replacement dvd for vista

jcmuse

Limp Gawd
i have vista business edition from a promotion ms was doing awhile back (power together). i have yet to activate the serial or anything. the disk that i have is scratched up. i bought vista home premium OEM, so i have the dvd for that. I'm wondering, can i use that DVD w/ my vista business serial and have things work? if not, is it possible to get a replacement DVD?
vista business is pretty much just home premium w/o MCE right?

From what I gathered, there are only 2 types of Vista DVDs: 32-bit and 64-bit.
Other than that, it simply depends on the key you're using. That determines whether the installation behaves as retail, OEM, upgrade of full install, and Home/Business/Ultimate etc (the idea behind this is that the "Anytime Upgrade" consists of nothing but sending you a key, you already have the media).

So if you have a regular Business key, then you should be able to just install it off the other DVD. You could just try, it asks for your key before it installs. You can skip that part, but if you don't, it will tell you right away if it's going to install or not.

I bought Home Premium retail upgrade myself, and because I didn't want to wait for the 64-bit DVD that I ordered (the package included the 32-bit one), I installed with my key off my brother's DVD of Home Premium x64 OEM.
So that worked.

i have vista business edition from a promotion ms was doing awhile back (power together). i have yet to activate the serial or anything. the disk that i have is scratched up. i bought vista home premium OEM, so i have the dvd for that. I'm wondering, can i use that DVD w/ my vista business serial and have things work? if not, is it possible to get a replacement DVD?
vista business is pretty much just home premium w/o MCE right?

yeah you should be able to use that OEM cd with your other key. IIRC, all vista dvd's contain all versions. whichever version is installed or unlocked depends on what key you have so it should still work.

and yeah business is pretty much home premium without all the extra multimedia stuff.

If it comes down to it, I can look for my business edition from Power Together's promotion and make a copy for you. As long as you have your own serial number, it should be fine.

The home premium DVD should work, I just installed Vista Ultimate from the powertogether DVD

Back