Replacing a GTX260

jadams

2[H]4U
Looking to replace an ungodly loud GTX260 in the g/f's pc. If I can sell the 260 and buy something newer around the same price point. Just looking for something cooler and quieter. That thing is ridiculous.

Suggestions?

Which price point? What you paid new, or what you can sell it for? Performance wise, a 6870 would be a nice upgrade, while being much quieter and less power hungry. They run around $150-ish new.

i have a 260 and love it but i think a 560 would be nice and use less power to lol, but 260's are around 75 bucks these days so itll be hard to find a newer card for that price, around $1xx or so you can probably get a 6850 used

Yea, Really need to know what "price point" you are talking about. If you are looking to sell the 260 and use that money towards a new card then how much are you willing to put in extra? also what games and at what settings could help in suggesting a card too.

I'd say around 100 tops. When I said pricepiont, around what I could sell it for NOW. sorry for the confusion.

Most intensive thing she plays is Sims 3.

I'd say around 100 tops. When I said pricepiont, around what I could sell it for NOW. sorry for the confusion.

Most intensive thing she plays is Sims 3.

If thats all she plays then just look in FS/FT for a 6850. I see them all the time for $100. Sell your 260, and you'll probably have a $30-40 total.

maybe you need to clean the dust out as a gtx260 is a pretty quiet card. in fact of all the cards I have owned it was the quietest. heck even that silentpcreview site considered the gtx260 to be a quiet card.

I tried. Took the whole thing apart and cleaned it. Reapplied thermal paste. THIS card is just excessively loud and hot.

I tried. Took the whole thing apart and cleaned it. Reapplied thermal paste. THIS card is just excessively loud and hot.
well there must be something wrong with and I doubt somebody else would want it if it is really that bad.

maybe you need to clean the dust out as a gtx260 is a pretty quiet card. in fact of all the cards I have owned it was the quietest. heck even that silentpcreview site considered the gtx260 to be a quiet card.

That is true...it definately one of the quietest dual slot card i've ever seen. Sounds like the fan is broken or something similar.

my gigabyte gtx 260 fan on 90% is quiter than my 2k rpm 120mm 110cfm scythe fans and yea if the fan is busted then itll sell for less then the average but a 6850 is a cheap way to bad you need to upgrade for sims 3 but 6850s play most games well

i have a 260 and love it but i think a 560 would be nice and use less power to lol, but 260's are around 75 bucks these days so itll be hard to find a newer card for that price, around $1xx or so you can probably get a 6850 used

I have bought 2 gtx 260 cards now for $50 each shipped

I think a gtx 460 would probably be a great choice.Certainly is no need too spend more than a hundred bucks.

I just got a 6850 from Newegg for $120 after MIR. A HUGE upgrade from the 4670 I had and it'd be a nice upgrade from your gtx 260. Plus it would future-proof the computer should your g/f decide to play more intense games.

Why not just keep it and buy a quiet aftermarket cooler? With the cooler being so loud, I doubt many would buy it for ~$100.. selling for ~$50 won't get you much for a new card unless a GOOD deal comes along.

I have a couple 260s and a 280 and they are all quiet.

Have you tried downloading MSI afterburner and checking temps? If something is wrong with the fan and it is unnecessarily ramping up, you could always limit the speed in afterburner.

My old 260 OC card was crazy loud, so I flashed it to stock clock with a slight under-voltage. Super quiet after that. Check yours for dust, and if it's an OC model you can use MSI AB to drop it back down to normal settings probably.

Back