• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Repeatable inexplicable system shutdown

Dark Shade

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
1,872
I was playing TF2 last night, in the middle of a game when my entire computer shut down completely. I waited a few moments and it started itself back up, so I assumed it was a power surge or something and went on with starting TF2 again... when it completely shut down again the moment I entered the game.

I'm running Furmark right now to check GPU temps and ran the Intel Burn test for CPU temps. CPU temps don't go above 70C, and I'm going to find out what my GPU temps are when I come back home, but when I last checked them they were under 80C, so I seriously doubt it's the temperatures. From what I can tell from searching other threads, is my power supply taking a dump? I'm open for ideas and suggestions! :cool:

Edit: The specs of the machine are listed under "Dino" in my signature
 
Last edited:
sure sounds like a psu issue if not a gpu overheating problem.
 
Well, I came back to my computer after work and it was still running... but nothing on the screen. I turn it off, wait a few moments and turn it back on. Just fans blowing, and occasionally the GPU fan will ramp up in RPMs only to die down a moment later to idle. At this point I'm almost positive it is the PSU
 
heh, yah, don't buy another GXS, get a real PSU. :p Something from Corsair should be good, or wait for others to post alternatives. RMA the GXS and sell it's replacement.
 
Alternatives:
$75 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU
$100 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W Modular PSU
$115 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
 
I'd rec getting from local store new PSU, one you can easily return it.
The problem might lots of things, not 100% it's a psu issue. Bad motherboard is also very possible, eVGA is known to cut costs on components even on higher series...
 
Thanks for the recommendations, probably will head up to Microcenter soon and grab a Corsair or Antec, I assume 700W will be sufficient with a handful of good 12v rails.

On a sidenote, is there any salvaging this OCZ PSU? Would you think I'd be able to use it in lesser machines that aren't nearly as demanding and it would run fine, or do you think it's utter junk? (I'm thinking of powering an Atom-based motherboard with it)
 
It should be fine for machines needing 400W or less, so theoretically, yes, an Atom based machine should be fine with it. How old is it?

I agree with that sysadmin who's bored, since you're not completely sure it's the PSU. If it turns out to be the PSU, definitely RMA the OCZ if it's still under warranty. While you're at MC, you can pickup a PSU tester, or if you have a multi-meter, use that instead (if not, you can get one from MC). ;)
 
Went and bought an Antec Earthwatts 650W from BestBuy, now my rig works fine. I'll just return the unit as soon as I get a better deal elsewhere. Getting an RMA from OCZ for the defective unit as well.
 
With most electronics yes. Additionally, BB limits the return period on most computer parts to 14 days.

Dark Shade, since you've paid the idiot tax already, there's no need for you to go double-dipping. Keep the PSU.
 
Back
Top