Replacing components in a WC system?

Xylo

Limp Gawd
So, I have a hunch I might have to replace my motherboard in my water-cooled computer. As this is the first major modification I will have to make to it since I put it together, I am not 100% sure exactly what this is going to entail.

1) In all reality, there's no real chance I can leave the system intact and replace anything major, is there? I mean, I really can't fathom trying to replace the motherboard without completely disconnected and draining the water-cooling and re-doing it all back up? That's a ton of work to do one thing, naturally, though.

2) I've never had to drain the WC circuit yet, but having read other posts on here, it sounds like a pain. Any tips anyone has? The case is quite large and heavy, so trying to "tilt it" to get it all out is not particularly viable. and if I have to really disconnect large components, I can't just clamp it off, can I?

Any advice is most appreciated...Thanks!

hmm I guess it depends on your hose routing and lengths but I have no problem unmounting my block and moving it out of the way along with the video card. Are you postive you could not remove the MB and not drain it ?

Sure you can clamp/plug it off.

I doubt it is much bigger or heaver than mine, lay out a towel and lay it on its side and get to work. You can use bread ties or string or wire to "hang" the block etc. out of the way as you swap boards. Build the new board out of the case so all you have to do is slide it in and remount the block.

Perhaps there is some reason this is not possible but I sure as hell would look long and hard as yes, it is a royal pain to redo all that stuff.

Before I installed the motherbard and all my other components, I leaked tested my loop in the case first. I had no problem installing the block onto the motherboard but I also have a removable mobo tray that made things easier. Can you swap out your motherboard without taking apart your loop?

I've done it before, with CPU and GPU blocks. It isn't fun, but if you really want to save the time (and possibly tubing) and keep your old loop configuration, make sure your blocks/anything else with still fit.

Oh, and I really wouldn't recommend taking tubing on and off barbs. Push fits and compression fittings can be ok, but barbs (especially 7/16"id over 1/2" barbs) will bend the the tubing a lot so that it conforms to the barbs. If you can even get the tubing off barbs without ripping it, then just make sure you reattach the tubing over barbs carefully, and definitely use hose clamps.

Back