Replace Coax outlets with Ethernet througout house?

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have AT&T Uverse Internet and TV in my house. I have been thinking about ripping out all the coax in my house and replacing it with ethernet allowing me to hard wire all my devices (PC's, printers, NAS, TV's, etc). Currently, I have a goofy ass wireless bridge setup across my house to my office that is very unreliable.

My concern is that while stay with AT&T, using ethernet to connect my TV's will be fine. What about if I switch to Comcast. AT&T and Comcast are the only two providers in my area that will likely never change. Is Comcast still using coax to connect TV's?

Just run cat5e/6 and buy different wallplates (with coax and ethernet). No need to pull the coax.

The reason I was thinking of ripping it all out was because I didn't know if Comcast was replacing coax with cat5/6 like AT&T has.

There is a good chance the cable could be nailed to the stud. Also, there could be drilled holes that barley fit the cable and would snag depending how you had the cat6 secured to the end.
I would run separate wire.

My concern is that while stay with AT&T, using ethernet to connect my TV's will be fine. What about if I switch to Comcast. AT&T and Comcast are the only two providers in my area that will likely never change. Is Comcast still using coax to connect TV's?

Yes, they still use coax, but you could use something like a HDHomeRun (w/ CableCard) + Xbox over the network. Note, however, that some channels will be blocked. How many depends on your locale. Verizon just screwed me over fairly recently and enabled no-copy flag on all channels so I can only use my HDHomeRun on the PC itself, not via the TV. Because, you know, their lobbyists are so good that they are allowed to just legally turn off the competition to their outdated, overpriced, non-evolving cable boxes.

I doubt Comcast, or any other cable company, is going to switch from Coax to Ethernet anytime soon. The cable industry as a whole is also pushing MoCA as the alternative to Ethernet. Your best bet is to run Ethernet to every location you may need while leaving the Coax in place. Otherwise you could try to find a more reliable wireless setup. Perhaps the most expensive solution would be to look into MoCA adapters for every location that needs it and is close to an existing Coax drop.

I'd leave the coax in. I have the latest X1 service in place, and while the X1 DVR has Ethernet support, I don't know if it's for carrying live TV traffic. In addition, I can still get 150Mb service w/ X1 in place. Rumor has it that we will be getting 300 soon as well. All I'm say is that they can still cram a ton of data down that coax connection.

I think I'll be leaving the coax in place then. I'll just get different wall plates like thelead said earlier.

I'd leave the coax in. I have the latest X1 service in place, and while the X1 DVR has Ethernet support, I don't know if it's for carrying live TV traffic. In addition, I can still get 150Mb service w/ X1 in place. Rumor has it that we will be getting 300 soon as well. All I'm say is that they can still cram a ton of data down that coax connection.

This is what I needed to hear. I guess I should have asked from the beginning about Comcast's X1 service. I was hoping that the X1 service was ethernet only.

This is what I needed to hear. I guess I should have asked from the beginning about Comcast's X1 service. I was hoping that the X1 service was ethernet only.

It's possible that they can use the Ethernet connection to extend TV to other rooms, I'm betting that's down the road at least.

Even DirecTV is using moca (DECA) for their boxes, you could run ethernet to them all to enable some of the ondemand features but it's easier to just use DECA and the cinema connection kit or the HR34s and HR44s built-in injectors to get it out to the rest of your house over coax.

Just an fyi with uverse over coax, the uverse boxes act as switches when you connect a device to their Ethernet port, so as long as you still have uverse you may not even need to run cat 6 to some spots anyway.

I have just used regular cables no need for crossover.

I hope this helps

Just an fyi with uverse over coax, the uverse boxes act as switches when you connect a device to their Ethernet port, so as long as you still have uverse you may not even need to run cat 6 to some spots anyway.

I have just used regular cables no need for crossover.

I hope this helps
That's called HomePNA :)

Effectively coax-based ethernet, exposed by your cable boxes (anywhere they're s a cable box, there's ethernet). It's similar to the competing coax-ethernet standard MoCA.

Back