• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacing Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Cables?

Empty_Quarter

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
2,247
Heya,

I've had my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers for about 6-7 months now, and I think its awesome. However, Ever since I got my set I noticed that the cables used to connect the sub to satellites were of really poor quality. It has gotten to the point where one of the satellites does not play properly because of this (you know, like headphones with a bad wire?).

The cable is a 3.5mm stereo plug on one side which connects to the sattelites, and it splits into regular speaker wire which gets inputed into the sub. Is it possible to find better replacements for these cables? If it doesn't exist, can I fabricate my own? From what I see, its basically speaker wire thats just crammed into a 3.5mm stereo jack, is it as simple as this?

Thanks in advance.
 
Yep, simple as that. You can 3.5mm plugs about anywhere, just make sure you get the +/-'s connected correctly.

The biggest problem is that those plugs are quite small, which limits you in what size wire you can use. And no, sorry, I'm not really sure how big you can go in wire. Trial and error...
 
I think they might be mono jacks instead of stereo, or thats what i think they looked like last time i saw them. Since you only have 2 wires instead of 3? for stereo.

And yeah they can be a little fiddly to get a good connection if you've moved your speakers recently.
 
You can make your own cables, it's easy. I think they are mono. BUT, it isn't the cable that is causing the sound to stop. It's the connection between the cable and the speaker. It is really a poor design, and making your own high quality cables won't really help. If the connection is any better, it's negated because it has a heavier cable pulling on it (at least it didn't help with mine). Good luck.
 
At fiddling around with the cables/connectors, I have come to the conclution that the connectors in the sattelite is the problem.

The situation has gotten worse, to the point a mild bump to the desk would cause the connection to be lose and one sattelite craps out on the sound. It takes an irritating amount of fiddling to fix this.

What do you suggest I do at this point? Would it be easy to replace them manually myself?

If I were to replace this set with lets say a Klipsch or Energy bookshelf set, would I get similar or even better performance? Even though the bookshelf set will not have a sub?

My promedia set is fairly new (8 months?), and I am disappointed that I am looking to replacing them so soon, I was looking a 2yr+ timeframe for that to even happen.
 
You'd get less bass without the sub but MUCH better SQ with the "real" speakers. Not even the same ballpark.
 
At fiddling around with the cables/connectors, I have come to the conclution that the connectors in the sattelite is the problem.

My promedia set is fairly new (8 months?), and I am disappointed that I am looking to replacing them so soon, I was looking a 2yr+ timeframe for that to even happen.

If they're 8 monthes old are they still under warranty?
 
This is a pretty legitimate problem. My set does it occasionally and it's only around 4 months old.

It's insanely easy to crack the satellites open. Not sure how much of a DIY'er you are, but you can either replace the jacks with new ones from radio shack, or you can mount your own custom terminals with a little dremeling. I really don't see any reason to upgrade unless you want to donate your old set to me :p
 
Back
Top