Restore pendrive

69Rixter

I have a Kingston DT101 16Gb that recently reverted to "read only" status (no idea how it got that way). After reverting/removing the write only policy, the drive's writing/transfer rate dropped to less than half of what it used to be. Before the write protection, it would transfer @ 5.5Mb/s (at least) and now, at best, it writes at 2.4Mb/s. Tested it on 3 different machines and same results. Tested all my other 2.0 pendrives on same machines and they all ran at 5.7Mb/s or much higher. So, question: can this pendrive be reimaged, or re-built to it's original state? Also, anyone know what may have caused this drive to revert to write only? I'm not concerned with the price or disposability of the drive, I want to know why and how to repair it...if possible.

Keep Pushin' On:

Rick

go into disk manager delete the partition and creat a new one. if its still slow, file it under g and get an new drive.
ps this could have been asked in the other thread...

Re: auntjemima: ?? "How Dare You"?? Who are you refering to and if me, then , How dare I WHAT?

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: pendragon1 What, exactly, would this procedure accomplish? The reason I didn't ask "in the other thread" is that I want to close that thread. There are/were a couple of a-holes there I couldn't put up with and besides, that thread had a different heading (question). Here's a thought... what would you think of running a complete "wipe" (not format) of the pendrive? (or is that what deleting the partition would do?)

Stay Sharp:

Rick

RE: pendragon1 What, exactly, would this procedure accomplish? The reason I didn't ask "in the other thread" is that I want to close that thread. There are/were a couple of a-holes there I couldn't put up with and besides, that thread had a different heading (question). Here's a thought... what would you think of running a complete "wipe" (not format) of the pendrive? (or is that what deleting the partition would do?)

Stay Sharp:

Rick

yes dumping the partition, creating an new one and reformatting the drive will wipe it. if the speed doesnt go back to "normal" then the drive is just worn out, which happens, and is garbage.
ps: signing every post is againt the rules as noted before... do you say good bye every two sentences irl, im guessing not.

RE: ryan_975 Alright...gonna give it a go. Get back to you soon

THANX:

Rick

Re: EVERYONE This is a thought I had before I learned about the tool Ryan suggested. What about completely 'wiping" the drive. I don't mean a format, but a complete "nuke"? And, if Ryan's suggestion doesn't work out, and I were to nuke it, what program would I\ could I use to re-establish use of the drive? And don't forget, when providing an opinion, please state so!

Another Day, Another Dollar...in debt

Rick

as stated on that tool's page, a normal repartition/format might degrade performance. so try the tool first and then if the speed still sucks then its not possible to "fix". turf the drive and spend $20 on a new one.
also, repartitioning and reformatting is a "nuke" unless you are talking a secure erase which is something else.
and quit with the signing every post.

Stay Sharp:

Rick

I spend the time to run the numbers and not even a thanks. I'm right cheesed off.

RE: RANULFO-- "I spend the time to run the numbers and not even a thanks. I'm right cheesed off"

Why did you post this? I looked back in this thread and you've offered nothing!!! Run the numbers for what?

RE: ryan_975

Appreciate your response. Uhm... used the program from the link you provided. Have you used this program previously? When I 'ran" the program 2 issues arose. #1. It didn't allow for FAT32 formatting #2. The "progress bar" only ran up to abut 75% even though it said the process was complete? I couldn't find an updated version of that program? Anyways, THANX just the same!!

Keep Pushin'

Rick

RE: pendragon 1:

Yell tell me to stop replying to every post, but you do exactly the same thing, then you say to stop thread jumping, which I'm not. This thread is NOT the same as the one your referring to. NOW, it's time I post you up. Get off my thread. Your arrogance and self-important attitude is nothing short of childish, immature behaviour. You have nothing of importance to offer here, which begs the question "Why are you even here?" Let those with intelligence and experience speak and stop bothering them...and me!!!

Yell tell me to stop replying to every post, but you do exactly the same thing, then you say to stop thread jumping, which I'm not. This thread is NOT the same as the one your referring to. NOW, it's time I post you up. Get off my thread. Your arrogance and self-important attitude is nothing short of childish, immature behaviour. You have nothing of importance to offer here, which begs the question "Why are you even here?" Let those with intelligence and experience speak and stop bothering them...and me!!!

He didn't say to stop REPLYING to every post, he said to stop SIGNING every post. He's trying to help you not get banned for not following the rules of the forum.

As far as a self-importance, arrogance, and immaturity goes, take a look at the person saying things like "I didn't ask for your opinion" (when clearly you did), "Nobody cares about your life," "get off my thread," and "a couple a-hole I couldn't put up with".. Everyone in both threads on this topic (which by the way IS the SAME topic about problems your having with your old worn out flash drive) have mostly been trying to help you either 1) not waste your time on a lost cause or 2)help you understand WHY it's a lost cause.

This thread was a wild ride, from start to finish.

Write only occurs in flash drives when they've been worn too much. Consider them mechanical devices, not solid state electronic devices, as counterintuitive as that is. The things have a limited number of write cycle before they, by design, become read only to preserve data.

Consider the drive dead. Do not rely on it. At any point it could corrupt, lose data, or die entirely.

ive been polite and helpfull youre freakout comments have not. good luck with an attitude like that.

RE: RANULFO-- "I spend the time to run the numbers and not even a thanks. I'm right cheesed off"

Why did you post this? I looked back in this thread and you've offered nothing!!! Run the numbers for what?

Nothing!!!??? Well thats a fine how do you do. Perhaps if you checked the thread you locked? Good day sir!

Seriously Rick, I'm just amused that you couldn't take the advice given to you by everyone here. Your drive is old and probably not trustworthy for any data at this point. Move on before your autism gives you an aneurysm and lost data.

Bah, I should have just done a test on an old kingston 512mb I have lying around, see if you noticed.

Back