Replace my G15 with another G-series, or go mechanical?

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
I've been using the G series since it came out, and it's provided me the best keyboards I've ever owned. Currently I'm using a G15v2 (orange) and it's getting near that time to replace it.

Anyone have any experience going from a G15 to a G110/510/19, or from a G15 to a mechanical such as blackwidow ultimate? Obviously entry level.

I really like having backlit keys, media controls, and at least two programmable keys - so my choices are pretty slim here. I hear the G110's backlighting is kinda crappy, but I have no experience with razer to know if that'll be the case there as well. Also after researching and talking to friends, I'm almost turned off about the "noise" from mechanicals, but the blackwidow uses blues so hopefully it's not too loud.

XARMOR-U9BL also looks nice but it's lacking some of the features that I'm not sure if I could live without.

I'm partial to amazon because I'd like to be able to RMA and return something if I don't like it without it costing me an arm an a leg to do so.

As far as LCD/Macros etc. I used to use 6+ gkeys but have narrowed it down to only 2 since I have moved a ton of macros/keystrokes to the mouse. I do not EVER use the quick macro function, and rarely even use my LCD anymore.

Any suggestions? Stick with Gseries or make the bump to what I'm guessing is the best mechanical option for me, blackwidow ultimate.

It's really up to you, but I had a g15 that was about 3 months old and my friend got a black widow (non ultimate) I went over and tried it out and couldnt go back to the g15. While gaming on a mechanical isnt a huge advantage ( depending on what game you play and how many keys you actually use) but typing on a mechanical is, typing feels much more fluid and I actually type faster on the mechanical. I would recommend getting a normal black widow to see how you like mechanical keyboards before spending 100-120 on the ultimate, another choice would be the das keyboard which after student discount is about 100 (they have cherry brown switches while black widow is blue depending on your personal preference).

I was looking at the das but it lacks a couple features I'd like to have.

Using backlit keyboards for so many years, including on my laptop at work, every time I touch one that isn't backlit I'm like a deer in headlights. I rarely look at the keyboard at all, but there is just something about it lol.

I'll see what the discount is like on the das for me. Unfortunately amazon doesn't have the ultimate any cheaper than direct from razer, but I do still have my month of Prime shipping going on at least. If I could find it for less than 130 I'd have already bought it probably.

You asked a wee bit too late to get the ~100usd razer BWU from Amazon :(

Anyhow, the Cherry Blue switches are *somewhat* noisey, though not to an "annoying" level of noise.

I borrowed my roommates G15 for a while before deciding what to get next. Had an apple chiclet KB, and loved it, so it was a huge difference. However, that being said, I loved it and got te G510 and have been a very happy camper.

my G15 back light died replaced it with the new G510 and love it

Well if your ok with the price and want backlit go with the bwu, the font is ugly but you can prob find one for 100-110 if you keep your eyes out on amazon and buy.com (had it for 103 as well)

Imho mechanicals are just like apple products, for some reason folks think it is cool to pay more for less, get another G series and enjoy the benefits of a real gaming keyboard

Imho mechanicals are just like apple products, for some reason folks think it is cool to pay more for less, get another G series and enjoy the benefits of a real gaming keyboard

It's nothing like Apple. You pay more because the product runs are much smaller and thus cost far more. Some people would actually prefer having mechanical switches and true NKRO to things like an LCD and macro keys. I know I do.

I'm almost turned off about the "noise" from mechanicals, but the blackwidow uses blues so hopefully it's not too loud.

Blues have audible feedback. That's what the "clicky" part of the description of them is. They'll actually have more noise than blacks or browns unless you are bottoming out the keys, in which case noise cannot be helped.

I went from the G15 V1 to the Filco with Black Cherries. I'm now using a Noppoo Mini Choc with Brown Cherries... The G15 actually had pretty good keys as far as membrane goes, but I prefer the mechanicals greatly. It was an easy switch for me however because I did not care about the LCD or G macro keys (the latter were only used for the obscene amount of keys you need in MMOs).

Some people would actually prefer having mechanical switches and true NKRO to things like an LCD and macro keys. I know I do.
Sure, at the end of the day it's all about personal preference, but since we are talking about gaming the utility of NKRO is marginal at best whereas the macro keys can be relevant in pretty much any game if you set them up to be useful and if you are accustomed to using them.

For the overwhelming majority of users NKRO is about epeen rather than any practical advantage. How do I know that? Simple. If NKRO were relevant then the majority of keyboards in use world wide would feature it. Since the majority of keyboards world wide does not feature NKRO it is clearly not something that consumers and professionals find necessary.

Just out of curiosity, in what situation do you personally benefit from NKRO?

um hello,, noob, to keyboard lingo, what is NKRO and i take it the G15( i own one) has the rubber push down contacts withe the crossed metal spring. Mechanical is what then?
Also i have touched a G19 and they are pretty nice,

um hello,, noob, to keyboard lingo, what is NKRO and i take it the G15( i own one) has the rubber push down contacts withe the crossed metal spring. Mechanical is what then?
Also i have touched a G19 and they are pretty nice,

NKRO = N-key rollover. Cheaper (and even expensive, sometimes) keyboards will only register a certain amount of keys being pressed at the same time. So, for example, if I had W + A + Q + Z all pressed at the same time (forward + straft left + lean left + voice chat), the keyboard may only register two of those key presses. Other keyboards are designed to handle more key presses, and N-key rollover means that any amount (N) of keys can be pressed and registered at the same time. On a final note, NKRO is only supported using a PS/2 connection; USB connections are limited to something like 5 or 8 simultaneous keys.

You really need to try a mechanical keyboard to appreciate them. Cheaper rubber dome keyboards like the G15 and G19 have a soft mushy feel which allows keys to slightly slide around and wobble when they're pressed down. Mechanical switches have a much more solid and precise feel to them. You won't really notice it if you go and press a single key as much as you will during extended typing session. It's sort of like driving a car with a manual transmission for years, and then driving an automatic. For most people, the automatic feels perfectly fine, but for someone used to a manual it feels very sloppy and imprecise.

Having owned both versions of the Logitech G15 (blue and orange), my next keyboard will be a Razer Black Widow Ultimate. Mechanical + backlighting + media keys is exactly what I was looking for in a keyboard. The USB / audio hub and macro keys are just added bonuses.

I didn't get a Filco because it's "cool", but because I don't like mushy keyboards.

Mechanical all the way! Save $100s by buying an old/use IBM Model M. i got mine in pristine condition for $17 shipped on ebay. Nothing like a little Clorox wipes to give it a spick and span cleaning :)

I went from G15 to Blackwidow Ultimate and it was the best computer purchase I've made in a long time.

I went from G15 to Blackwidow Ultimate and it was the best computer purchase I've made in a long time.

I went from a G19 to a Blackwidow Ultimate and I agree, best purchase I've made in a long time.

Am using and have used a G15 for ages....just pulled the trigger and ordered a Deck Legend Ice tactile (cherry clears) today. Been like 20 years since I used a mechanical.

I was torn between the Deck and the Blackwidow Ultimate. I think the keys on the Deck will suit me a bit better than the BWU, but who knows since i'll never use them side by side. But quieter is better for late night gaming for me...

I like the style and simplicity of the Deck, but will miss some of the features the BWU has, like the macro keys and being able to disable the Windows key.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, especially previous G-owners that went a different route.

I'll probably pick up the BWU soon, hopefully a sale comes along. If I don't like it I'll RMA it for a 510 maybe.

I went from a G15 to G19 when it wore out. The G19 has fewer special keys, but it feels like an upgrade. The keys are a bit mushy, but easy to type on and I lost the need for an IBM style keyboard a long time ago. I kind of don't want to try one again as I like the G19 and don't want to be reminded of what I'm missing.

I just wish there was more software to really take advantage of the color LCD.

I didn't read anything in this thread but I'll put in my advice regarding the G15 and switching to a mechanical keyboard.

Don't waste your time with rubber dome keyboards unless you absolutely have to. I have two G11's and a G15, and they are complete and utter shit to type on compared with a mechanical keyboard. You may not notice the horrible quality of a rubber dome keyboard now, but if you switch, you will. Keys on the mechanical keyboard feel crisp and respond perfectly to your fingers.

I know a lot of people don't understand how its possible that a keyboard can make that huge of a difference but it can. And spending $100-$300 on something you use so often, the most used interface, is really not that hard to justify.

Buying a mechanical keyboard was honestly the best computer purchase I have made.

Mechanical

/Thread

I would honestly recommend MX black switches for gaming, as apposed to Blue.

You can game well on any mech board honesty. I never had issues on my blues or blacks.

On my blacks, typing is painful. If you're a fast typer 70+ WPM, then you are going to find a hard time with blacks. At least that's what I found out with my personal experience with the blacks. I mistype often because the keys don't respond fast enough.

The usefulness of my G19's display and additional functions has locked a G-series keyboard in my rig for quite some time. I've tried all the expensive mechanical keyboards and besides a satisfying CLACK CLACK, I don't see or feel anything worth giving up the display, media keys, and all the stuff on my G19. The G19 has notably better keys than the G15 - I'm not sure about the 510.

Well noticeably better than the G15 is a plus, but in all reality I don't really use my LCD any more. I use it to check what song is playing sometimes but using multiple monitors even that is kinda pointless. The play/pause button stopped working recently too, really hate that.

I can't justify the price of the G19 since I won't use all the features, what I do need is backlighting, some extra programmable keys for macros, and media keys. This pretty much pulls me into BWU, G110 and G510.

The usefulness of my G19's display and additional functions has locked a G-series keyboard in my rig for quite some time.

Other than the display, and I'd argue its usefulness (the entire year I had mine I only used it to display parse info from the EQ2 log parser) the BWU has media keys, macro keys and usb passthrough. So the only thing you're giving up is the LCD and its beyond worth it for the quality of keyboard you get with mechanical switches.

I recently switched from a G15 to a 104 filco with blues and the differance is like night and day, I actually took it to work with me all week because typing on membranes after just felt odd and almost mushy. I too liked having the backlight on my keyboard but got use to not having it really quick, can't recommend getting a mechanical keyboard enough. Just do it and dont look back. As for the model you get it all really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

The BlackWidow Ultimate is great, I upgraded from a G15 and a Saitek Eclipse II before that.

Not everyone likes mechanic though, try out someone's first and then decide.

For the BC2 and BF2 players here with the BWU, how have you dealt with the non-standard placement of the F-keys? I've got pretty good muscle memory for switching between pilot/driver and gunner positions ... I like all the features of the BWU except for the noise of the blues (but could workaround by closing my room door) and the placement of the F-keys.

I loved my Di Novo Edge for its shortcut able keys (and especially the convenient track pad), but I'm going back to a mechanical since typing is much better on them (I've been disappointed with every keyboard since the inception of rubber dome ones and kept my old 90's keyboard at home for years). I don't think I will miss much the programmable keys since the ones I mostly need (aka Winamp shortcuts) I can easily use with standard Winamp shortcuts, for example.

I considered buying the G15 family several times, but every time I went to the shop I found the "rubbery" the worst keys for typing until I tested the new Logitech Illuminated keyboard, which to me has won the prize of most awful desktop keyboard for typing.

Just my 2c

rubber domes are nasty, so my vote is going to mechanical :>

I've got a g15 but a couple of the keys have started sticking (w+d, guess why....)
anyway pulled one up and the rubber dome has torn, so going mechanical this time around.

I considered buying the G15 family several times, but every time I went to the shop I found the "rubbery" the worst keys for typing until I tested the new Logitech Illuminated keyboard, which to me has won the prize of most awful desktop keyboard for typing.

Just my 2c

Really? I like my Illuminated Keyboard! I guess I've gotten used to it though.

I just switched from a G19 to a Black Widow Ultimate and typing is like night and day. The clicky sound and feel of a mechanical is almost addicting. I almost get into a contest with myself to see how fast I can type.

I do miss the dedicated multimedia keys and the keys on the Black Widow seemed smaller(?). When first switching to the Black Widow my pinky kept resting on the Caps Lock key instead of the A, but you get used to it over time.

Really? I like my Illuminated Keyboard! I guess I've gotten used to it though.

I really went to the shop decided to buy it (I thought it had as a similar feeling than the D. Edge) but to me it was a bit disapointing to me. I think that I could live with the Dinovo Edge since it has a relatively good scissors mechanism (for its price it better should...), but don't get me wrong, I prefer a more "mechanical" feeling and rubbery feeling is not for me :)

I almost got the Razer BWU when it was on sale but I hate blue backlighting :(

Are there any other gaming mechanical keyboards out there? I must have backlighting (red/orange/white only I think), and I must have macro keys. I do use the LCD on my G15 (especially for music and temps in game) but I could probably give it up.

I almost got the Razer BWU when it was on sale but I hate blue backlighting :(

Are there any other gaming mechanical keyboards out there? I must have backlighting (red/orange/white only I think), and I must have macro keys. I do use the LCD on my G15 (especially for music and temps in game) but I could probably give it up.

I don't think those options exist in North America...Deck has the colors but no macro keys.

I'm on a wild goose chase myself, wanting to find a ten keyless MX black board. Only place I can find them is ordering from Taiwan :( Although an Amazon affiliate just started selling Filcos, and waiting elitekeyboards getting Leopolds in...

Back