Resistance: Fall of Man review @ IGN

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745206p1.html

9.0 Presentation
Insomniac has created a compelling mythos and the unique blend of World War II-level battles with alien technology is a great mix. Expect load times only at the beginning of stages.

8.5 Graphics
A mix of 20th century war machines and intergalactic alien hordes makes for quite the interesting art style. A solid 30fps framerate and plenty of bells and whistles easily impress.

8.5 Sound
When connected to a capable speaker, Resistance will blow your speakers to kingdom come with great audio effects and stellar voice acting. Don't expect to hear much musically, though.

9.0 Gameplay
Experience the best weapons to come along in a shooter for quite some time united with challenging enemies, tight control, smooth online play, and insane boss battles. Seriously fun.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
Between 12-15 hours of single-player action, multiple (and very challenging) difficulty levels, four hidden weapons, unlockable secrets and skill points, and a ton of multiplayer options. Hot!

Outstanding

I await the inevitable f@nboy wars that will erupt over the net between this and gears...

i dunno, ive looked at screenshots and aliens and stuff, i just dont about the game; maybe i just dont like scfi fps games anymore...

deathBOB said:
I don't trust IGN.
I like their 360 coverage/reviews, but I really don't like their PC reviews. We'll see how their PS3 reviews turn out, but that is a pretty impressive score.

VoodooChi|d said:
Glad to see that when I get my PS3 on launch day I will have at least 1 good game :p
Yeah, I'd hate to have to settle for a bunch of mediocre games and ports at launch, like a certain other console.
-cough cough-

:p
Regardless, though, I'm not planning on keeping my PS3 at the moment. I'll get another when they come back in stock.

The18thLetter said:
Yeah, I'd hate to have to settle for a bunch of mediocre games and ports at launch, like a certain other console.
Really wouldn't be so quick to throw stones... Just how many launch PS3 games are exclusive? Now how many of them are good? :D

Psychotext said:
Really wouldn't be so quick to throw stones... Just how many launch PS3 games are exclusive? Now how many of them are good? :D
Probably 2... although that still is better :p

VoodooChi|d said:
Probably 2... although that still is better :p
Gotta love system launches. :D

Though I really can't blame the developers, I mean you're guaranteed the sales but not exactly a lot of them.

Psychotext said:
Gotta love system launches. :D

Though I really can't blame the developers, I mean you're guaranteed the sales but not exactly a lot of them.
1.jpg

:D :D

Psychotext said:
1 has already been labeled an exclusive AAA title, whereas the 360 finally got it's 1 year after launch.

I don't know about you, but that's a promising start.

The18thLetter said:
I don't know about you, but that's a promising start.
I certainly can't argue it, but then I don't see why I would. I'm all for getting as many good games as possible. Short of that game the PS3 launch has been just as "meh" as every other system. Nintendo will be the same, bringing only Zelda as a potential AAA.

But as I said, it's understood why launches work this way and it is unusual in this case that a third party brings an excellent launch title to the party.

Don't forget about Virtua Fighter 5 coming around March.
Not quite in the launch window, but for fighting game fans it's sure to be AAA and exclusive.

VoodooChi|d said:
Glad to see that when I get my PS3 on launch day I will have at least 1 good game :p

Glad to see when I get my Wii on launch day I will have 4 good games for less than the PS3's cost entirely and a few other AAA titles available that I won't have bought yet. Plus, the system is different from the 360, not just the same in almost every way but a Blu-Ray player.

deathBOB said:
I don't trust IGN.

Yeah, this review R E E K S of bias like WOAH. It sounds like an over-excited PR rep wrote the closing scores, to boot!

Psychotext said:
Nintendo will be the same, bringing only Zelda as a potential AAA.

Only Zelda? What about Red Steel, Excite Truck, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, the pack-in Wii Sports, Monkey Ball, etc.? Those have been getting rave feedback from people who have played them, marking them as AAA's as well. None of these are ports, which there are a bunch of too (such as Marvel: UA, NFS:C, CoD3, etc.). The Wii launch seems to be the strongest I've seen basically.

this is just my opinion but i think the wii is completely different from the 360 and ps3, the wii i think is more for kids, i walk in on my little brother all the time playin his gamecube and he's jerkin the controller all around like its actually helping, the wii would be excellent for him, but i know me...i'd be truly embarrased if someone walked in on me playing a wii wippin the controller all around like a dang fool...how many grown men you know wanna whip around the controller while playing games? i dont..so i think the wii cant truly be compared to the 360 and ps3, the wii doesnt have real good graphics so if the controller doesnt hit big then they dont have much...this is just MY opinion though

I watched the video review, and while the game seemed fun it didn't look like anything we haven't seen before. I don't think we'll see this high of a rating from all the other sites as IGN is known to inflate their scores a bit.

I'm sure it's a great game, but it's not enough to get me to buy a PS3. If I ever do pick one up, I'll probably grab this as a greatest hits title somewhere down the road.

JR_Rider said:
this is just my opinion but i think the wii is completely different from the 360 and ps3, the wii i think is more for kids, i walk in on my little brother all the time playin his gamecube and he's jerkin the controller all around like its actually helping, the wii would be excellent for him, but i know me...i'd be truly embarrased if someone walked in on me playing a wii wippin the controller all around like a dang fool...how many grown men you know wanna whip around the controller while playing games? i dont..so i think the wii cant truly be compared to the 360 and ps3, the wii doesnt have real good graphics so if the controller doesnt hit big then they dont have much...this is just MY opinion though

This is so silly I'm not even going to respond to it other than to comment that you have never read a single article or seen a single ACTUAL GAMER video about the Wii.

GoldenTiger said:
Red Steel, Excite Truck, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, the pack-in Wii Sports, Monkey Ball, etc.
No offense, I like the Nintendo and I will be getting one but Red Steel, Excite Truck and the rest you mentioned are not AAA games. I'm sure they're good, and it's a much better attempt at a launch lineup but like I said... not AAA. I will agree that it's the best launch lineup I've seen for a very long time.

Oh, and for the record I think the graphics on Red Steel look like trash, but it's probably fun to play which is why people are excited.

[Edit - I should clarify, AAA games are supposed to be the best of the best... the only launch game I think can manage that is Zelda this is also based on opinions from previews I've been reading.]

JR_Rider said:

Haha! That's the stupidest thing I've ever read.

The Wii controller is one step closer to a keyboard and mouse. It's no different than whipping your mouse around while playing a computer game.

Psychotext said:
No offense, I like the Nintendo and I will be getting one but Red Steel, Excite Truck and the rest you mentioned are not AAA games. I'm sure they're good, and it's a much better attempt at a launch lineup but like I said... not AAA. I will agree that it's the best launch lineup I've seen for a very long time.

Oh, and for the record I think the graphics on Red Steel look like trash, but it's probably fun to play which is why people are excited.

[Edit - I should clarify, AAA games are supposed to be the best of the best... the only launch game I think can manage that is Zelda this is also based on opinions from previews I've been reading.]

Red Steel is one of the most busted-looking games I've ever seen before. The graphics, gameplay, and animation all looked like they were from the N64 era. 1up included a ton of in-game footage on their last show and it looked downright pathetic.

Zelda will deliver in spades. Everything else looks like it leaves a lot to be desired.

The Wii has some good launch titles; however..........

Zelda is also available for the Gamecube.

Rayman and Metal Slug Anthology are also available for the PS2.

The rest look like good games, but they aren't AAA titles or system sellers.

The only systems that had really decent launches were:

PlayStation

Rayman
Ridge Racer
Warhawk
Twisted Metal
Battle Arena Toshinden

Dreamcast

Sonic Adventure
Power Stone
NFL 2K
Soul Calibur
Hydro Thunder
Tokyo Extreme Racer
House Of The Dead 2

Anyway, what happens at launch means little in the long run. The best stuff begins March 07.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
Anyway, what happens at launch means little in the long run. The best stuff begins March 07.

I can agree with that, for sure :).

ManCannon said:
I watched the video review, and while the game seemed fun it didn't look like anything we haven't seen before. I don't think we'll see this high of a rating from all the other sites as IGN is known to inflate their scores a bit.

I'm sure it's a great game, but it's not enough to get me to buy a PS3. If I ever do pick one up, I'll probably grab this as a greatest hits title somewhere down the road.

I totaly agree, the game looks too "generic". Ususaly a AAA title also breaks some new ground in either graphics, gameplay or both, and I don't see this game doing either. It probably is a fun game, but with no inovation I feel that it might get stale quickly.

Now, I haven't played it, so I'm probably not fully qualified to give a final review, but off of what I've seen from gameplay vids, I'd say this game ranks somewhere between and 8 and a 9.

What I want to know is how they tested out the online play. I highly doubt they were able to get a 40 player game going due to the lack of players as the console hasn't launched yet. I don't think they were playing with 39 other game reviewers from competing web sites. Were they playing with people from Japan?

zero002021 said:
What I want to know is how they tested out the online play. I highly doubt they were able to get a 40 player game going due to the lack of players as the console hasn't launched yet. I don't think they were playing with 39 other game reviewers from competing web sites. Were they playing with people from Japan?
Actually it's very possible they could of been playing with other game reviewers and even the game developers themselves (game testers specifically).

That's so true. The action is too Quake3 like. You don't seem to bog at all when running. Most of the AIs do not even have guns. Those that do they don't take cover when they first see you. Looks like when the AIs get too close you can knock them out with your gun.

IceWind said:
After adapting to GOW, FPS's all seem dull and boring now.

The way I see it there has only been one console fps that anyone ever gave two shats about at any given time. Golden eye, perfect dark, halo, halo 2 (*sigh* :p). Will resistance be the next? If not then it goes to the pit.
[grabs popcorn to wait]

Darakian said:
The way I see it there has only been one console fps that anyone ever gave two shats about at any given time. Golden eye, perfect dark, halo, halo 2 (*sigh* :p). Will resistance be the next? If not then it goes to the pit.
[grabs popcorn to wait]

Oh, you forgot GOW

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
The Wii has some good launch titles; however..........

Zelda is also available for the Gamecube.

Rayman and Metal Slug Anthology are also available for the PS2.

The rest look like good games, but they aren't AAA titles or system sellers.

The only systems that had really decent launches were:

PlayStation

Rayman
Ridge Racer
Warhawk
Twisted Metal
Battle Arena Toshinden

Dreamcast

Sonic Adventure
Power Stone
NFL 2K
Soul Calibur
Hydro Thunder
Tokyo Extreme Racer
House Of The Dead 2

I don't believe Rayman was a launch title, and that also came out on the Atari Jaguar, also Tokyo Extreme Racer and Hydro Thunder shouldn't even be considered good launch titles, if anything, Ready 2 Rumble, and Powerstone really did a good job for the dreamcast on launch.

The 360 also had a pretty good launch as well.

Call Of Duty 2
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing 3
Ridge Racer 6
Kameo

not to mention that all games were already XBox Live ready right then and there.

So it's averaging right around a 9.0... that's not too shabby for a launch title.

Certainly not Zelda, but it has some help because people love the series.

Back