Remote Support Software....open source out there?

We use Dameware for most of out in house support and occassionaly use radmin. Damewares has lots of potential customization plus can connect to users even if they don't have the client as it will prompt to install it for you and push it to them. Can connect by IP or comp name and has built in ftp file transfer options where u just drag a file from your pc to the program and it transfers to a hidden folder that you can access. http://www.dameware.com/ like i said i just use most of the defaults but seems like it has lots of customization

Never heard of that, looks interesting....until I notice the developement dates and that they stopped in '07.

its a RAT. Don't worry about development date. Its still spank the snot out of the newest remote admin tools. A good example is those you must see this videos while poison ivy is waiting on the other side of the link. Download and have a look at it. Its got some good options. And yes its called a RAT which is a remote admin tool. Its not malware. Its just a swiss army knife of remote administration. You can set up a lot servers with it.

RHUB (http://www.rhubcom.com/) should be on the list.
1. As single click as possible for the remote end user needing support
2. No firewall configuration
3. Several people could login to the same computer to provide support

Just installed Crossloop, and it is wonderful. For being free it will do everything I need and it was easy to configure. Thank you.

i went in here to mention chunkvnc but it looks like it's already on the list!

looking for something that works better over win7/vista with UAC, also allows reboots which is nice...

might deploy dameware for stuff connected via VPN, but it's just too hard to get it going on remote machines...

I realize this is an old thread, but there hasn't been a lot of discussion lately about these options, so it wouldn't hurt to refresh the list.

I have been using join.me and free TeamViewer on the rare occasions that I need to remote access a client that doesn't have SBS/RDP, and they have worked well. However, those rare occasions are getting more common, and I need to get a real solution in place.

I like Teamviewer's ability to start as a service after restart and that I don't need any end user action to allow control. The only thing I don't like about it is the price ($749 for the most basic option). Are there any other service in this thread or otherwise that can compete with Teamviewer's abilities at a better price?

Do you need file transfer, access to printers, or sound?

If no, then LogMeIn Free will do what you need. Otherwise LogMeIn Pro has those features, at $69.95 per computer per year. Cheaper if you buy quantities. See:
https://secure.logmein.com/products/pro/purchase.aspx

I use the Free version on all of my clients' workstations and servers. I purchased the Ignition program (for the desktop and my Android phone) so I don't need to log into the web site first then connect to clients. I also purchased the Central so I have ability to give clients' remote access to their computers.

Do you need file transfer, access to printers, or sound?

If no, then LogMeIn Free will do what you need. Otherwise LogMeIn Pro has those features, at $69.95 per computer per year. Cheaper if you buy quantities. See:
https://secure.logmein.com/products/pro/purchase.aspx

I use the Free version on all of my clients' workstations and servers. I purchased the Ignition program (for the desktop and my Android phone) so I don't need to log into the web site first then connect to clients. I also purchased the Central so I have ability to give clients' remote access to their computers.

File transfer would be good. Printers/sound are not necessary.

I have used LogMeIn for a few clients to connect to their own machines, but the install process is a little more complex than what I would like for support purposes. The closer to one click I can get, the better.

we use tightvnc, some reason it just is crap lately, the refreshing is terrible. anyone have a better alternative. connecting to internal network only.

I am sure all 3 have been mentioned (did not read thread).

But at work we use Damware, VNC, or Teamviewer.......all work great. VNC Is nicer due to some users here with multi monitor set ups, so RDPing into them using dameware you have to click on the screen you want to display. With VNC it shows the whole display area.

I am sure all 3 have been mentioned (did not read thread).

But at work we use Damware, VNC, or Teamviewer.......all work great. VNC Is nicer due to some users here with multi monitor set ups, so RDPing into them using dameware you have to click on the screen you want to display. With VNC it shows the whole display area.

using dameware you can see both at once... do it all the time, i can open it wide and see both their screens on both my screens too, it's nice...

i wouldn't see the point in using dameware to RDP

I realize this is an old thread, but there hasn't been a lot of discussion lately about these options, so it wouldn't hurt to refresh the list.

I have been using join.me and free TeamViewer on the rare occasions that I need to remote access a client that doesn't have SBS/RDP, and they have worked well. However, those rare occasions are getting more common, and I need to get a real solution in place.

I like Teamviewer's ability to start as a service after restart and that I don't need any end user action to allow control. The only thing I don't like about it is the price ($749 for the most basic option). Are there any other service in this thread or otherwise that can compete with Teamviewer's abilities at a better price?

Other than logmein free....I think once you turn to "paid"...teamviewer is good value.

We're doing so much MSP stuff now that we ponied up for our own N-Central server so we now use N-Able for all our managed clients.

Is there anything like this for mobile devices.....aka I can support/control an iphone from my computer?

Is there anyone on this forum who has an intel amt system and wants to help testing a new softwarepackage for it? (free online software)

plz send me a private message then.

I hope I'm not breaking the forum rulez with this.

Is there anything like this for mobile devices.....aka I can support/control an iphone from my computer?

I'm not sure any devices allow remote control right now. The software I use did a blogged about this awhile ago. Maybe things have changed since that was written- but I really think it is up to the manufacturers and the providers.

I use simple help for my business. Host it on my server and its working great! Win/Mac/Linux

$300 per session for life.

I'm a 1 man computer tech small business, support a few hundred clients. All my domains are being remote controlled with Remote Desktop, which does a great job. For my home users/small businesses I use Ammyy Admin (I purchased a license), which is incredibly fast and has plenty of features. My only issue is needing to run my clients through the Ammyy Public routers instead of having my own private router. In the past Ammyy provided the private router for free but now they only provide it if you have at least 50 licenses (still free though). I offered to purchase the private router software but they declined! I have an old copy of ammyy_router.exe from 2008 that isn't very useful with the current version of Ammyy Admin.

I guess I'm hoping someone out there has been through what I'm looking at and has a better solution than "just use the public routers" or "use different software" :confused:

Meraki Systems Manager or TeamViewer

What does this have to do with Ammyy Admin? If you use Teamviewer accepting the TOS it would cost a fortune. Anything with Cisco in it's name means it going to be exceedingly expensive. A lifetime license with Ammyy was around $65, I can connect to 2 clients at the same time, shortcuts can be created for ease of connection (including password), it's fast as sin and mostly issue free. If I'm away from my computer I can run Ammyy in under a minute from any computer and quickly connect. My only complaint is I'd rather have my clients connected to my own server, not a public router. This is a security/trust issue, not a usage or cost issue.

Last edited:
Meraki systems manager is free. unlimited clients. enterprise and personal usage. same

Says free up to 100 clients on the demo page. I'll have to check it out though.

Have still been chugging along with SimpleHelp for awhile now. It's been rock solid and works fairly well. Have had a few issues we've reported as bugs and they seem to get fixed! Which is great to see.

Use bomgar, works great. As long as they have an Internet connection, or are on the local network.

Supports a lot of features. For privacy reasons we enable to prompt the user to click "ok" to allow us to connect.

One more vote for Screen Connect. Deployed to close to 10k devices and works flawlessly. Cost is completely negligible when using the site license option.

RHUB (http://www.rhubcom.com/) should be on the list.
1. As single click as possible for the remote end user needing support
2. No firewall configuration
3. Several people could login to the same computer to provide support

anyone have any more info on this? $300 for a dedicated remote access appliance seems almost too good to be true???

anyone have any more info on this? $300 for a dedicated remote access appliance seems almost too good to be true???

It is too good to be true...

Look at the pricing for "7. TurboSupport Remote Support & Access Servers"

Buy | R-HUB

Back