Resident Evil 7

I have to say that I find comments like "it's far from perfect" to be unfair. There is no perfect anything, and why can't it be enjoyed on it's own merits instead of always holding things up in comparison to others? That's a sure-fire way to always be disappointed and cynical. I respect if you don't like it that much, but I don't like the "perfect" comment.

I think the main reason I say that is because the reviews I read gave it 9's and 10's with titles like "Return to form". I just can't really agree with that mostly because like I said I got to the final chapter, got through the flashback and I was bored with it. I have yet to finish chasing
"IM NOT ALMA!"
(points if anyone gets yet another game this one ripped off) around. I'll get to it tonight maybe.

Played a couple hours today. Game is better than I thought it would be! I was concerned about the first person with it being a RE game, but I do enjoy it. I find the game to be more frustrating than the other ones, I seem to be dying an unusual amount in this game. Fun game overall though.

No spoilers, but I found that the game got much easier once you finally get the 3 dog's heads. The boss to that area is a straight up Dark Souls type of fight, only with wonkier controls.
I don't know if I've died a single time (when I wasn't screwing around) since that encounter.

I beat the game on Madhouse with a controller on PS4. If you're complaining about aiming with a mouse on PC, I don't know what to say but "git gud".

This one is the best RE since RE4 and REmake.

That's where I'm at. These types of games always take a while for me to finish because I have to psych myself up to play them.

yeah, i know the feeling, i had it installed for days, now im in the mood :p

found girlfriend, then uh-oh moment, now i saved again, pretty cool so far :D

Finished it about an hour ago. Mixed feelings. Like I don't want to tell capcom to stop going in this direction, but I wasn't crazy about it. No interest in playing again.

hey i then met my new family! it was a little awkward at first but i guess it was probably because of some sort of cultural shock, probably from my side. ran, found a key, and saved again! :p

For those who have completed it - is there any sort of NG+? I'm not sure if it would even fit a game like this, but I'm a little curious.

For those who have completed it - is there any sort of NG+? I'm not sure if it would even fit a game like this, but I'm a little curious.

Yeah it'll give you the full details on completion, but it's called "Madhouse"

oh man, king shovel killed me three or four times until i figured what to do, now im dealing with this crazy old hag inside a vcr footage or something, pretty funny so far, i'll keep you guys updated :p

whelp, daddy chainsaw is not being easy, but i do feel entertained, so far pretty cool!

This game can look very pretty at highest settings with HDR, and runs reasonablly (40-50fps max settings at 2160p, ~100% GPU/VRAM usage for a Strix 1080) but...

- I'm in the boat phase right now and so far I have seen a grand total of two types of enemies besides the bosses: the tar hunters and those large cat-sized wasps.

- The flash light is freakin' automatic, as in you cannot choose to turn it on, the game decides when you get to use it, so to find various little items in the dark areas, you have to use "stimulants" that magically make the location of item known with white markers that you can even see through walls.

- No zombies, WTF?

- Final(?) fight with Jack (where he turns into a huge 'melded' with several eyes) was so idiotic when that freakishly huge monstrosity kept spouting dumb crap like "hey Ethan, I'm gonna get you, hehehe". What? Fuck you! Be scarey or GTFO!

- I have to say the whole redneck family thing just didn't do it for me.

- Finally, "horror" it is not. Occasionally creepy, thanks to some wonderfully crafted environments, but that's about it. It is a game that most would probablly play through just once and then forget about it.

Last edited:
This game can look very pretty at highest settings with HDR, and runs reasonablly (40-50fps max settings at 2160p, 100% GPU/VRAM usage for a Strix 1080) but...

- I'm in the boat phase right now and so far I have seen a grand total of two types of enemies besides the bosses: the tar hunters and those large cat-sized wasps.

- The flash light is freakin' sutomatic, as in you cannot choose to turn it on, the game decides when you get to use it, so to find various little items in the dark areas, you have to use "stimulants" that magically make the location of item known with white markers that you can even see through walls.

- No zombies, WTF?

- Final(?) fight with Jack (where he turns into a huge 'melded' with several eyes) was so idiotic when that freakishly huge monstrosity kept spouting dumb crap like "hey Ethan, I'm gonna get you, hehehe". What? Fuck you! Be scarey or GTFO!

- I have to say the whole redneck family thing just didn't do it for me.

- Finally, "horror" it is not. Occasionally creepy, thanks to some wonderfully crafted environments, but that's about it. It is a game that most would probablly play through just once and then forget about it.

Enjoy the boat. It's long, tiresome and pointless.

Enjoy the boat. It's long, tiresome and pointless.
lol, just finished the game. You were right.
Worst thing is, I bought the Magnum with those bloody-hard-to-find coins, found NINE bullets and didn't even get to fire it once, and the credits started rolling. Yurrrrgh! At the end I had almost 700 MG bullets, 7 grenades, more than a dozen SG shells, more than a dozen health potions, and several pistol bullets just left over. People who say it is like the older games probably haven't actually played the older games.

well for me so far its just a fun horror game, it says resident evil on the title but it has almost nothing to do with it and of course it doesnt have zombies, its like resident evil 4 which could have been called "las plagas" with the protagonist named "Bob" and it would just be the same.

I wish there was an option to join the family. Like a Far Cry 4 style alternate ending where you stay at the dinner table instead of running away. The family doesn't seem all that bad. A little dysfunctional. But what family isn't?

I wish there was an option to join the family. Like a Far Cry 4 style alternate ending where you stay at the dinner table instead of running away. The family doesn't seem all that bad. A little dysfunctional. But what family isn't?

That's actually brilliant. I'm with you, that would be a fun touch.

well for me so far its just a fun horror game, it says resident evil on the title but it has almost nothing to do with it and of course it doesnt have zombies, its like resident evil 4 which could have been called "las plagas" with the protagonist named "Bob" and it would just be the same.

Well, the gameplay is much Resident Evil like the first one. RE4 is less Resident Evil than this one.

Prior to RE7 we had at least 3 very distinctly different types of games under the Resident Evil banner. It's probably time to get over saying something "isn't Resident Evil" when the series mostly departed from the original style 17 years ago. That doesn't mean you have to like this game (or 4-7, their spin-offs, or the gun-based games) but it's not like RE7 is this massive stark departure from a long line of similar games.

Well, the gameplay is much Resident Evil like the first one. RE4 is less Resident Evil than this one.

yeah agree, im just enjoying the game for what it is, didnt even expect to like it this much lol, now im dealing with this creepy old lady in a house, crazy hag thinks shes a spider or something, creepy-creepy :p

I don't understand how to beat the molded in the dissection room area. They keep friggin spawning and I end up running out of ammo. Maybe I should've chosen easy difficulty. Why don't they let you change it mid-game? :(

edit - Ended up getting past them but holy crap there was like 4 of them in a cramped room at the same time.

Last edited:
I don't understand how to beat the molded in the dissection room area. They keep friggin spawning and I end up running out of ammo. Maybe I should've chosen easy difficulty. Why don't they let you change it mid-game? :(
Headshots (MOUSE+KB FTW). Don't fire rapidly, hold position in a room/corridor corner, so your back and sides are safe, and fire slow. First headshot, wait for the target to stop twitching, then second headshot. Also, craft the stronger handgun ammo, it is worth it. Don't waste the "strong chemicals" on "full health potions", save 'em for better handgun ammo.

With shotgun, try to line 'em up, so you can take out two with one shot.

Without ammo, run and stab. They're slow, you get ample time for a couple of aimed stabs to the head and getting out of their reach.

Last edited:
Just finished the game on normal difficulty. I really enjoyed it! I died 21 times though... Some were just me being stupid.

damn, loved too much this game, the atmosphere almost perfect, perfect sound, it really scared me couple of times and it kept me impressed through the whole game, first game in years since F.E.A.R 2 that was able to truly impress me and scare me... independently on the game tittle, it's a great horror game..

Only thing that I can complain about was how easy and stupid was the "fight" with the last "boss", I had my suspicions about "she" (to avoid spoilers) and was expecting a better last fight, as it was with Lucas and Jack.. and well, still loved the game..

Also IDK if its due to my monitor calibration and or game feelings but the color space BT.709 looked awesome, far way better than sRGB..

This may be the best game I've ever played. Always loved Resident Evil but I felt the series fell off after the first couple games. This is a proper Resident Evil.

yeah agree, im just enjoying the game for what it is, didnt even expect to like it this much lol, now im dealing with this creepy old lady in a house, crazy hag thinks shes a spider or something, creepy-creepy :p

Is that you in your profile picture? I think I fell in love with it. :love:

Also IDK if its due to my monitor calibration and or game feelings but the color space BT.709 looked awesome, far way better than sRGB..

Interestingly enough, on my TV you can't even swap between the 2. I think it detects that HDR is available so it just chooses BT.709. The option to swap (that was there in the demo) is greyed out.

Interestingly enough, on my TV you can't even swap between the 2. I think it detects that HDR is available so it just chooses BT.709. The option to swap (that was there in the demo) is greyed out.
Conversely, my monitor doesn't support HDR and I have the option to switch color spaces. It's not even a 10-bit color panel.

I thought it was just me. I thought BT.709 was the same as SRGB but I guess i was wrong.

Also 1070 @4k 60hz and the game is sooooooo slow. The Demo never had a issue like this.

Also 1070 @4k 60hz and the game is sooooooo slow. The Demo never had a issue like this.

Same. For some reason, instead of changing your FPS, it seems like the whole game slows down if your hardware can't keep up. It's like being underwater.
Rather than changing the actual resolution, I still set mine to 4K/60 but use the resolution scaler to dial things back. With my gtx1080 I settled on 0.70 (70% of 4K), which is smooth and never drops me below 60fps. More and more games are starting to offer the scaling options and I love it as a TV gamer. It allows a nice level of customization for those of us who are limited to a handful of real resolution options.

I thought it was just me. I thought BT.709 was the same as SRGB but I guess i was wrong.

Well they removed SSE 4.1 instructions in the retail release, and the last patch removed SSSE3 and SIMD instructions. In other words, they deliberately made the game run worse because of the vocal idiots who haven't updated their CPU in a decade.

Capcom just give us re2 remake already! Didn't enjoy any of the new re games from 4 to 7..re2 was my favorite

Well not imo...didn't see the reason for the high praise but any ways I felt the same way about metroid prime and the newer castlevania games..

Back