restoring VMPlayer Window size

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I have a really obnoxious problem with VMWare Player. If I restore the application after having it maximized, it resizes to an incredibly small size -- maybe 200x200 pixels. This resizes the machine inside it, and exacerbates bugs in the hosted OS. For example, Ubuntu ends up resizing terminal windows and moving them off the desktop.

Is there a way to cause VMWare Player to normalize its window to the last normalized window size instead of using an absurdly small size?

I don't have that problem with vmplayer here...player starts up in the same size window that was up when I shut down the VM

(using v5.0.2 build-1031769)

I'm not referring startup or shutdown -- just maximize and restore while the hosted VM is active.

Sorry, couldnt replicate it with my XP, Vista or Win7 VM's n vmware player...maximize the VM window..vm screen maximizes, open an app, maximize the app, then right click on the icon and choose restore...goes back to how I opened it

Interesting. The issue manifests on all of my host machines, which are Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. But I'm hosting Ubuntu.

I had figured the problem was my dual monitor setup -- my main monitor is on the right and my secondary monitor is on the left, so it has negative coordinates and that often screws-up applications which aren't multi-mon compatible. But the issue reproduces on my laptop, so it's got to be more than that.

I poked around a bit and found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware Player\VMplayer\Window position , and I'll try monkeying with the values in there.

Back