remote desktop problems.... HELP!!

Davenow

Gawd
Ok so earlier this week I put 28 new Dell 1u servers in 2 cabinets
14 in 1 14 in the other
One cabinet has a hub one has a switch
One cabinet was put on the domain tuesday afternoon, the other cabinet was put on the domain Wed morning

We can remote desktop to ALL of the machines in the cabinet that were put on the domain wed morning.
We can remote desktop to two of the machines put on the domain tuesday afternoon.
These are all brand new machines, running win2003 server.
They ALL have internet connectivity, I can remote desktop out of them to other machines on our other domains, and the 14 machines in teh other cabinet.

Things I have checked/done

Checked that all have remote desktop checked enabled
Checked the windows installed components under "add and remove programs" to see if there was anything different, there wasnt that I could see.
Checked the network settings tcp/ip wise and the like
I took the machines off the domain, set them to WORKGROUP, rebooted, put them back on the domain, rebooted, no change
I looked at the services running, it all seemed to be the same between the two sets of machines, I could have missed something though.
I also swapped the hub and switch's places in case the hub was the issue, no change.

Any suggestions? These are all identical machines, with the same software (nothing) installed and set up the same.

I am pretty much an IT n00b (A+ and 3 months exp) and my boss is a 5 year MCSE, and neither of us has come up with an answer, although I have been mostly the one working on it.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts???

Whats the error that comes up, or what happens when you try to RD into one of the effected servers

says something about no terminal servers

But even with no terminal servers, the others work....
And my home machines work without a terminal server....

Given I have not worked with 2003 server, but this is what you need to have for 2000 server, and i am going to guess it is still quite similar.

add remove programs screen, make sure terminal services are installed, or the 2003 equiv

*goes to setup a 2003 server cause curiosity is killin me*

rd.jpg

Tink said:
Given I have not worked with 2003 server, but this is what you need to have for 2000 server, and i am going to guess it is still quite similar.

add remove programs screen, make sure terminal services are installed, or the 2003 equiv

rd.jpg

The wierd thing is its not enabled on the machines that DO work...

This is a long shot, but what the heck...

Have you looked into the Domain Security Policy? (Found: Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Domain Secuirty Policy) Go to Secuirty Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment > Log On Locally. You should have added any users or groups that you want to be able to logon to that list.

Nebuchadnezzar said:
This is a long shot, but what the heck...

Have you looked into the Domain Security Policy? (Found: Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Domain Secuirty Policy) Go to Secuirty Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment > Log On Locally. You should have added any users or groups that you want to be able to logon to that list.

administrators should have acess by default though right???

Davenow said:
administrators should have acess by default though right???

Yes. Domain Admins and the main Administrator account.

Still, check it.

Dont you need terminal server licensing and if you dont have it after a certain number of days the temporary certificates are invalid.

Chroma said:
Dont you need terminal server licensing and if you dont have it after a certain number of days the temporary certificates are invalid.

Not to do remote admin stuff, 2 connections max i think it is limited to, if you want to serve apps then yes you need licenses

OK so I did some more digging

RPC, Term SVcs, Event log services all started

mstsc>localhost brings up this error

REMOTE DESKTOP DISCONNECTED
The connection was ended becasue of a network error. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.

I don't know if 2003 has a software firewall like XP, but I know the firewall screws RD all up sometimes. Even when you have the "allow remote desktop" option selected.

yeah I already checked the firewall and made sure remote desktop is enabled.

This is a real head scratcher....

Davenow said:
yeah I already checked the firewall and made sure remote desktop is enabled.

This is a real head scratcher....

Try disabling it completely. Like I said, it didn't let me RD in even when it was "allowing" it.

What about running a long cable to connect one of the effected servers to another part of the network/connection point.

least that would help determine if its the server (if the problem persists) or the network (if the problem doesnt follow the server connection)

They werent ghosted one to the other, were they (same SID)

Back