Removing copper tarnish

What's the best way to remove the tarnish from copper on the outside of my blocks? I know it doesn't have any effect on anything, I just like it to look good. What can be done to keep it from tarnishing?

Ketchup works awesome. If you have really bad tarnish, let it sit for 6minutes, then rub it in more and wait an additional 5. Then rinse!

I used brasso to remove it. Then I clear coated the sides that arn't involved in heat transfer.

Ketchup? Hmm, ok I can try that I guess.

I was wondering if clear coat would work. My EK 8800 block is tarnished across the top already, so I'll have to pull it off and get a can of clear and some masking tape.

Thanks guys!

Ketchup? Hmm, ok I can try that I guess.

I was wondering if clear coat would work. My EK 8800 block is tarnished across the top already, so I'll have to pull it off and get a can of clear and some masking tape.

Thanks guys!

Hmmm... define "top"

Maybe I should go do some preemtive clear coating :p

BTW, I failed to mention a key point! Use heinz if you are a democrat or use huntz if you are a republican.

Hmmm... define "top"

Maybe I should go do some preemtive clear coating :p

The part you see when it's installed normally, I guess technically it's the side!

Here's a pic, it looks worse in person and is difficult to capture with a camera.

large.jpg

medium.jpg

More specifically, (I believe) it's the vinegar (with a little help from the acidic tomato paste) that's in ketchup that does the cleaning. So get you some vinegar and soak a cloth in it. Then rub the cloth on the block and it'll remove the tarnish. This way you won't have a nice layer of corn syrup to rinse off when you're done. :D

Bah everyone should own a bench grinder with a buffing wheel, some jewelers rouge and 5 mins BLING !! Keeping if that way is altogether a different thing, I use turtle wax. Carnauba for da win.

let it soak in white vinegar for a couple of hours

trust me, comes out looking brand new

i wonder if pee would clean it?

maybe we all need to start running urine in our loops

It's the acid in the vinegar the removes the tarnish so if you really don't wanna smell like that then use Lemon Juice it works great and you don't smell awful when your done. I've used it several times and works great.

The bonus is that when your done you can set on the floor and your pets lick the lemon juice off. :p

It's the acid in the vinegar the removes the tarnish so if you really don't wanna smell like that then use Lemon Juice it works great and you don't smell awful when your done. I've used it several times and works great.

The bonus is that when your done you can set on the floor and your pets lick the lemon juice off. :p

you'll smell awful when u're done if you use urine, but your pets may still lick it off after.

I'll agree with ketchup as well (for not needing to go out and spend more money).
I have also used vinegar & salt mixture (another almost free cleaner)
Tarn-X works well for removing tarnish (but has a heavy sulfur smell)
For those that already have it.... the Arctic Cleaner Kit (solution #2 - purifier) works well on copper too.

Back