at 1920x1080 (5850 is running 810,1100 right now) and am feeling like I spending unnecessary money.

My rig until Haswell arrives (upgrading then) is only a q9550 at 3.4 with 6gigs ddr2 800.

Not to turn you all into my shrinks.. but what should I do.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would stay green personally. Between driver issues, lack of driver support compared to nvidia, and the fact that the 670 overclocks very well also, I would just stay nvidia.

Sorry to ask again, but I ordered this card:
http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForc...qid=1362702069&sr=8-2&keywords=galaxy+gtx+670

and it arrived today. Sitting here, in it's box.
When I ordered two weeks ago there was a good deal $338AR. That seemed like a good price for this card. I had decided that I would not go ATI again due to issue with games initially in my 5850s life. But after I ordered and started researching I see that ATI has really turned around and the 7950 seems to spank the 670 when overclocked. This reminds me of the 9800pro days (one of my favorite cards).

So I looked it up and I can send this back to amazon for $5 return shipping. Then order a sapphire 7950 boost for $270 AR with two games (one I want to play and one I want to sell).

But I am still really torn. In many ways I want to run the Nvidia card, but then start thinking about the 2gb of ram and knowing that the 700s are right around the corner which will be faster and I can almost guarantee have more ram.

I game mainly at 1920x1080 (5850 is running 810,1100 right now) and am feeling like I spending unnecessary money.

My rig until Haswell arrives (upgrading then) is only a q9550 at 3.4 with 6gigs ddr2 800.

Not to turn you all into my shrinks.. but what should I do.
I have had nothing but great play on my 5850. I am playing crysis on all very high, no AA, it gets slow sometimes, but looks awesome. :) Never had problems with any games, even with eyefinity.
If you only game at 1080, then 2gb-3gb is fine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How bout you give the green a chance, install it and try it out...?

Not to mention it will retain a higher resale value even after the 7 series drops.... throw it in...

If you're going to buy the game anyway the 670 +game will cost you $370, while the 7850 +selling one game will cost you $240 for similar performance. I'd let the money talk.

However if you've had issues with ATI in the past you need to look into whether there's still issues with what you're going to be doing with it before you send the green one back.

the game thing is a bit of a wash because the credits for the ftp games are going for $25 each for the two, and only about $18 for the third so I would sell all those for about $60 or so..
actually I take that back.. just looked online and AMD bundle going for $40-50 same as nvidia bunble.. prices coming down as market floods.

Last edited:
knowing that the 700s are right around the corner

Are they? seems like nvidia and amd have an unspoken agreement to let the graphics card market stagnate, I was resigned to the prospect of not seeing any new cards until late 2013. Is there some more solid rumour that new gpus will be launched sooner?

Are they? seems like nvidia and amd have an unspoken agreement to let the graphics card market stagnate, I was resigned to the prospect of not seeing any new cards until late 2013. Is there some more solid rumour that new gpus will be launched sooner?

well, if you consider around the corner 1Q 2014 at the earliest... :D

well, if you consider around the corner 1Q 2014 at the earliest... :D
Quite, but I understand the OP's dilemma. GTX 670 cards have dropped approx 10% in price since launch. They will be replaced at some point, maybe late Q4 or Q1 next year, at which point they will be worth maybe 30%-40% of the price paid now?

Is it worth it to buy now and accept the loss? only the individual buyer can really say.

I think the one possibility that might mess with any attempt to predict the amortisation is if there is unexpectedly a GTX 675 type card released before mid-late summer.

Last edited:
Well that deal is dead.. so it would be at best $300 vs $340 now.. or at least until the next deal.

I think you mean 7950 for similar performance. A 7850 isn't comparable to a 670.

I got the same GTX670 as the OP for $350 AR back in early January. Before my purchase I was waffling between the cheaper reference designs and, of course, the cheaper 7950 deals going on at the time. Looking back, I don't regret it. The custom cooler on this thing is easily worth paying $50 extra.

Another thing to think about is that games depreciate in value worse than hardware. So unless you're dying to play those particular titles right now, they shouldn't even be a factor. Wait a couple months down the road and those games will be on sale for half their current retail. Hold out for the Steam Summer Sale and pick them up for 60-75% off.

Plus the whole experience vs benchmarks thing going on lately is rather enlightening. I can find all sorts of reason to stay green, even if I didn't like the card.

I wouldn't say "Spanks"....

I would stay green because of the better SLI scaling in the future.

Trust me, this card will rock you, and you'll love it. You're CPU is holding you back anyways... You wouldn't even notice the difference. You'll just be wasting precious awesome gaming time. :D

Well that deal is dead.. so it would be at best $300 vs $340 now.. or at least until the next deal.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-7950BST

the same sapphire card at superbiiz for USD 300 with shipping (280 after rebate) after $7 OFF your order over $49 w/code: SBZSHAKE, ends 03/11 .

this is a very good deal. just 10 bucks over the newegg deal. think and decide. since you mention you will play one of the games and sell the other. you can looking at getting USD 30 for a single game as the retail cost is USD 60. so thats USD 250 after selling a game and keeping the other game which saves you USD 60. so actual price is USD 190. :)

remember that at the same clocks HD 7950 is 3 - 6% slower than HD 7970. 925 mhz stock boost. this card can easily overclock to 1150 mhz and will be on par with GTX 670(1250 Mhz). make sure to max out power control to +20% and avoid clock throttling

What is the downside to me keeping it.
Am I truly throwing money away?

I've been burned a few times with poor ATI/AMD drivers, just install the GTX 670 and call it a day.

benchmarks are one thing, but the real world difference is very little. Enough that unless your benchmarking you wont notice a difference. Since you have one at hand, I would stick with it. Its a very solid card that performs excellent and excels in many aspects.

Your not going to loose anything except time.

benchmarks are one thing, but the real world difference is very little. Enough that unless your benchmarking you wont notice a difference. Since you have one at hand, I would stick with it. Its a very solid card that performs excellent and excels in many aspects.

Your not going to loose anything except time.

EXACTLY. You're wasting time even reading your thread and my post right now, and not installing that card, and gaming in all it's glory.

YOU WON'T NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE!!!

I have had driver issues with Nvidia, so none of them are perfect.

So have I, no one's perfect, but AMD seems to keep screwing up. Last time I had an AMD driver issue, it was a showstopper that took more than a year for them to fix and by then I sold the card out of frustration. Last time I had an nVidia driver issue, it was a minor video rendering issue with Media Center and the problem was fixed on the next driver release and never came back.

In all honesty Zarich. If you're going to play the wait and see option you will never upgrade. There is nothing amazing around the corner till 2014-2015. The PC market is slowing down and thus so will AMD and Nvidia in introducing another 8800 GTX.

You're a 1080P gamer! Most of the top end cards (as of right now) can eat anything you throw at it at 1080P. Stop worrying about what's around the corner. Check if the video card has feature set 11_1 and has plenty of RAM to last you a few years of service.

I still haven't encountered anything hardware breaking on my crossfire 7970s. I can play all my games at day one with no issue. The only game I can't play at day one is SimCity Origin edition ;) Give AMD a try if you like it keep it. If you don't you can always return it while you're at the 30 day window of purchase.

So have I, no one's perfect, but AMD seems to keep screwing up. Last time I had an AMD driver issue, it was a showstopper that took more than a year for them to fix and by then I sold the card out of frustration. Last time I had an nVidia driver issue, it was a minor video rendering issue with Media Center and the problem was fixed on the next driver release and never came back.

Well my Nvidia issue took months to fix. It was back in my WOW days. I also have never had to RMA a AMD card, I did have to RMA my GTX 8800, which was also the card I had driver issues. I have had way more AMD cards over the last some odd years, back when i first started, it was all Nvidia. I will buy which ever is the best value at the time.

Well my Nvidia issue took months to fix. It was back in my WOW days. I also have never had to RMA a AMD card, I did have to RMA my GTX 8800, which was also the card I had driver issues. I have had way more AMD cards over the last some odd years, back when i first started, it was all Nvidia. I will buy which ever is the best value at the time.

I'm wondering the same thing. Am I totally immune to these magical AMD driver issues. Never had any issues with my 5970 and no hardware lockups with my 7970s. I can switch to SLI 680s with no issue to Crossfire 7970s with no issues.

I'm wondering the same thing. Am I totally immune to these magical AMD driver issues. Never had any issues with my 5970 and no hardware lockups with my 7970s. I can switch to SLI 680s with no issue to Crossfire 7970s with no issues.

I would love to go back and use an Nvidia card, I have nothing against them. But its obvious to me when it comes to price performance AMD cards are a better value. The 7950 is a sick card with the overclocking, at a cheaper price than a 670. Just because I had the one issue with Nvidia many years ago doesn't mean I just give up on them. Nothing will ever be perfect in building a computer, dealing with drivers and games.

Well,
I think I am gonna send it back tomorrow.
I just can't get over the fact that it seems they made some errors this gen and are now behind. I will wait for a deal on a 7950 or 7970.

Thanks

Back