Remote Desktop and Win2000 Server

djnes

Fully [H]
Is there anyway to get Remote Desktop to work with Win 2000 Server? I see the client you can download and install, but it's only the viewer...doesn't allow incoming connections. Is there anyway to do it using the normal terminal services, or using the web version? I plan to monitor the server using my XP Pro desktop, and I've always used Server 2003 in the past. I'd like to use 2000 for a change (since it's an old server) but I don't want to pay for any 3rd party software. I'd rather not use VNC either, because if it gets to the point of using 3rd party software, I'll just load Server 2003.

djnes said:
Is there anyway to get Remote Desktop to work with Win 2000 Server? I see the client you can download and install, but it's only the viewer...doesn't allow incoming connections. Is there anyway to do it using the normal terminal services, or using the web version? I plan to monitor the server using my XP Pro desktop, and I've always used Server 2003 in the past. I'd like to use 2000 for a change (since it's an old server) but I don't want to pay for any 3rd party software. I'd rather not use VNC either, because if it gets to the point of using 3rd party software, I'll just load Server 2003.

Win2K server comes with terminal services, but it is not installed by default.

Go to Add/Remove windows components. Select Terminal Services and pick Administration Mode when it asks. :)

As long as you have rights on the server to add/remove applications, you can add Terminal Services and set it in Administrative Mode (not Application Mode).

Im not sure about the Web Connection, but Remote Desktop from XP (Pro, Home and 2000 Pro as well as NT4 for me) works to Win2K servers here at my work.

I use it everyday on my home network - Install Terminal Services in remote admin mode, launch remote desktop on your XP machine, supply the name or IP address of your server box, and you should get a logon prompt in seconds.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that simple. Thanks for the info.

Back