Removing heatspreaders from HyperX memory?

Vonkhan

Limp Gawd
Is there a safe/reccomended way to remove the heatspreaders from DDR RAM, specifically HyperX memory?

Any risks or anything that I should be careful with?

The risk is, you can kiss your warranty goodbye. Many many times you destroy the memory by removing the heat spreaders. They are on there for a reason, so leave them on.

If your attempting to find out what chips or on the stick, who cares. I'm not directing this at you. But too many people get carried away. If you know your board has BH5 or whatever chips it will overclock to a certain speed. If you don't know the chips, because you left the spreaders on, it will still overclock to the same speeds.

Considering how often memory dies, in relation to other components, I would value the ability to return it for free.

I got a pair of custom black aluminum heatspreaders with LEDs on top (like that of Corsair's). The LEDs aren't connected to the RAM, of course but they are sound activated.

I just gotta!

Well, alright...but don't say I didn't warn you. Be very very careful when removing them, and go very slow. The best bet would be either freeze them for a few hours to make the glue brittle, or run them in your system to warm up the glue. I'm not sure which is best, but someone else who's done it may have an answer.

I would just leave them on. If kingston put them there... it was probably for a reason, and they really don't want you to take those things off. Seeing especially as soon as you look at them with the urge to take them off the warrenty is void, lol.

Most Kingston HyperX does not have any numbers on the chips. They just have "Kingston" printed across each chip. If you want to know what chips the ram has, just post the model number from the sticker. I have a pair od KHX3500/256 modules and they are CH-5. I only have them running at 420MHz (2x210).

Personnaly I would leave them on. But follow the freezer idea.

I removed mine, I pried them off of one stick, took a while.
I boiled the other stick in hot water and removed the spreaders easier...let it dry for a day and it works just like it did originally.

(I had read about bioling it on some forum....)

Originally posted by dbwillis
I removed mine, I pried them off of one stick, took a while.
I boiled the other stick in hot water and removed the spreaders easier...let it dry for a day and it works just like it did originally.

(I had read about bioling it on some forum....)

brave man...

I slid a small flathead screw driver in under the spreader and gave it a slight twist... and they pop off.

Back