Restored Win7 image to my SSD but computer wont boot from it..any ideas?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hi all!
After so many years of computer use (tandy coco , c64 era) this is the first time ever I am trying to restore from an image.
I formatted the SSD, updated the firmware and installed Drive Snapshot on Vista 64 so that I could use it to restore the image of Windows 7 I have.
Well, it went through the process but when I select the drive as main HDD in Bios to boot from it, it just ignores it and continues to the second drive on the list.
The partition is markes as active as well.
I do recall the drive used to have a smaller 50MB or so partition when I installed Windows 7 originally which it does not have now.
I tried a repair start up with the Windows 7 disc but now instead of moving on to the next drive, it just hangs there.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Is the drive marked 'Active'. That means it can be booted from.

You can either do this by plugging it into another Windows computer and using Disk Management or using something like Parted Magic Desktop.

Im confused...
you have an image of Win7 (is this a whole disk image or C: partition image?)
you installed drive snapshot on vista64 to restore the image?

You shouldnt have to format the SSD to restore the image, the image is a formatted drive copy, no?
ideally you should boot from a thumb drive or network to restore images, Ive had bad luck trying to restore images from within windows, but very very little problem when booting from a thumb drive.

Since your missing that small partition, it sounds like your Win7 image is only of the C drive, not the whole drive with the boot loader info on that small partition

I was able to solve it by running the image restore again and I got a message from Drive Snapshot that the image might not be bootable so I followed the steps to fix it with CMD then had to do a start up repair for the Bootmgr and that was it...not as seamless as I was hoping but I am back in shape.
I only formatted cause one of the firmware updates I did for my SSD required a format.
Thanks guys!

most likely that 50mb partition had the boot file in it. so when the bootloader couldn't find any on the current active partition, it went to the first drive it found with valid boot files.

Back