removing PSU cables

So I have an Antec Truepower 430W and it has this awful long and thick auxillary output cable which I currently have cable-tied to the inside of my case but it makes the inside look crappy (I have been trying to clean up the inside of my case). So how could i remove this cable all the way? I do not just want to cut it off as close to the PSU as possible but maybe go inside the PSU and unsolder it which is where my question(s) come(s) in.

Could i unscrew the PSU and rip the cable off? Is it safe to do this as long as i do not touch anything but the wire and the outside of the PSU?

What I would do if I was you would be to open up the psu, snip the wire, and put heatshrink around the ends. Its nice and neat, you could attach the wire later if you need to sell it, no one could see it from the outside, and its safe from grounding.

Unsoldering is the best option;
I just did the same operation to my new Antec True480

As for safety, here's my procedure for discharing a PSU.

1. Plug everything into a working system
2. Turn on the system
3. Pull out the AC power cord (or hit the AC switch)
4. Wait the few seconds it will take for the system to completly power off
5. You should also hear a high-pitched sound, of the capacitors discharing
6. Hit the case power button, to ensure that all the electricity is gone, and check to see that there are no lights left on the mobo (somo mobos have lights indicating when they are getting power)
7. Rip out the supply, and don't worry about shocking yourself now.
8. ...
9. Profit

Try this: Cut the wires close to the exit grommet and heatshrink as above, but instead of cracking open the case, just push the wires inside the unit. you've heatshrunk them so there is no danger of shorting and saves you the trouble of cracking open the case.

Fafnir said:
Try this: Cut the wires close to the exit grommet and heatshrink as above, but instead of cracking open the case, just push the wires inside the unit. you've heatshrunk them so there is no danger of shorting and saves you the trouble of cracking open the case.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Only problem is that i have no heatshrink. Ya people think that Menards has some? I don't work tomorrow and could run over and get some. is heatshrink used in any applications besides computers? It would have to be.

I would just open it up. No telling where the wires are gonna go if you just push them in...but that's just me because my warrenty is already voided when I sleeved and made it into a modular psu.

Seraphim974 said:
Sounds like a good idea to me. Only problem is that i have no heatshrink. Ya people think that Menards has some? I don't work tomorrow and could run over and get some. is heatshrink used in any applications besides computers? It would have to be.

Yeah, Menards has heat shrink. It is in pre measured lengths (about 4") and secured on cardstock in a plastic bubble. Look in the electical section with the wire, wire nuts, loom wrap and solder.

dandragonrage said:
Desolder them. Cutting wires is dirty whether you heatshrink or not.
Agreed, it will always be nicer if you desolder. More professional, and is more able to be re-sold; People don't miss the AUX connector, but they will notice if it's diked off and heatshrinked

hmmm, anyone know of a good picture of what i will be desoldering will look like? Is it really intricate? and anyone know of a good way to clean off the tip of a soldering iron? Mine has this nasty black grime that cannot be removed with flux and makes it so the very tip of the gun alone will not melt the solder. Sometimes I must melt the solder all the way up the iron by the grip because of how dirty it is...

As long as you have some experience solderin I think it won't be too much trouble. As far as cleaning the tip you can try a wet sponge or if it's really bad you can try some sand paper when the iron is cool. If your tip is really f'd up then you might want to get a new tip for it. gl hf.

Even though your psu should be discharged use common sense and don't start sticking a screwdriver in it... :D please.... :p

Back