• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Resolution problem, please help.

Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
718
I shipped my older comp over to my mother in Atlanta but I forgot to turn down the resolution, her monitor only supports up to 1280x1024 so now she gets the message "signal out of range" whenever she loads WinXP, how to fix it? TIA!
 
Have her boot to safe mode, and you should be able to change the resolution from there, or at least create another user account that uses the lower resolution. This should work, if it doesn't, I really don't know.
 
I just tried safe-mode, however, the resolution is automatically set to 800x600 in safe-mode and I can't really change it, every time I change it and click ok, it just automatically goes back to 800x600, and it doesn't seem like it affects the resolution in normal mode either. What am I missing here?
 
I've never had issues with not being able to recover from a bad resolution change after altering settings in safe-mode. Maybe it was a fluke for me....

You could always just disable whatever it is you're using for video output. It should default into VGA, which you can then change on a normal boot up. I am a bit tired right now though, so I might not be making much sense. Someone out there has to know how to fix this.
 
I'm sure you can set the res for something different in safe mode and when you boot in normal mode, it should use the res you selected in safe mode.

The res itself will not change in safe mode.

If that doesn't work, then the best thing would be to go to the device manager while in safe mode and uninstall the Display Adaptor. Then boot into the account normally and it should reinstall the vid card drivers. At that point, it may ask you to reboot. If so, cancel that and change the res to something that can be used on that system. Then reboot and everything should be fine.

 
Well try this ...
you may want to change the monitor profile/driver under safe mode, choose one of the defaul (standard monitor types) ones with lower res, once she boots into normal mode, have her change it to something more approprieate (close to her brand of monitor,etc) and make sure to check that "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box.

Hope this works, I had issues with S%&# like this using S-VID out back in the day, its been a while ... good luck
 
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Have her go into Safe Mode, and remove the drivers for the monitor. If none are loaded...or plug and play monitor is listed...then it should work just fine on it's next boot.
 
Back
Top