Replaying Doom3

That's fair enough, obviously you're not into that style of game, but what tempted you to play it if you're really not interested in it? Surely you knew what sort of gameplay it would have?

Well, the ID name tempted me, pioneers of cool games from way back, it was not as much the gameplay I didnt like but more the darkness, as mentioned I like bright outdoor games, sure Wolfenstein3D was indoor also, but it was bright :D
I did play the original Doom alot also though, but that's many years ago, and there werent many other games around.
Tried the first Quake also and played it kinda alot, but again, not much else were available back then, I didnt play any of the other Quakes, I did get quake4 though, but dropped it after 1 hour of play.

Now Return to Castle Wolfenstein that was an awesome game, finished it several times, and even now get the urge to play it again. :)

Frosteh said:
Same with FEAR as well, theres enough reviews around at launch to know what sort of game to expect.

Well, the "problem" is that I dont like reviews, I take them as spoilers, same when going to the movies, the ticket guy always have to wait for me because I dont wanna enter the theater until the trailers of other movies are over and the actual movie I came to see starts :D
And I hate DVD movie menu's, why do they have to show alot of spoilers at the menu screen ? I mean, I already bought/rented the movie, no need to "tempt" or "prepare" me to watch it, dang it sux.

And yes, I have wasted many monies by buying things that I found was crap afterwards, but the satisfaction of a spoilerless experience with the stuff I really liked after buying it weights it up :D

I have to admit that I have been playing Doom 3 again the last 2 weeks. I hated it when I first bought it but now with my new rig, I loved the freaking game.

ive gotta dig up my cds and play it again

and get the xpanssion and some of the mods

Doom 3 could have been an awesome co-op game.. (Anyone played the xbox ver co-op? i never did)

Actually, there is co-op mod for Doom3 PC, and it plays great! I totally recommend everyone to get this and play it with a friend online, at least once real quick all the way through.
http://lms.d3files.com/ Its bandwidth intensive though with all the monsters, so the "lag effect" can be disconcerting.

The Last Man Standing co-op mod/levels play really nice, well, at least for the first time through for some quick fun. Get 4 guys together(I played with my friend and I online, and two other random guys joined in), and stand your ground by "holding the line" and its pretty fun... The enemy's come at you in insane waves(more monsters in one wave than probably the whole game of doom3 put together!), but you also have a huge amount of ammo too.

Its not too tactical, but when the other 2 players "understood" what we were doing, then it really got fun. Its fun focusing the firepower of 4 guys to storm your way out of a hanger, then push back two waves from both sides.. Then literally muscle your way through down a hall. Its pretty hiliarous seeing one guy offloading a rocket after rocket, another shooting the plasma gun, another holding down the chain gun, and the other with the double barrel shotgun for anything that snuck up close while you all slowly work your way down a hallway..

They even got the first 10 levels of Doom 1 totally remade in the D3 engine.. complete with the secrets, at least the ones that my friend and I rememebered.. With the diff cranked up, it was alot harder than we remembered D1 to be, especially since you have to aim now!

RoE was pretty good too.. Felt more like some of the better levels of D2, in a good way.

Its a pity Quake 4 isn't co-op. There is a seperate effort, slow progress to code it over to co-op on PC.. http://www.d3opencoop.com/ Note, its a different team than LMS.. I haven't tried their co-op mod for D3.. They have an alpha ver of Q4 co-op..

Well, being that when D1 came out I was between computers and interest in them so I missed it. So there was nothing old hat for me. On the other hand Far Cry did sort of take the punch out of both D3 and HL2. I thought D3 got way too much criticism and HL2 too little. D3 did what I expected, made me jump out of my seat, gave me a good ride and was hard enough to be fun (well except for the final boss battle which was a cake walk). HL2 on the other hand was a different story for me. I played HL six months before 2 came out so I would be up to speed and although HL2 delivered on look, feel and setting, it was WAY too easy and story wise felt more like Xfiles Season 4 rather than deliver on the promise. Episodes actually seems to be a better game so far.:D

Speaking of D3, I haven't played the expansion yet. Time to go to Amazon...

P.S. Its still pretty cool to think about a group of unknown German's who kicked the crap out of Valve and ID by not only beating them to the market but with a better game.:eek:

I'm really hating the monster-soldiers who carry the mini-guns at this point....:mad:

You seriously think its too slow? LOTS of games are slower than Doom 3... How many shooters do you enjoy?

The walking speed and general movement in Doom 3 is at a crawl. Play some of Doom 1 or 2 and *then* play Doom 3. It's like your guy's in mud.
How many shooters to I play? Well, there's always Half-Life 1 or 2, Painkiller, FEAR (which is fast if you aren't using slow motion), any of the Unreal games, Duke Nukem, Halo, etc.
Doom is a slow game. Just because those imps jump at you quickly behind every door or you gun shoots fast doesn't make it a fast game. Quake 4's got the same problem, but luckily the game speeds up your movement once you get about 1/2 way in. Prey's also a little slower, but the architecture and maps don't need the extra movement speed.

I thought the player movement in D3 was just right.. Any faster, and then the monster's speed will be too slow.. because then you'd be able to to back peddle faster than anything else..

D1 and D2 also had relative huge open spaces in their maps, which IMO matched the player speed. I still think they should have made the open spaces in D3 maps larger by say, 10%..

I do agree overall that D3 was a "slow" game, the way it played.. Quake 4 IMO was totally different in this respect, a lot more monsters, and things get more frantic, especially past the half way mark.

Again, RoE expansion ratchets the action of D3 up half to one notch. It reminded me more of D2 for some reason...

I thought the player movement in D3 was just right.. Any faster, and then the monster's speed will be too slow.. because then you'd be able to to back peddle faster than anything else..

D1 and D2 also had relative huge open spaces in their maps, which IMO matched the player speed. I still think they should have made the open spaces in D3 maps larger by say, 10%..

I do agree overall that D3 was a "slow" game, the way it played.. Quake 4 IMO was totally different in this respect, a lot more monsters, and things get more frantic, especially past the half way mark.

Again, RoE expansion ratchets the action of D3 up half to one notch. It reminded me more of D2 for some reason...

I thought RoE was a lot faster as well. For me it was a bit more enjoyable then Doom 3, especially with the double barrel shot gun.

Both D3 and Q4 were/are great games. No doubt AAA titles, polished and finished when they were released, not full of bugs that needed to be patched 2 weeks after the release.

RoE was a very good expansion, almost better than the original.

There is something to be said about outdoors though. STALKER is a great example. (not wanting to ruin this thread):D

Another fan of D3/Q4. There are some great shooters around. Definitely some better ones for the outdoor type of play, but for some reason I feel more immersed in corridor shooters. The cramped spaces create a slightly claustrophobic feel, that helps to pull me in. Dark lighting is another one. This is one of the biggest complaints I see about D3, but I thought it was excellent. I do like using a light mod, but only on one gun. (usually the shotgun or pistol) The only thing I didn't like about either game was the weapons seemed a bit weaker than their predecessors' versions. So I used to go into the defs for them, and bump them up slightly. (just enough so that you can run right up to an imp, shove a shotgun in their belly, and blast them back with a one-shot kill like you could in the old Doom)

Anyway, there is a mod called Narcoza Doom 3 (or something to that effect,) that replaces some of the weapon sounds, tweaks a few things graphically, and rebalances the weapons to perfection. I HIGHLY recommend this mod to anyone playing the game right now.

The only game that pulls me in more than these (using my pair of studio-monitor headphones, and a dark room,) is System Shock 2. (and for different reasons)

Anyway, I always like to jump into a positive thread about D3/Q4. You don't see them that often, and the games truly do deserve praise.

I'll be giving Doom 3, RoE, and the Classic Doom mod a second playthrough in the future with a computer that will allow me to max out the graphical settings at 1920x1200.

Classic Doom - Doom 3 version of Doom's first episode: http://cdoom.d3files.com/

Glad someone posted this. I recently re-installed D3 after finding the missing link in the forced widescreen equation (for me anyway).

For anyone interested in forced widescreen in D3...

*Make sure you've started a new game first, then go to:

Program files/Doom3/base/Doomconfig/

Then scroll down and find these lines:

seta r_customHeight "1050" <--- Enter your res. height here
seta r_customWidth "1680" <--- Enter your res. width here

seta g_fov "115" <--- I had to enter this line myself - start with 100 to leave in the original field of view, but for widescreen, 115 looks much better and more accurate.

seta r_mode "-1" <--- This allows a custom res.

seta r_multiSamples "8" <--- controls antialiasing (0, 2, 4, & 8x will work)
seta image_anisotropy "16" <--- anisotropic filtering

*After this - go to "file" and "save."

*Right click on "Doomconfig" and check "read-only" and hit apply

* This keeps D3 from reseting the file after you launch the game. Note that you will need set any graphics settings other than AA & AF after starting a new game and before exiting D3 (to set them in the Doomconfig file before you alter it and make it READ-ONLY)

I hope this helped anyone!'

BTW - I love this game! It was the first thing I played when I upgraded to (then) next-gen graphics on my P4 3.0ghz @ 6800NU. I was blown away (then) by the graphics (which have aged gracefully, I think). Gameplay is simple and fun, which you need sometimes. We can't always play tactical shooters, yeah? Good times. I'm in Delta Labs at the moment.

***If you need mods - go to Fileplanet, under Doom Files! I recommend Duct Tape Noobs Forever (gun flashlight) and Trent Reznor's Sound Mod (replaces ALL gun sounds with more powerful sounding blasts).

Doom 3 was absolutely brilliant. The atmosphere was completely terrifying and encompassing. No game up to that point had even come close to that level of visceral immersion. The next one that did it was FEAR.

I liked Doom3 alot. I first started playing it on a 2.8ghz P4 Dell with 512mb ram and a FX5200 video card and a 15" screen. I played about half way through this way all the while gathering parts for my next build. Then I built my 4200 X2, 7800 GT Extreme Edition SLi, 2Gb machine with a 26" monitor, started over and the difference was astounding.

Allowing yourself to be immersed into the lore was paramount. If you picked up Doom3 and decided to 'run and gun' it and chose not to read any PDA's or get into the story, you did yourself a disservice, this game wasn't about that. There were many subtle nuances and sounds in the game that was done very well. A nice set of headphones or a decent 5.1 setup enhanced the experience greatly.

Right now I'm playing Area-51 and even though I'm enjoying it (even got a thread going about it), I wish ID would have done it. The Doom3 engine in AREA-51 would rock the socks.

Back