• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Resident Dell Technical Rep.

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,816
Figured I'd throw this in the General Hardware section. Just offering any assistance I can provide as a Dell Rep. Not going to say what area, but I'm not your average Joe. I work on the Inspiron, Dimension, Optiplex and Latitude lines. The Dimension and Inspiron lines only up to the current models however.

I don't expect any flaming or hate posts or anything of that nature. This is just simple to try and answer any technical questions you guys might have.
 
Alright, how come on some Inspiron models, the ram that ships with is glued, or stuck in place?
 
Alright, how come on some Inspiron models, the ram that ships with is glued, or stuck in place?

I've never encountered a ram stick that was glued into place. Do you have a specific model or models that I could reference? I seriously doubt that there's actual glue in there. Possibly just a misinterpretation.



thanks for offering your help.......now how bout some coupons :D


If I had coupons I'd use them, lol.


Edit: I also realize that probably a lot of people have built their own PC's.... I'm just bored at work.
 
OK, heres one.

why is the online order status always show 'no data available' for my tacking number, I have had to call for the tracking number on the past 8 orders

(Ive never come across a memory stick thats glued in place)
 
OK, heres one.

why is the online order status always show 'no data available' for my tacking number, I have had to call for the tracking number on the past 8 orders

(Ive never come across a memory stick thats glued in place)

That might be a technical situation on the Dell's website side but uhh.. I can't answer that, lol.I just did a test on an old order number and everything came up fine. Do you have a specific one you want me to look up?
 
I have two problems. Ok, let's see if you can help me then...

Almost everytime my computer restarts, the time on my clock is 2 hours earlier then it should be. I don't know why it keeps doing this, and it's a real pain to see the wrong time on my laptop.

Second, after doing some update with windows media player, I got a small windows saying that "to complete the update, windows must restart your computer" or something along that lines, well even if I hit "OK", I get that same window EVERY Time!! Is there some way to remove the thing from popping up everytime my computer loads up?
 
I have two problems. Ok, let's see if you can help me then...

Almost everytime my computer restarts, the time on my clock is 2 hours earlier then it should be. I don't know why it keeps doing this, and it's a real pain to see the wrong time on my laptop.

Hmm, my first guess would be to check your cmos battery, ya know the little coin-cell one. Usually CR2023 or something. You could also check to see if there's a update for the bios. If you go to support.dell.com and then drivers and downloads you can put your service tag in and get the list of downloads, they're sorted by category.

Second, after doing some update with windows media player, I got a small windows saying that "to complete the update, windows must restart your computer" or something along that lines, well even if I hit "OK", I get that same window EVERY Time!! Is there some way to remove the thing from popping up everytime my computer loads up?

What version of windows are you running? You could try just uninstalling the windows media player and reinstalling it. More information about the systems would help though.
 
Hey Dallows,

I sent you a PM of a problem Im experiencing with my Inspiron 9200, if you can maybe help on that I appric. Thanks for putting out your help too! :)
 
Why is dell so overpriced and try to make it seam that you need 4gb or ram and an 8800gtx?
 
Hmm, my first guess would be to check your cmos battery, ya know the little coin-cell one. Usually CR2023 or something. You could also check to see if there's a update for the bios. If you go to support.dell.com and then drivers and downloads you can put your service tag in and get the list of downloads, they're sorted by category.



What version of windows are you running? You could try just uninstalling the windows media player and reinstalling it. More information about the systems would help though.

Ok, well my laptop is an Inspiron E1705 and I'm running windows xp media center edition. Not sure if any of that would help out.
 
Why is dell so overpriced and try to make it seam that you need 4gb or ram and an 8800gtx?
 
Why is dell so overpriced and try to make it seam that you need 4gb or ram and an 8800gtx?

Uh Uh Uh *waves finger* no flaming please, be nice hes just trying to offer his help, and some people do need/want a 8800 gtx and 4 gb of ram. i dont find dell to be overpriced at all either.
 
Why is dell so overpriced and try to make it seam that you need 4gb or ram and an 8800gtx?
That's what happens when you have too many hardware choices, system builders can't have one for each and *every* single situation. So they're forced to build a couple and hope it's the most popular couple.

That's my theory anyway.

If you want 2GB of RAM and an 8800GTS, then build it yourself :p
 
Hmm well here is one. I was gonna post this in the motherboard section but this is much more direct.

I have an XPS Gen 2 laptop with 2.13ghz pentium m and Geforce 6800 Ultra that I purchased 2.5 years ago. It uh.....kinda lost a bout with a glass of lemonade this summer and I fried the motherboard. Even though 2 years old its nice enough that I really miss it but its juuuuust old enough that its debatable whether I should fix it or buy new.

I can find replacement parts online for just about every darn thing except the motherboard. Is this available somewhere? What would dell charge to repair?

Finally, since Dell appears to be using the same laptop case for the newer XPS's can I buy a motherboard for the newer ones and give my laptop a nice Core 2 Duo upgrade since I would have to replace the motherboard anyway?

I don't mind spending a bit if I could at least get an upgrade out of it.
 
Why is dell so overpriced and try to make it seam that you need 4gb or ram and an 8800gtx?

Dell actually has extremely competitive prices and better bang for your buck than I find most places. Their customer service and support is also getting better.

If you go online depending on what system you look at to configure there are a bunch of options for each system component. However, if you talk to a salesman over the phone of course they are going to try and sell you whatever they can, it's their job.

But please don't come into my thread just to make outrageous claims.


Ok, well my laptop is an Inspiron E1705 and I'm running windows xp media center edition. Not sure if any of that would help out.
Yeah, I checked the site and there is bios update that came out just this month. I re-read your post and it looks like you just checked the time in windows. Check it in the system bios - F2 at the Dell screen when the system first boots up. There should also be an option under "Maintainance" for loading the defaults. Could try that as well.

To reiterate:

-Check BIOS to see what the date/time is set to.
-Load the factory defaults for the BIOS
-Update the BIOS to revision A09 from support.dell.com
 
Hmm well here is one. I was gonna post this in the motherboard section but this is much more direct.

I have an XPS Gen 2 laptop with 2.13ghz pentium m and Geforce 6800 Ultra that I purchased 2.5 years ago. It uh.....kinda lost a bout with a glass of lemonade this summer and I fried the motherboard. Even though 2 years old its nice enough that I really miss it but its juuuuust old enough that its debatable whether I should fix it or buy new.

I can find replacement parts online for just about every darn thing except the motherboard. Is this available somewhere? What would dell charge to repair?

Finally, since Dell appears to be using the same laptop case for the newer XPS's can I buy a motherboard for the newer ones and give my laptop a nice Core 2 Duo upgrade since I would have to replace the motherboard anyway?

I don't mind spending a bit if I could at least get an upgrade out of it.


I can't check the specs of the system from home but I'd guess off the top of my head that certain parts of the system won't be compatible with a new-gen motherboard, ie. hdd, optical drive, ram. Might use a different bus type like SATA, ya know?

When I go in tomorrow I'll check to see if the mobo can still be ordered through dell. If you think you can replace it yourself you could just buy the mobo and install it yourself. Dell offers warranties extended up to 5 years from the invoice date, so they have a lot of the stuff stocked in case people need the parts. I'll check it out.
 
Hi,

I have a question about replacing/upgrading the motherboard for a Dimension 8400. It is currently using the i925x chipset, and i want to upgrade it to something that can support a Core 2 Duo processor.

I've sent you a PM with more details. If you get a chance to take a look at it sometime this week, that would be great.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top