Replaying Doom3

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
I've just started playing Doom 3 again (finished it once), and I forgot how much mindless fun it entailed. I used to play it with crappy speakers / headphones on my old 17'' CRT. Now I've been playing it with my 7.1 surround setup with a widescreen 19'' LCD. Its kind of a different experience. No, its not the scariest game but its awesome. :D

I'm just about to go into the Delta Labs...

Yeah with a good sound setup it's a truly amazing experience.

I've only managed to get through it once though. Tried it twice again and just got bored. It's very tedious in the middle of the game. Worked well the first time though while it was all new and fresh.

dont forget to give the addon a shot too, its pretty good, and gives a bit more story

and i think the end boss in the addon is way more badass than that boss in the first one

Doom 3 was great fun. I liked it far more than HL2. There are several mods you can download that add some new adventures to D3. FilePlanet is a good place to find mods for D3 or any game.

I reinstalled it a few months ago and while it's better on a good machine, I still didn't think much of it.
Everything just felt like it was in slow motion. That and the shadows were too "hard." Unlike a real-life room where you can see some things, anything in a shadow was totally obscured. Swapping back and forth between flashlight/gun every 5 seconds just didn't do it for me.
IMO, Quake 4's the game Doom 3 should've been.

I replayed it with one of the flashlight mods (it attaches a light to your guns) which made it a more fun experience imo.

I just beat the game yesterday for the 2nd time. I wanted to play it through again before I switch
to my new PC, because I lent disc 2 to a guy at work and he got fired and I never saw him again.
So I kept the game installed on my PC, but now that I am building a new one, I will never be
able to install my copy again. :(

I was all over the hidden stuff on my second play through. I found a lot of secrets that I did
not notice in my first playthrough. Here is something I tried last night. Before you enter the
caverns at the end of the game there is a diagonal lift that you have to activate to go down this
like 45 degree shaft. Well it turns out, you don't have to use the lift. I started with 100 health
and jumped all the way down. I tried sprinting and also sprinting while jumping but those
don't work. The more time you sepnd on the ground, the faster your health is taken. I made
it to the bottom with 28 health then a chaingunner started shooting at me, so I ducked behind
the control panel and shot him with my pistol through a small hole in the control panel.

When you climb down onto the broken metal a ArchVile will appear, so have the soul cube
ready. Killing him will increase your health and will get your ready for a Hell Knight and some
Cacodemons.

I'd like to try to beat it for the first time, between the PDA and Flashlight my desire to play this game died quickly, maybe the duct tape mod might have me try it again. I still have tons of other titles to beat before i get back to this one though which fell to the bottom of my list along with painkiller. They are visually great but just are lacking.

My list goes to beat:
The chronicles of riddick: escape from butcher bay (in the middle of it)
Call of Duty 2 (in the middle of)
Prey (in the middle of)
Serious Sam 2 (in first quarter of the game)
Soldier of Fortune (just starting)
Half-Life 2: E1 (in the middle of)
Unreal 2 (need to start it)
Doom 3 (need to mod it then start it)
Painkiller (need to start it)
RTCW (have to start over again, yay fresh install of WinXP ;) )

I don't have much time to play games but have beaten over the last year or 2(FPS wise):
Quake 4
FEAR
FarCry
HL2

I'd like to try to beat it for the first time, between the PDA and Flashlight my desire to play this game died quickly, maybe the duct tape mod might have me try it again. I still have tons of other titles to beat before i get back to this one though which fell to the bottom of my list along with painkiller. They are visually great but just are lacking.

My list goes to beat:
The chronicles of riddick: escape from butcher bay (in the middle of it)
Call of Duty 2 (in the middle of)
Prey (in the middle of)
Serious Sam 2 (in first quarter of the game)
Soldier of Fortune (just starting)
Half-Life 2: E1 (in the middle of)
Unreal 2 (need to start it)
Doom 3 (need to mod it then start it)
Painkiller (need to start it)
RTCW (have to start over again, yay fresh install of WinXP ;) )

I don't have much time to play games but have beaten over the last year or 2(FPS wise):
Quake 4
FEAR
FarCry
HL2

Wow...you're "in the middle" of quite a few games!

I never actually use the PDA.

I tend to ignore all the weapon stashes in the locked containers too - listening to all the recordings would be a pain.

listening to all the recordings would be a pain.
You can start playing a recording, then exit from the PDA and it will keep playing. So you can play the game and listen to the recording at the same time.

i loved D3. mite start playin it again with the shiny new 8800 :D
Yeah when I lasted played it, it was on my Athlon 64 3200 with a X800XL. Having 2GB of RAM, an Opteron 170, and my 7800GTX (512) makes things just a little bit smoother. ;)

Its just entertainment, and I love it. Its not even about the "scares", its about the environments and the guns (and chainsaw).

Did they ever add a patch or anything to support native widescreen format?

That was the one thing that really disappointed me about the game. Sure, you could force it into widescreen--but it looked stretched.

Its not stretched, actually. If you go to the Doom 3-fix page on widescreengamingforum.com, then it shows the difference between the 16:10 and 4:3 aspects - there's more shown on the sides in the widescreen version (just like a widescreen movie compared to a "fullscreen" version).

Once I've changed the resolution once in the DoomConfig file - which takes only a minute - I don't have to change it again.

Doom3 was a very well made game.

Ran well, looked awesome, was everything they set out to make and of a very high quality.

The expansion pack was worse for me, I tried to play it through several times and each time found myself running out of ammo and just getting owned, not really something I wan't in my games :/

I love how, years after, people are looking back on Doom 3 really kindly. I loved it when it came out but it was much more popular to hate on Doom 3 back then than to love it. Glad to see things are changing :)

doom3 was best to keep my lil cousins entertained for 1-2 hours when they were 10 and had to look after about 200 of them...they saw me playing it once and looooovvved it...but i liked it too for a few hours until the entertainment and graphics wore off

but still it was a nice 'conclusion' to a good trilogy

I was actually just thinking the other day about going back to replay Doom 3. It wasnt as bad as everyone made it out to be.

I love how, years after, people are looking back on Doom 3 really kindly. I loved it when it came out but it was much more popular to hate on Doom 3 back then than to love it. Glad to see things are changing :)

I never saw anyone who had negative things to say about Doom3 that wasn't just talking out their arse.

All the comments about it being too clostophobic and about not being able to use your flashlight and weapon at the same time etc, that's all just what made Doom3 so great.

The developers drempt up an idea of what they wanted Doom3 to be and followed through with amazing accuracy, anyone that was expecting anything different to what was made, obviously had their expectations mislead somewhere along the line.

I love Doom3... great game.. it was everything I expected it to be and even a little more..played through it twice.. and now I think I'll play it again..

Glad to see others liked it as much as I did.. so many haters when it came out. I actually enjoyed every minute of it. Did not care for the EAX 'enhancement' though.

Check out the Parallax mapping and Brilliant Bloom mods :D

Glad to see others liked it as much as I did.. so many haters when it came out. I actually enjoyed every minute of it. Did not care for the EAX 'enhancement' though.

Check out the Parallax mapping and Brilliant Bloom mods :D
I didn't even know they had such mods...where can I find them?

As far as I recall, all the "hating" came from the "Half Life 2 vs Doom 3" threads that seemed to explode.

k, lemme be the first in this thread to say that I uninstalled it about halfways and gave away the game, tired of dark games only going on indoors, I want farcry style games with lotsa bright outdoor levels.

It had the distinction of being the first FPS game that caught up to the high end tech-demo's :cool:

@MindBuster
I guess you hated FEAR too.

@MindBuster
I guess you hated FEAR too.

Now that's a strong word, let's call it dislike, but yes, FEAR wasnt my cup of tea either, but atleast I finished that one. ;)

I havent tried Prey though.

I didn't even know they had such mods...where can I find them?

As far as I recall, all the "hating" came from the "Half Life 2 vs Doom 3" threads that seemed to explode.
Parallax mapping enhances the depth of normal maps and Brilliant Bloom adds a nice tweakable bloom for lit surfaces. It may not float your boat, but it's there to enjoy :) Should have no problem running these with full AA and AF goin' on with your setup.

Yup, folks couldn't help but compare with HL2 and FC. The hate bandwagon just snowballed..

No shit, if you were in these same forums when Doom 3 was releaced you would of seen a forum spammed with Doom 3 and how much it sucked... People saying how it really wasn't all "that", how the game was to "dark" to enjoy...

I had it back when it came out and played through about 80% of it on my GF3 Ti 500 before my Windows craped out and had to re-instal... (didnt get a chance to back-up save files) Now that I've built a new computer I've started playing through it again... just got past Hell and got back again....Usen the soul cube is fun, but thats as far as I've gotten thus far... :p

I just beat the game yesterday for the 2nd time. I wanted to play it through again before I switch
to my new PC, because I lent disc 2 to a guy at work and he got fired and I never saw him again.
So I kept the game installed on my PC, but now that I am building a new one, I will never be
able to install my copy again. :(

Just burn the games directory onto a disc. Copy it back over and boom. I don't even bother installing d3 i just copy teh files off the disc anyway. One of the things I love about id's shooters, they all worked like that.

Doom 3 was a really decent game. The game play wasn't revolutionary but that wasnt really what id set out to do in the first place. I actually liked the whole PDA idea and thought it was an interesting way to tell a story about horrific things after the fact. It created atmosphere as you would find some dead guys PDA and hear about all the horrors he went through before actually experiencing it for yourself. I was always caught up in the Doom lore and still play Doom 1 and 2 to this day.

Heh, i remember Doom 3 was the only game i ever preordered only to bring it home to a geforce 4 mx440. Man what a bummer. then i picked up a 9800pro and life was good.

Anyways, yeh, Doom 3. Good game.

I think any of the stick that Doom 3 received was down to disappointment at a slightly missed opportunity, rather than it being a poor game. I played through it once to the end (enjoying it all) and when I tried to replay it got sick pretty quickly. Unavoidable monsters that spawn in or spring unrealistically from completely hidden hatches in a wall cheapen what could have been a much more immersive game.

I know that these things hold true to Doom 1 and 2, but things had moved on a bit when D3 arrived. They could have remained faithful to the originals but still introduced new mechanisms to modernise it all.

Just burn the games directory onto a disc. Copy it back over and boom. I don't even bother installing d3 i just copy teh files off the disc anyway. One of the things I love about id's shooters, they all worked like that.
Interesting idea. I'd love to avoid having to constantly use the CDs. Can you give a little more info?

I guess I'll be the person who stands by the same opinion I had back in '03. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. It's too dark, too slow, and too repetitive.
To me, the old Doom was about fast action and killing enemies by the hundreds. The new one is all about supposedly being scared of the same enemy (the imp) you'd already killed 500 of. When there are only about 10 different enemies in the game, it's tough to really be scared any longer.

I guess I'll be the person who stands by the same opinion I had back in '03. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. It's too dark, too slow, and too repetitive.
To me, the old Doom was about fast action and killing enemies by the hundreds. The new one is all about supposedly being scared of the same enemy (the imp) you'd already killed 500 of. When there are only about 10 different enemies in the game, it's tough to really be scared any longer.
You seriously think its too slow? LOTS of games are slower than Doom 3... How many shooters do you enjoy?

Meh, those monster closets got old really quick. Maybe the duct tape mod would have changed my opinion, but by the time it came out I'd been burned out on the repetition. It felt like more of a highly polished tech demo than a game, much like Serious Sam. Perhaps if Doom 3 had the same LANability as Serious Sam I'd have enjoyed it more, I suppose.

But I guess I'm just talking out of my arse.

k, lemme be the first in this thread to say that I uninstalled it about halfways and gave away the game, tired of dark games only going on indoors, I want farcry style games with lotsa bright outdoor levels.

That's fair enough, obviously you're not into that style of game, but what tempted you to play it if you're really not interested in it? Surely you knew what sort of gameplay it would have?

Same with FEAR as well, theres enough reviews around at launch to know what sort of game to expect.

The problem with Doom3 was that it wasn't everyones cup of tea (is any game ever?) but some of those who weren't into that style of game decide to rip on it for being bad (I don't mean you MindBuster btw :p )

Back