• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Replace my 4870-1GB - with WTF?

TroyTalksNoMore

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
6,192
Main PC = Q9550 + 4870-1GB
2nd PC = Q6600 + 4850-512MB
3rd PC = E7200 + 9600-512MB

I want a 5xxx series card (replaces 4870-1GB) to do 3-monitors pretty soon.
- the other cards will flow down into the other PC's

WTF should I get? If I upgrade, I want to spank the 4870 (at least be equal).

I wanted a $100 card - but it looks like the 5750-1GB @ $140 as an equal?

Any advice?
 
Regarding a AMD 5xxx series card, you would be starting off with the 5770 with is roughly a small performance boost from the 4870. If you want the new card to "spank" the 4870 you would have to jump up to the 5850 at the minimum.
 
Yeah you are kind of at a brick wall here.
Unfortunately there is nothing on the market that will satisfy your request.
Closest thing that comes to that is the 5770.

Although looking at your signature according to your PC's specs, $280 shouldn't be that crazy. :p
 
You won't be able to do Eyefinity comfortably anytime soon with a $100 card (unless you're using like three 17" displays, which kinda defeats the purpose of Eyefinity). I agree that you'd want at 'least a 5770, it's about on par w/the 4870 overall and will allow you to enjoy Eyefinity on some games if you tweak the settings a bit (and you aren't running super-high res displays, 3x 1680x150 at best imo). Otherwise you're gonna have to spend considerably more for a 5850, as the above poster stated.

I've been waiting it out myself, at this point I'll probably hold off until NV releases Fermi just to see what they've got and how it affects pricing (and whether they provide their version of Eyefinity to older cards in the GTX 2xx line thru a driver update). Been hoping to see additional 22-23" IPS displays as well, it's slim pickings right now... I'm not sure I'd be happy using TN panels in portrait mode, which probably means selling my 24" to begin with.
 
I'm on a 4850. Only thing i'd get is a 5850. Luckly the game i was going to upgrade for is pushed back til spring 2011. So i'm going to wait it out for northern islands.

I don't know how you use the 3 pcs. But you might want to dump the 9600 , but the 4850 in there and the 4870 in the q6600 pc and buy a 5850 for the main pc. That will let u get your toes wet for eye infinty.
 
...I don't know how you use the 3 pcs. But you might want to dump the 9600, put the 4850 in there and the 4870 in the q6600 pc and buy a 5850 for the main pc. That will let u get your toes wet for eye infinty.

Exactly my plan... almost!
- I am the gamer Dad & the other PC's are my boys...

My plan is to move my Q9550 on the 47" LCDTV @ 1920x1080 over to 3 x 24" monitors.
- to do this - I need a 5xxx series card... and it has to be better then my 4870-1GB!
- FYI my gaming (racing) is just fine for now, but the 9600 kid wants an upgrade.

These kids don't realize how lucky they are to get my hand me downs!
BTW - I am 45 - kids are 21 & 18
 
Hah, you're a good parent, but aren't they approaching the age where you can kick 'em in the butt and tell 'em to buy their own gaming gear? :p
 
and whether they provide their version of Eyefinity to older cards in the GTX 2xx line thru a driver update.

One of the writeups I read about it said that they would. IIRC it was either on anandtech or arstechnica.
 
Hah, you're a good parent, but aren't they approaching the age where you can kick 'em in the butt and tell 'em to buy their own gaming gear? :p

Yes, but I will also want more gaming goodness too - eventually!

They have been recipients of my old PC parts their whole lives... so they have expectations!

I am going to hold off for now... thanks a lot guys! ;)
 
Last edited:
One of the writeups I read about it said that they would. IIRC it was either on anandtech or arstechnica.

Yeah, I'm pretty intrigued by it... Adding a second GTX 260 to my rig could make it a viable multi-display setup... Altho saving $150 when I'd be spending $650 on displays is kinda meh, but I'll take it if at all possible. :p
 
Exactly my plan... almost!
- I am the gamer Dad & the other PC's are my boys...

My plan is to move my Q9550 on the 47" LCDTV @ 1920x1080 over to 3 x 24" monitors.
- to do this - I need a 5xxx series card... and it has to be better then my 4870-1GB!
- FYI my gaming (racing) is just fine for now, but the 9600 kid wants an upgrade.

These kids don't realize how lucky they are to get my hand me downs!
BTW - I am 45 - kids are 21 & 18

I'm 28.. . want to adopt me and send goodies ! haha


I'd also say if you can put a quad core in the 3rd pc you should do it. a q9550 is dirt cheap you can get them for $150 if you look around.
 
Back
Top