Rethink Posting Private Info

HardOCP News

[H] News
To me, this one is a no-brainer, people should not post too much private info on the internet. Some people just don’t use their head when it comes to protecting themselves online.

Rachel Hutson removed some photos from her college sorority days after she took a job as a civilian working for the military. She's also made her Facebook and MySpace profiles private, so that only friends she approves can see it. "I just don't want certain people to find me," says Hutson, who's 23 and lives in Newport News, Va.

Speaking of not using your head, the girl above wanted privacy so she set her MySpace account to “private” ….and then allowed the Associated Press and Washington Post print her full name, age and city. Now that is funny!

I'll admit... I'm pretty dumb in the online privacy thing. My facebook shows my apartment complex and apartment number... and my telephone number.

/rethinks decision.

However, that chick sure was dumb though... post up age, location and full name haha

I scanned my drivers licence, social security, and everything on myspace. It's sweet. ;)

Some domain owners also have private info posted in their DNS contact info.

Both of my domains are privately registered. 1&1 did it for free, too. I jumped on it. They say it's good to prevent spam.

Typically it's good to be careful, but usually you have to stand out to someone for them to target you. Sometimes it's random perhaps. There's probably far too much personal information out there and too few identity stealers. :p

You can browse your Facebook privacy settings and tweak them accordingly. I recommend at least looking at the Search settings. I have my profile set up to only be viewed by people in my selected networks, and my picture is not shown through searches. People who find me can poke, send a message, or try to add me as a friend.

It's a touchy issue. The only true way to be safe is to unplug your modem.

You can find out all kinds of info about me...it is really quite easy...age, sex, occupation, probably where I live(or at least about where I live). There is even a picture of me I uploaded once.
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...=44.597544,82.265625&om=1&iwloc=A&sa=N&tab=iw

http://images.google.com/images?ie=...=44.597544,82.265625&om=1&iwloc=A&sa=N&tab=wi
(don't ask about that last pic found, I have no idea where that came from)

All what some might consider as personal information. I really don't see any need to hide anything I have released.

Just don't be stupid and release something like your CC# to anything other than a known, legit company(like amazon) to buy something.

But really, what could someone do with info like my real name, where I live, how old I am, what sex I am, etc?

EXreaction said:
But really, what could someone do with info like my real name, where I live, how old I am, what sex I am, etc?
You're kidding right? There's an 18 year old kid right now in Plymouth, WI that has a lot to learn about what people do with information.

TypeO said:
You're kidding right? There's an 18 year old kid right now in Plymouth, WI that has a lot to learn about what people do with information.
And?

Unless type0 has some kind of government secret, Im guessing this is what we all should be concerned about, in regards to posting personal information online. Ive now had some of my information supposedly lost/stolen, once due to someone having a laptop stolen which had my information from the airforce, and once again when I applied for a position at a local hydrolelectric plant :mad:.

With the information just off the bills/spam I get in the mail, im sure someone could get a credit card in my name.

Back