Replacment Gui for 7

Scotch77

Gawd
I just installed windows 7 ultimate on a nearly top of the line machine and I am really less than impressed. I even turned off all performance enhancements and it is just slow. Not to mention the new explorer is crap and looks to cater school girls. Has there been any development like Blackbox for windows 7 yet?

EDIT: nevermind... also WEI is useless. (a 5870 in the same system will score lower then a gtx280...)

I just installed windows 7 ultimate on a nearly top of the line machine and I am really less than impressed. I even turned off all performance enhancements and it is just slow. Not to mention the new explorer is crap and looks to cater school girls. Has there been any development like Blackbox for windows 7 yet?

What do you call a top of a line machine? My sig rig was top of the line about a year ago and Windows 7 screams on it. Hell, it almost screams in my netbook. If you're having performance issues on high end hardware, its something on your end.

pretty similar system, I guess maybe because I am coming from linux, windows just seems slower.

pretty similar system, I guess maybe because I am coming from linux, windows just seems slower.

no comment.

linux was too slow for me... (probably because I thought, "hey, look, let's install every option")

You can set the delay time in the Windows 7 GUI to zero miliseconds, via the registry.

Look for Vista GUI tweaks, they apply (mostly) to 7, too.

Don't feed the troll, guys.

But its SO FUN!:D

I just wanted to see if this was for real. When OP said that he had comparable hardware to my sig rig I knew the rest was probably not to be taken seriously. The Windows 7 GUI on hardware like my sig rig simply screams. Coming from Linux? Honestly.

But its SO FUN!:D

I just wanted to see if this was for real. When OP said that he had comparable hardware to my sig rig I knew the rest was probably not to be taken seriously. The Windows 7 GUI on hardware like my sig rig simply screams. Coming from Linux? Honestly.

I have lesser hardware with more memory (Q6600@3ghz-8GB DDR2-GTX260) and Win7 7100 build "screams" on it

Wouldn't that be because you uh.. you know.. turned off all PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENTS??

To reiterate and emphasize:

2713049064a756f5dceb.jpg

Something wrong with your system. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit is very snappy on my E8400 @ 3.6Ghz, GTX 260.

I don't use any of the fancy stuff added since XP either.
nothankyou.jpg to Aero.

I don't use any of the fancy stuff added since XP either.
nothankyou.jpg to Aero.

The "fancy stuff" is what makes Vista and 7 faster than XP due to offloading the GUI to your video processor.

Obviosly when I said I turned off performance enhancements, I misspoke. I was referring to turning on performance enhancements by disabling all of the fancy gimmick animations and such.

Compared to gnome 2.0+, aero is crap by comparison.

Obviosly when I said I turned off performance enhancements, I misspoke. I was referring to turning on performance enhancements by disabling all of the fancy gimmick animations and such.

That has to be the funniest shit I've read all day.

Gnome better then Aero? At least make it somewhat believable by saying KDE. I'd rather have the shit LUNA GUI from XP then Gnome.

Right now I'm betting PEBKAC, driver issue, hardware issue or a combination of those. My work laptop running a Intel 945GM runs Windows 7 very well and it's quite snappy. My home desktop in my sig is lighting quick even when using Snap, Flip3D and other Aero features.

Let me see if I understood you right. You complain about Aero being fancy, gimmicky and so on, then go on to say Gnome 2.0 (I'll refrain from correcting you that you're referring to Compiz, an addition to Gnome or KDE - oh, wait..) is better? Wouldn't Compiz be even more gimmicky and fancy since it could do a few more things Aero couldn't do?

Win7 isn't slow on my Sony Vaio laptop with a Pentium M and 1gb ram :confused:

Im just sorry for the rest of you guys and your incredibly low standard on what good software is.

Not to mention the new explorer is crap and looks to cater school girls.

I was referring to turning on performance enhancements by disabling all of the fancy gimmick animations and such.

Im just sorry for the rest of you guys and your incredibly low standard on what good software is.

Don't feed the troll, guys.

This shit right here, folks. OP's not really looking for help, just a quick ego boost on the old tired debate on how Windows sux and Linux is awesome.

/Lock thread

LMAO! Wow...OP...I dual boot with Windows 7 and OpenSUSE, and both have their place in my heart, but there's a reason I use W7 exclusively. W7 and any Linux distro on the PLANET will not run much slower/faster than the on the same hardware. The only major differences in speed will be in the millisecond timeframe on synthetic benchmarks.

So - if you have "almost top of the line hardware", then there's no way in HELL that Windows 7 is any slower than any distro of Linux. Seriously. I am curious, though. what's this "top of the line hardware" you have that runs Windows 7 soooooo slowly? ;)

I was actually simply asking if any gui replacements like blackbox have been ported for windows 7, as I haven't been able to find any.

I was actually simply asking if any gui replacements like blackbox have been ported for windows 7, as I haven't been able to find any.
No, you weren't. An example of such a post would be the following:
Are there any GUIs like Blackbox available for Windows 7?
What YOU did was spew inflammatory falsehoods - in short, troll.

I was referring to turning on performance enhancements by disabling all of the fancy gimmick animations and such.

That is completely ass backwards.

Turning Aero off is a performance detriment, not an enhancement. You've just moved the GUI off your video card and onto your CPU, which will degrade performance overall.

What else did you turn off? Superfetch? Disk indexer? Idle defragger? The page file?

Side note: your original question could have been answered by typing "blackbox for windows" into google. Check out the first result.

What YOU did was spew inflammatory falsehoods - in short, troll.

NO NOT TROLL!!
Just a failed abortion.:)

By the way, Gnome....never liked the damn foot. KDE, I could at least live with.

Shell = the way to run a server (which is all I use linux for, nowadays)

At the moment, there are no replacement GUIs for an OS that hasn't even been released yet.

Aero runs fine on the not-even-directx-7-complient GMA950 (On a Core 2 Duo from... 2007?). Fine meaning 1920x1200 with no problems/lag with any Aero feature - Compared to a Phenom X4 and a HD4350 running at 1024x768 (yeah... I just ditched the screen last week:)). Same 4GB ram on both systems.

Ok, you really are just trolling, because on my core i7, with 6gb ram, a 640AAKS, and a 4890, KDE, and Gnome, with or without Compiz, is much, much slower than Windows 7 (Windows 7 Ultimate RTM). I have compared OpenSuse, a gentoo build, Fedora Core, Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and they all seem much, much slower and less responsive than win7 Ultimate (Even with my incredibly crappy hard drive.)

Everyone else has already said this, but no, that's not all you were asking. Quit trying to act like you are Mr. Innocent being picked on by everyone.

You never answered my question, though - what is this "almost top of the line" hardware you're using that is causing W7 to be sooooo slow?

even with the base installed drivers from Microsoft, it is snappier than any Linux distro.

My main point is, from a users standpoint the gui is just not well designed. It is a over the top failure of all modern understanding of gui development. I could go ona nd on of why it is a shitty gui, but I wont. Simplicity and speed is what makes a gui work well, Aero simply does not have that. Gnome, Aqua, XFCE and Luna do. Aero is incredibly sloppy, and its version of Explorer simply sucks. It makes users confused, puts a lot more stress on IT. I know ive seen it first hand with vista.

My team and I manage a few thousand workstations, our number one complaint is on the start menu. We started to move some users to OSX and they all love it, we see about a 80% drop in non technical IT requests. Users just seem to understand Aqua because it is easy to use, it assumes a idiot user, and is designed properly. Gnome is moving in that direction, and its a good one to move in.

so... more crap, less answers?

Forget it. GUI is a personal choice, and if you are going to try and prove your 'paid poster' status, keep it off [H]. 'sloppy,' 'sucks,' and 'shitty' are really well placed technical answers.

Now answer the questions:
How is Aero not 'snappy'?
What are the specs of the system you are complaining about?

My main point is, from a users standpoint the gui is just not well designed. It is a over the top failure of all modern understanding of gui development. I could go ona nd on of why it is a shitty gui, but I wont. Simplicity and speed is what makes a gui work well, Aero simply does not have that. Gnome, Aqua, XFCE and Luna do. Aero is incredibly sloppy, and its version of Explorer simply sucks. It makes users confused, puts a lot more stress on IT. I know ive seen it first hand with vista.

My team and I manage a few thousand workstations, our number one complaint is on the start menu. We started to move some users to OSX and they all love it, we see about a 80% drop in non technical IT requests. Users just seem to understand Aqua because it is easy to use, it assumes a idiot user, and is designed properly. Gnome is moving in that direction, and its a good one to move in.

Before you correct all your spelling errors.

You know, I don't believe a thing you say. First, the start menu is super easy to use, hit the 'Windows' key and type the name of the app you want, and hit enter. How hard is that? Explorer is the easiest to use it has ever been, allowing for the file tree in part of the pane like the advanced explorer from XP, though much nicer to look at. Libraries keeps multiple locations for similar file types in one place, so you can have a complex but easy to use file structure for your documents and media. Networking is the easiest it has ever been, with the homegroup (For home users). Add to that a bunch of features on the desktop that allow for rapid window placement and sizing, (the maximize at the top of the screen, and half-screen sizing on the sides) as well as the new start bar that is both quickbar and task bar at the same time, is much, much more intuitive (I know, i know, stolen from OS X.. whatever, its a great feature)

You are just spreading BS that you have 'heard' from Die-hard unix fans who dont need some of the features Windows offers that linux doesnt (Even OSX doesnt), so naturally think that "Windows is the Devil!" Because it is a large, mostly closed source company who is filthy rich.

Stop being a hater just to be a hater, and actually try it out. And btw, there is no way you have already had all of your few thousand workstations on Win7 with enough time to try it out, unless you and your IT department are idiots and had them running the Beta and RC.. If you were doing that, you all need to be fired.

Oh, and one more thing, Aqua is NOT that snappy. Neither is Gnome, but thats a completely different animal. Even on an SSD, it takes a little longer for things to load after clicking the application icon than I would like. (Though, i did find a couple of tweaks for that.. but not the issue here.)

Back