Remote Into a VM Ware Computer?

osrk

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running windows server 2008, if I install vmware and then install xp 32 bit could I remote into in the virtual windows 32 bit machine? I also have two physical NICs and two ip addresses.

Generally speaking; Yes.
I depends on how you set it up, but you can set it up so that you can remote access the VM.

No need for VMWare..use Hyper-V in 2008 server, but you can use Vmware if you really want to.

Once you setup the VM, you can RDP into it like it was a normal physical machine, anything youd have to enable on a physical box...enable on the VM

Anyone want to provide any details?
The answers are only as good as the question asked. ;)
Whether you can remote in or not will depend on any number of factors, including but not limited to your network configuration, the way the VM network is configured, which tools you want to use to remote in, and so on,

There's really no point in writing a white paper on how to remote to a VM without knowing more details. If you don't have the details yourself, then just set up a box, start running the VM, and post back if you can't remote in.

dbwillis said:
No need for VMWare..use Hyper-V in 2008 server, but you can use Vmware if you really want to.

Once you setup the VM, you can RDP into it like it was a normal physical machine, anything youd have to enable on a physical box...enable on the VM
IMHO the remote administration of VMs on the enthusiast level is significantly easier when using VMware products than in Hyper-V.

Thuleman..I agree, but I think 2008 needs VMware server 2.0 or workstation...workstation costs $$ and 2.0 is done all via web page, I had problems connecting to the console via the web page..had to change the shortcut to use FQDN

Done. Used VMware 6.0xxx workstation edition. Installed quickly and up and working. Probably didn't need to ask the question in the first place but what the hell it was good to know that it was going to succeed. Thanks!

What an odd configuration. 2k8 w/Hyper-V (but not using it), running Workstation 6.0? Not even 6.5? This thread is just confusing. Was there a reason for Workstation over Hyper-V's native capabilities? I can't think of why you would do this, given that the VM you wanted to run was an XP VM (Hyper-V only supporting Windows VMs, and all).

Care to shed some light, for those of us completely confused? I would agree that VM management has been worked on a lot in VMWare products, and it shows, but we're talking about a host OS that is, itself, running as a VM on a Type 1 Hypervisor, which supports the nested VM he wanted to run.

What an odd configuration. 2k8 w/Hyper-V (but not using it), running Workstation 6.0? Not even 6.5? This thread is just confusing. Was there a reason for Workstation over Hyper-V's native capabilities? I can't think of why you would do this, given that the VM you wanted to run was an XP VM (Hyper-V only supporting Windows VMs, and all).

Care to shed some light, for those of us completely confused? I would agree that VM management has been worked on a lot in VMWare products, and it shows, but we're talking about a host OS that is, itself, running as a VM on a Type 1 Hypervisor, which supports the nested VM he wanted to run.

Easy. I don't think I have hyper V installed and I've never used it. I had a copy of vmware sitting on my hard drive so I installed that instead and also I have more experience with it. I'm sure I could go install hyper v but vmware is working happy as a clam so why screw with what's not broken?

Back