removeable mobo tray

jerb

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Messages
322
looking for a removeable mobo tray that i can buy online for under $20 USD (if possible) for a futer mod. i have tried a few google searches but the closest ive come is a $60 case of directron. any one out there know where i can buy one? (ATX form factor)
 
are you saying you want to buy just the tray? If thats the case, as far as I can tell, thats not possable. Cases come with removable montherboard trays, you cant just by them and install them.
 
Making one is fairly simple with a few spare brass standoffs and a sheet of alumiunim or styrene plastic.
 
i have plans drawn up already for a cube case im making and i dont really want to deal with fabricating a backplate (theres enough work involved as it is) so id prefer to just buy one and install it into my custom case (made from scratch so i can make it fit). does that make sense? :confused:
 
I hear ya. I tried getting a removeable mobo tray here also, and all I got was "Make one yerself" also. Like it's not enough to do a custom case, you gotta make everything? Sorry, this is one piece I didn't want to make.

Anyway, back to your question: found one. Bought it myself. All aluminum mobo tray. You can find it here. It's actually closer to $30, but it's a damn nice tray, and they shipped it out to me pretty quickly. I tried getting it added to the FAQ, but no go there. Enjoy.
 
What I did, for my scanner computer mod, was to take a cheap computer case that I didn't care about, and remove the mobo tray. Sorta screws the case up, but if you're not worried about that, then what's it matter?

Newegg has an el-cheapo case on their Monday sale, here for ~$30 shipped. The nice thing about using a case, too, is that if you're needing switches, fan mounting holes, led's (for power/hdd), hard drive cages, etc, you've also got all that in a case, that you can cut out and re-use. :D
 
Holy Crap ! :eek: You could get one nice case or a couple of cheap cases shipped for what Mountain Mods wants for a mobo tray!
 
i like the lan li one :D

im going to venture that it has a fairly sturdy build quality (lan li's good about that) ant thats a reasonable price (sry but mountain mods would be a last resort... there too expensive. id hack up an el cheapo case but id mess it up and things would get messy


thank for the help evrey one :cool:
 
I understand you dont want to build one but heres a suggestion.I built one out of a piece of plexiglass and used #4 screws to secure the mobo with nuts. I brought the screw thru the back of the glass, placed two nuts on the stud, then the mobo and then finally a last nut to secure the board. Works like a champ and was realy easy to make. Took 10 minutes. I also used velcro to secure it to my case. But then my case is weird, er unique.
 
If you get the one from SilverPC, like I did, make sure you get some standoffs too. They take the Lian-li custom standoffs. They are square ones and not like normal square ones.
 
BTW it's possible to buy a tray directly from Coolermaster, they'll be RMA condition ones (I have little idea what the real difference is) for about $15-18 bucks. Send them an email about purchasing replacement parts. I've tried to get one about a month back with several emails back and forth but in the end I never got an answer of where I would send my money (I'll send another follow up email later tomorrow I guess). :(
 
rma idea sounds interesting yet so does that newegg case :cool:

all things too keep in mind, however it looks like this project is going to be postphoned due to my ipod dieing :(
 
Hey Jerb
You buy that Eagle case and I'll buy the drive covers from you and the HD rack. :D
 
Back
Top