Restrict internet usage

Teen-Pound

Weaksauce
How would I restrict internet usage to individual accounts on Windows Server 2000?

You might also consider giving people a little more than 20 minutes to respond. Not everyone lives on the forums...

How would I go about doing it through a sonicwall router? I just want to block out certain machines from accessing the internet. I would like to just block certain user accounts but that would be much more complicated.

Thanks

If you want to block individual users, I would recommend ISA Server in a Windows environment as it has complete Active Directory integration. Your other option is to assign static IPs to the machines you want to block and create rules to do so on the SonicWall firewall.

Awesome thanks.

I'm a noob. What would go in the Source and Destination IP ? The source would be the PC that i'm restricting and the Destination would be what?

I haven't ever used a SonicWall, but the general logic would be:

Source: (Restricted Machine IP)
Destination: Any
Protocol (Port): HTTP, HTTPS (80,443)

I already have 3 gatesways on my network. The Internet Monitoring software acts as another gateway. Will this cause any conflicts??

Or how about setting something up so they have to login through a browser to gain access to the internet?

Which Sonicwall? TZ150, 170, 2040 etc... Are you running Standard OS or Enhanced? there are different ways with both, some more info please....

I think you would be better off getting on the phone with Sonicwall and having them walk you through it.

Not only can you instantly ask them questions, but they can help you with the basics (which is what you are asking anyways). Plus, they know how to exactly configure their own stuff- and guide you through that.

use GPO to set the users IE security to high and add no websites to the list of trusted sites

If you GPO and Active Directory you can lock down users' access or rights to anything you want, or give them as much freedom as you want.

Back