Removing sharpie form PETG?

compcons

Limp Gawd
I used a sharpie to mark some bends on my tubing when I assembled this a few months ago (I may have been drinking and overly confident). Having read several articles, I was confident I could remove the sharpie with a dry-erase marker, more sharpie, acetone, or magic eraser. I was wrong. I have a few marks that I can't get off no matter what I have tried. Anyone have a good way of cleaning up sharpie off the tubing or am I destined to see it until I replace the tubes?

Thanks!
EH

Hmm.

If it were on the surface it would definitely have come off with acetone.

If it didn't, that probably means the pigment has absorbed into the plastic, which means likely permanent.

At least that's my guess.

Hmm.

If it were on the surface it would definitely have come off with acetone.

If it didn't, that probably means the pigment has absorbed into the plastic, which means likely permanent.

At least that's my guess.
This.
I have used Acetone lots for cleaning optics and machined surfaces. Acetone even takes anodisation top layer off aluminium if it's not super hard and well done, even then you'll get some colour/dye off. If you can't get it off with that then you're probably buggered.
Abrasives would be my next suggestion, then something to clear coat or fill in the roughage but it might still look a bit rough, try that on an off cut first..

Alternatively just paint it, but I think the latest fad with WC is that coloured coolant so.. good luck! haha

Just get a dry erase marker and write over the sharpie, then clean off. This at least works on whiteboards when someone draws on them with a sharpie by mistake (or on purpose!?!?). If it soaked into the plastic it may be a lost cause, but hey worth a shot.

Back