Resident Evil 3 (2020)

Guess I wish I came here first, I was super excited to see that this released today. I’ve actually never even played 3 before so I purchased immediately!

Hope I’m not disappointed, sounds like this game is worth maybe $20, not $60 :(

I actually just replayed RE4 on steam and finished it yesterday, man I loved every minute of it.

I played a couple hours last night, it's still a very good game.
 
I really enjoyed the demo but for me, I'll wait until it's cheaper being everyone saying max 7 hour playtime. The graphics are fucking beautiful maxed at 4k though, like wow.

I haven't played RE2 remake yet so I'll probably pick that up instead since every review said it's a better game in every way (and it's $15 on cdkeys, $19 on steam).
 
I swear the zombies are more dangerous than fucking Nemesis.

I've gotten titty fucked a couple times because one grabbed me, only for Nemesis to punch and knock me into another fucking zombie. By the time you throw it off, you're already getting rabbit punched me in the back of the head again and stumbled into another god damn zombie or corner. You can pretty easily go from Fine to dead and barely having a chance to react.

99% of the time the answer seems to be "run and shotgun anything that even thinks of coming near you."
 
Early impressions: game looks, feels, and runs great. Early on for some reason I've found myself running around in circles and being very low on ammo just about always. Also the reticle sucks.
 
Early impressions: game looks, feels, and runs great. Early on for some reason I've found myself running around in circles and being very low on ammo just about always. Also the reticle sucks.

How? Are you trying to kill literally everything?

I've had so much pistol ammo that I've had to dump it on the ground multiple times. Don't think I've dropped under 40 yet.
Shotgun ammo is a little sparser but always seems to materialize in time.

Also LOL if you go into the toy store with Nemesis chasing you. For whatever dumb reason he won't follow you in, so he just patiently waits outside for you, watching through the window.
 
I've only just started, but I'm willing to say this is one of the best looking/presented games I've ever played already. Great performance, too. I cranked everything up all the way and am still maintaining 60fps all the time. That's with the "High 4GB" textures setting. Usually fire and smoke effects cause issues in most games, but no issues here so far. Jill legit looks and moves like a real person.
Great audio in spite of no 7.1 or Atmos.

The length does worry me a little, though. I'm only about 20 minutes in and it feels like they're rushing right through the acclimation portion of most RE games. I guess it'll at least be a good looking ride.

For what it's worth, now I am kinda wishing they'd remaster RE4 to look like this. They don't need to, but I'm a sucker for killer visuals. The Code Veronica games need it way more, though. I've never played any of the games from that era, so I'm on the remaster train if they want to keep making them.
 
Last edited:
I'm using a GTX 1080 + i7-9700K and I just crank everything with complete disregard for what the game says; I've not monitored it, but it's running at least 90 FPS consistently and I've not seen any stutter in the first hour. Similar performance to RE2, but I think they cleaned up some of the reflection stuff in RE3.

How? Are you trying to kill literally everything?

I've had so much pistol ammo that I've had to dump it on the ground multiple times. Don't think I've dropped under 40 yet.
Shotgun ammo is a little sparser but always seems to materialize in time.

Also LOL if you go into the toy store with Nemesis chasing you. For whatever dumb reason he won't follow you in, so he just patiently waits outside for you, watching through the window.
That was a feature in RE2 remake as well. He wouldn't chase you into dead-end areas but would walk away and give you an opportunity to leave.

I've only just started, but I'm willing to say this is one of the best looking/presented games I've ever played already. Great performance, too. I cranked everything up all the way and am still maintaining 60fps all the time. That's with the "High 4GB" textures setting. Usually fire and smoke effects cause issues in most games, but no issues here so far. Jill legit looks and moves like a real person.
Great audio in spite of no 7.1 or Atmos.

The length does worry me a little, though. I'm only about 20 minutes in and it feels like they're rushing right through the acclimation portion of most RE games. I guess it'll at least be a good looking ride.

For what it's worth, now I am kinda wishing they'd remaster RE4 to look like this. They don't need to, but I'm a sucker for killer visuals. The Code Veronica games need it way more, though. I've never played any of the games from that era, so I'm on the remaster train if they want to keep making them.
I noticed the options said '5.1 surround' but assumed that was just a generalization. I didn't notice the rears weren't doing anything since the sides were filling in. Strange they went this route, but I'd seen complaints that Atmos didn't sound good in RE2 so maybe they decided it wasn't worth implementing. I assume they probably also have to pay additional licensing to Dolby to use it.
 
WHY the fuck can you not merge directly into your inventory. I swear you could do this in RE2?

Inventory full -> can't pick up these fucking shotgun shells for my empty shotgun.
 
WHY the fuck can you not merge directly into your inventory. I swear you could do this in RE2?

Inventory full -> can't pick up these fucking shotgun shells for my empty shotgun.
You definitely could merge directly into existing stacks in RE2make.

The beauty of this game and how well it runs (and others from Capcom) really makes me wish that they would license their engines out. Oh well.
 
I think I'm like 70% of the way through now.

So far, the best way I can sum up the game is it's like the difference between Dead Space 3 vs Dead Space 1.

It's still fun, but it's not quite the masterstroke that RE2 remake was if you're looking for horror.

Also Nemesis is way more on rails than I expected, which I guess can go either way. He can potentially be way more obnoxious than his PS1 version so I imagine him randomly showing up like he could in a few areas in the original could be annoying as fuck in practice. I can see why they didn't do it and that's fair enough, but I'm just not sure they really nailed him.
 
Protip: Frag grenades are absolutely insane and 1 shot everything.

And I pretty much mean everything.

Yes, even Nemesis, apparently. One will instantly down him.
 
No clue if it was always like this, but so far I find myself re-loading and running back to typewriters quite a bit. Basically until I can run past things without getting grabbed or hit. They're pretty close together and healing items aren't super common thus far.
The game engine is just plain phenomenal, but I'm not sure about the actual game. The puzzles have been pretty weak and I find Nemesis to be more annoying than scary. When you *know* something can't be killed, it's less scary than not being sure. It's more of an eye roll and hoping his RNG/AI places him in convenient spots.
Also, is there a quick turn in this game? In the previous ones you could press backward and A and your character would spin around. It doesn't seem to work in this one and I've missed having it.
 
Press Q to quick turn.

It doesn't seem particularly useful on PC.
 
Looks like it's back + B using the Xbox pad. Seems like an odd decision to change that. Ditto with the face buttons in general. You can swap your control scheme to 3 different schemes, but none of them make the A, B, or X buttons work like they do in the other games. It isn't that huge of a deal since you're mostly using the sticks and top buttons, but it's a pointless decision and it messes with my muscle memory.

I just made it to the first boss at the top of the burning building...and of course didn't have any of my good guns on me at the time. Luckily there's a typewriter right there. While I hate when games get tedious with save points, I still think there are probably too many in this game. At least so far. Still loving the presentation either way. It might be the best looking game ever. The audio is only plain 'ol 5.1, but it still sounds great. The sewer area has some terrific echo and accurate directional audio effects. The best comparison I have so far is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's equally kinda weak as a game, but is a great way to show off high-end hardware.
 
Without spoilers, why isn't this one as good as the RE2 remake? Never played either. RE2 grew on me as I spent more time in it, and technically it was well done. Was RE3 just a less impressive game and therefore the remake is less impressive, or is the RE3 Remake suffering from less modernization?
 
Was RE3 just a less impressive game and therefore the remake is less impressive, or is the RE3 Remake suffering from less modernization?

I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot a bit with Mr. X. After him, there was no meaningful way to really give Nemesis that same stalker kind of feeling without him feeling like a more annoying rehash. Ultimately, he's way more scripted. There's positives and negatives to this, but it's pretty easy to see why they did it.

Also it's a way more radical re-imaging than RE2. The overall plot and flow has been massively tweaked, and I get the feeling that they were a little too pressured on the cutting room floor. Some iconic points from the original have just ceased to be.

Also some parts are legitimately great. They're a totally difference pace from RE2, but they're still excellent.

The hospital part is probably one of the more unnerving parts of the game and has great atmosphere.
 
Last edited:
Pretty sure I'm in the last area at this point. My guess is my runtime will be around 6.5 hours - Steam time.

I'll probably try to unlock some stuff after I finish the campaign so I can steamroll shit. It's fun, but if you're planning on never touching it after finishing the game once, it's a bit of a tough sell for $60.
 
Without spoilers, why isn't this one as good as the RE2 remake? Never played either. RE2 grew on me as I spent more time in it, and technically it was well done. Was RE3 just a less impressive game and therefore the remake is less impressive, or is the RE3 Remake suffering from less modernization?
From what I heard part of it is that it’s a much more static campaign now. The original game had a few different choices you could make that would alter later scenes and ultimately the ending. It gave the original replay value in that the campaign felt remixed. Not that it’s a bad campaign, but it’s a lacking sort of feeling.

The common guess is that this is why Project Resistance is bundled along with the main gameto add more value.
 
Finished in 6.2 hours, according to Steam. Clear time in game was like 4:50.

I feel like I took my time too and besides playing like an absolute pussy for the most part, I explored everywhere I could find with a handful of backtracking because I couldn't help but horde the shit out of every box of ammo I saw.

Just unlocked
the infinite assault rifle, all 6 booster coins, and some other shit.

Game time is still under 8 hours on Steam. Guessing I'll land around 10 on my next playthrough. After that I think I'm done.
 
Without spoilers, why isn't this one as good as the RE2 remake? Never played either. RE2 grew on me as I spent more time in it, and technically it was well done. Was RE3 just a less impressive game and therefore the remake is less impressive, or is the RE3 Remake suffering from less modernization?

I feel like it has simply been dumbed down compared to RE2. Need an object to open a door? It's located in literally the only other direction you can go. Puzzles are basically non-existent or very obvious. Need ammo? It's everywhere. Zombies in your way? They're so far off that you can pick them off like fish in a barrel before they're a threat. Nemesis encounter? Might as well be on rails. Everything is so linear and single-approach minded that it's a step back. There are some cool high points and occasional tough moments, but they're kinda fleeting.
It's a little like going from RE4 to RE6, only this game is roughly the length of only one of the RE6 stories...rather than 4-5. The game doesn't suck, but it's a letdown.
 
I feel like it has simply been dumbed down compared to RE2. Need an object to open a door? It's located in literally the only other direction you can go. Puzzles are basically non-existent or very obvious. Need ammo? It's everywhere. Zombies in your way? They're so far off that you can pick them off like fish in a barrel before they're a threat. Nemesis encounter? Might as well be on rails. Everything is so linear and single-approach minded that it's a step back. There are some cool high points and occasional tough moments, but they're kinda fleeting.
It's a little like going from RE4 to RE6, only this game is roughly the length of only one of the RE6 stories...rather than 4-5. The game doesn't suck, but it's a letdown.

Yeah puzzles are almost quite literally non-existent. Honestly don't even think there's anything in the game that counts as one. 95% of the game is Point A -> Point B.

Also any note you find basically tells you the solution and spells it out like you're completely retarded. There is zero subtly at all in any file you pick up, to the point where it reads comically because it's so forced.

BOY IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF ALL THESE GENERATORS WE LEFT SCATTERED ALL OVER THE PLACE GOT STRUCK BY RANDOM GUNFIRE AND SHOCKED EVERYTHING AROUND THEM.
 
I've only just started, but I'm willing to say this is one of the best looking/presented games I've ever played already. Great performance, too. I cranked everything up all the way and am still maintaining 60fps all the time. That's with the "High 4GB" textures setting. Usually fire and smoke effects cause issues in most games, but no issues here so far. Jill legit looks and moves like a real person.
Great audio in spite of no 7.1 or Atmos.

The length does worry me a little, though. I'm only about 20 minutes in and it feels like they're rushing right through the acclimation portion of most RE games. I guess it'll at least be a good looking ride.

For what it's worth, now I am kinda wishing they'd remaster RE4 to look like this. They don't need to, but I'm a sucker for killer visuals. The Code Veronica games need it way more, though. I've never played any of the games from that era, so I'm on the remaster train if they want to keep making them.

Oh they need to remake RE4 for sure. I decided to replay it again just recently and am having a blast. I'll lose my shit if they remake RE4, sooo much content and replayability there.
 
Oh they need to remake RE4 for sure. I decided to replay it again just recently and am having a blast. I'll lose my shit if they remake RE4, sooo much content and replayability there.

There's files that talk using a parasite near the end and that Nemesis is actually the first monster to successfully demonstrate it. I'm guessing they're trying to tie it into RE4. Maybe a remake isn't off the table for it?
 
As much as I'd like more RE4, it's more than functional right now as-is. It looks a little bit dated, but it's light years ahead of where RE1-3 were. It already got one HD remake (in 2014) and the pending fan-made patch takes things even further. I'd rather see Capcom put their efforts toward some of the older spin offs that are tougher to experience.
 
As much as I'd like more RE4, it's more than functional right now as-is. It looks a little bit dated, but it's light years ahead of where RE1-3 were. It already got one HD remake (in 2014) and the pending fan-made patch takes things even further. I'd rather see Capcom put their efforts toward some of the older spin offs that are tougher to experience.
For the most part I agree, but I would love to have the movement and aiming system from RE2 and RE3 in RE4. The game as-is might be too easy with them, though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: w35t
like this
Beat it again.

1 normal playthrough, hour of farming shit for the cheat items, then steamrolled the game again in an hour and a half. Probably could have cut another 10 minutes off or so pretty easily, still got lost a couple times.

You're basically death incarnate with the assault rifle and the coins, don't see the point in farming for the rocket launcher. You will kill anything in seconds, including Nemesis - I'd be surprised if any of his boss fights even took longer than 2-3 minutes.

Guess I feel satisfied enough. Feels a bit bullshit that it'll give you an S rank for plowing through with the shop items, though.
 

Attachments

  • 1586229229140.png
    1586229229140.png
    429.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm creeping toward the end, but I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like. Work has been busy.
Per Steam I've put in 7 hours and am in the 2nd phase of the hospital. That's with me going pretty slow and picking up or killing nearly everything.
There are things to like about the game, but it really does feel like a better looking "Resident Evil 2 for Dummies." RE2 wasn't too long, either, so I'll probably just play the two back to back over the summer.
 
Yeah puzzles are almost quite literally non-existent. Honestly don't even think there's anything in the game that counts as one. 95% of the game is Point A -> Point B.

Also any note you find basically tells you the solution and spells it out like you're completely retarded. There is zero subtly at all in any file you pick up, to the point where it reads comically because it's so forced.

BOY IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF ALL THESE GENERATORS WE LEFT SCATTERED ALL OVER THE PLACE GOT STRUCK BY RANDOM GUNFIRE AND SHOCKED EVERYTHING AROUND THEM.
That's a shame. I really enjoyed the RE2 remake but something told me to hold off on this game.
 
This game will likely end up on sale really quickly. It's worth 1/2 price if you like the more action-focused games in the series.
At first I was puzzled at the people that claimed it should be DLC for RE2. Honestly, it probably could have been. Since it takes place at the same time (roughly), they re-use a lot of areas and assets. They've made some tweaks to the look of the game for the better for sure...but I don't know if anyone would have complained if they didn't.
 
That's a shame. I really enjoyed the RE2 remake but something told me to hold off on this game.

I'd still classify it as a good game.

Hold for a sale unless you're a die hard fan, though. It's hard to say it's entirely worth the price of admission, currently.
 
This game will likely end up on sale really quickly. It's worth 1/2 price if you like the more action-focused games in the series.
At first I was puzzled at the people that claimed it should be DLC for RE2. Honestly, it probably could have been. Since it takes place at the same time (roughly), they re-use a lot of areas and assets. They've made some tweaks to the look of the game for the better for sure...but I don't know if anyone would have complained if they didn't.
They used it as a platform to sell the Operation Resistance multiplayer, in my opinion, and that is already failing due to numerous issues. Capcom had to send out a global announcement on Steam to remind people that RE3 came with the game and that it was a separate download. That is just sad.
 
As much as I'd like more RE4, it's more than functional right now as-is. It looks a little bit dated, but it's light years ahead of where RE1-3 were. It already got one HD remake (in 2014) and the pending fan-made patch takes things even further. I'd rather see Capcom put their efforts toward some of the older spin offs that are tougher to experience.

It's kind of functional now as is. One big issue is you either have to have a native 60Hz display plugged into your card or set up a custom resolution in CRU set to 60Hz to even run the game. It also doesn't support UW resolutions but that's not a huge deal. Controls are also pretty wonky compared to playing it on the Gamecube.

If they remade RE4 and it looked like RE3 and just had maybe a little extra content or whatever, man, I'd be stoked.

I don't know anything about this fan made patch you speak of, I'll have to look that up.
 
I completed RE3 this morning. Per Steam I ended up spending 9 hours with the game, although the in-game counter said 6.5 were my actual hours of gameplay. That's with me being very deliberate and doing everything there is to do. I can't imagine someone taking more than 10-11 unless they were dying constantly. Enemies tend to stay dead and I was as thorough as you could be. They toss the magnum at you super late and it's barely worthwhile. You only have a dozen'ish enemies you can even shoot with it. I wish it was more useful.

The game stayed dumb until the very end. Basically every single note you find is a step by step instruction manual for what you're about to have to do. It's laughably obvious after the 2nd or 3rd note you find.

I don't think I'll bother with a replay right now. I'm going to stick with the plan to replay 2 and 3 back-to-back in a few months.
 
I started playing RE3 today, so far I am a bit disappointed with how easy it is compared to RE2. Hopefully it gets a little more tense later on, I just got the battery at the police department and saved for the day. Only died twice and once was to the head because i tried dodging it, nemesis isn't nearly as intimidating as Mr X since there are save points in every other room. I have 3 hours played, so guessing I'm coming up near half way, I'll probably finish tomorrow. This probably should have been a $30 DLC or something, I don't feel ripped off because I got it for $42, but I understand why some people would feel that way paying $60.
 
Yeah there are a ridiculous amount of type writers. Plus the game auto saves all the time. Thing are no joke like every few rooms. My first time around I saved at like every one I passed and had like 45 saves by the end.

And yeah it's pretty easy on Standard at least. Only times I died was from shit that randomly instakills you like the hunters or basically getting stun locked from getting stumbled into shit. Happened a few times with Nemesis. Sometimes he just bats you into a fucking zombie and the absolute second you break free you're already getting rocked again, probably into another zombie. Literally can't fight back or run sometimes.
 
I habitually save a lot. I blame the old habit of using quicksave constantly back in the 90's. I finished with 70 saves, but probably could have gotten by with 1/3 of that had I known better. In terms of dying, I got killed by Nemesis once in each of the 3 boss fights. Mainly just because I was trying to figure out if there was a "trick" to them. AKA. is it a fight or a puzzle fight. As far as I can tell, pure damage output wins all 3, with each having at least one way to stun him. I think the only other times I died was from one of those creatures in the sewer and the spiders. I got killed by spiders a couple times. That was probably the single hardest section in the game IMO. LOL, I also got killed by the toy store head once, too. I assumed I could dodge it horizontally. You can't.
 
My opinion is changing as I get further into the game and have been enjoying it a bit more I liked the 2nd boss fight more than the first. I still think the fights are a little easy, mainly because you can avoid all damage with well timed dodges. Right now the hardest part for me, being as vague as possible is the defense part at the hospital. I'm currently still doing that segment, I gave it a few attempts but needed to take a break.

The game could be more challenging if they tightened up the dodge/punch window to actually make it feel rewarding when you do it properly, right now its too easy with those mechanics.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top