Remote computer management (2 winxpPRO machines)

doh-nut

Supreme [H]ardness
all i want to do is go to computer management in admin tools, and connect to another computer which is right next to me here, and be able to see his services and all his stuff.. BUT it always says error 5 access denied.

everyone ive asked on irc has given me conflicting methods on what to do, they all dont work. i have an admin account on each machine with same password called 'jon'. still, access denied. can anyone help me get this working, because so far no one has been able to anywhere else.

Go System Properties -> Remote -> Remote Desktop and tick that box.

Then set up your LAN so that you can see your other comp in "My Network Places" -> Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network -> "LAN" -> You should see your second computer here.

If you have both of them right then Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Comunications -> Remote Desktop should allow you to bring you second comp to the first.

Thats how I monitor all my Folding Boxen.
The main reason I have found for it to fail is your firewall blocks it.

Luck........ :D

well i already have tightvnc set up between the two, but taking control of his desktop is more intrusive than doing things through computer management when theres a user on it. thats why im asking how to do it through that

i want to be able to see and shutdown the other pc's services at a whim, and shut it down or restart it at a whim, even if hes in a full screen app/game.

ive read up on countless articles on how to get it to work. and i know backwards and forwards how to do it, but what people forget to include is what conditions need to be met first before i take the steps to make the connection.

so when i right click Computer management (local), and select connect to another computer. i get this:

AHH.jpg

but how does it know that i'm fit to have access to the computer if it doesn't ask me for authentication? and even if i'm logged on as the same username/pass on the remote computer as i am on the local(both administrators btw), it will say error 5 access denied. error 5 access denied! haha! access denied! wooo!

I just tried that and had no problems.

I would first set then up so you can use Remote Desktop not Tightvnc.
When you set up Remote Desktop you have to add passwords etc.
Its Wondoze your working with remember.
If that works then try remote management again.

Luck....... :D

Tigerbiten said:
I just tried that and had no problems.

I would first set then up so you can use Remote Desktop not Tightvnc.
When you set up Remote Desktop you have to add passwords etc.
Its Wondoze your working with remember.
If that works then try remote management again.

no luck!

i turned on remote desktop on machineB. by default it had the admin account to have access to it. which is the same account im using on machineA currently. so i go to computer management and try again, but error 5 access denied.

any more suggestions? ill paypal someone $5 if they can help me get this working heh

Do you have the same exact username and password (the admin account, right?) on each PC?

dbwillis said:
Do you have the same exact username and password (the admin account, right?) on each PC?

yes, and they are even both logged in.

Fark_Maniac said:
have you poked around in gpedit.msc ??

maybe something is off in there.

ok ive never been in here. ill start looking around, but i have no clue what i should change yet.

You will need to make sure that both computers have admin rights on eachother.
machineA\Jon is not the same as machineB\Jon, so add machineA\Jon to the administrators group on machineB, and machineB\Jon to the administrators group machineA.

Note: You may want to generalize and just add machineA\administrators to B and vice versa to A, that would save time and not require that Jon be the only administrator with permissions.

You shouldn't have any problems adding users like that. Personally I would just bring up a domain and join both machines to it and then just make 1 domain user that has administrator rights on each machine. Then you only have to worry about 1 account, and say f to the local accounts.

ketox said:
You will need to make sure that both computers have admin rights on eachother.
machineA\Jon is not the same as machineB\Jon, so add machineA\Jon to the administrators group on machineB, and machineB\Jon to the administrators group machineA.

Note: You may want to generalize and just add machineA\administrators to B and vice versa to A, that would save time and not require that Jon be the only administrator with permissions.

You shouldn't have any problems adding users like that. Personally I would just bring up a domain and join both machines to it and then just make 1 domain user that has administrator rights on each machine. Then you only have to worry about 1 account, and say f to the local accounts.

ajksdjf32.jpg

i get that when i try to add the B/admin so that he can have access to a share on my computer A. and when i go into computers, it only lists my local computers. people say there should be all computers in my workgroup there, but only mine shows up :/

edit: when i say computers i mean locations

but besides per file sharing, how do i give rights to an admin from another system for the local computer?

i get that when i try to add the B/admin so that he can have access to a share on my computer A. and when i go into computers, it only lists my local computers. people say there should be all computers in my workgroup there, but only mine shows up :/

If you dont see both computers there then there is no way Windozes can connect them together.
How are you connecting the comp's together ?
Which/ what firewall are you useing ?
If you are useing a firewall what happens when you disable it ?
The only time that has happened to me was when I had Norton Personal Firewall setup wronge.

SJConsultant said:
Just a shot in the dark, but are both computers in the same workgroup?

yes.

heres the real info: computer 1 = \\POSEYJMAC
computer 2 = \\ALLEN

both have admin called 'jon' with same pass on both

both on workgroup = PLUS

both windows xp pro

Tigerbiten said:
If you dont see both computers there then there is no way Windozes can connect them together.
How are you connecting the comp's together ?
Which/ what firewall are you useing ?
If you are useing a firewall what happens when you disable it ?
The only time that has happened to me was when I had Norton Personal Firewall setup wronge.

they can see each other in everything. windows file sharing etc.. they have no connectivity problems. we are going through a linksys router to the internet which has a firewall on it, but i dont think its relevant, as we are all in our private LAN. or is it? if disconnecting the router is the only way to make it work, we can forget that option.

Try running thru the network setup wizard on both computers and make sure file/print sharing is setup correctly.Also ICF as well as any other personal firewall will interfere with the above.

SJConsultant said:
Try running thru the network setup wizard on both computers and make sure file/print sharing is setup correctly.Also ICF as well as any other personal firewall will interfere with the above.

but they can print to each other and share with each other just fine. there are no personal firewalls running. we are on a lan connected with a linksys router/switch. so its a trusted connection. and if there were connectivity problems, i wouldn't get a code 5 access denied. if i type in a computer thats not on the lan, it doesn't give me that error code. so clearly i can see the computer, but its not giving me access to manage it.

As a one off I would try to connect the two computers without useing the router.
That will prove if its the router blocking you or not.

If you run search for "a computer on the network" does it bring up both your computers ?
Does Remote Desktop work ?

Just because you have file shareing doesnot mean you have remote access.
I've had one without the other the first time I setup my own lan.
So I know what this is like.

doh-nut said:
but they can print to each other and share with each other just fine. there are no personal firewalls running. we are on a lan connected with a linksys router/switch. so its a trusted connection. and if there were connectivity problems, i wouldn't get a code 5 access denied. if i type in a computer thats not on the lan, it doesn't give me that error code. so clearly i can see the computer, but its not giving me access to manage it.

Just because one part of the network is functioning correctly does not automatically guarentee will work. There are times you will have to redo certain steps in troubleshooting no matter how simple they may seem.

The only other item I can think of that would prevent access would be something configured in the local group policies or your using a blank password for the accounts you have setup.

You may need to get them off the router, though generally the firewall only blocks traffic between the "switch" part and the "uplink" part. Any traffic on the switch side of things should be completely unmoderated.

I did some reading though and it looks like Windows won't allow you that kind of permission without a domain in the middle (a secure place to control permissions). Otherwise someone could just plug a computer into your network with the name ALLEN and his username as jon and he could get complete control over POSEYJMAC. Domains are protected from this because you can't get domain permissions unless the computer name and SSID (a unique ID) match, plus you need to be using a domain account.

Sorry for the bad info earlier, I could have sworn I was able to do it before. :(

Looks like Remote Desktop is your best bet!

Tigerbiten said:
As a one off I would try to connect the two computers without useing the router.
That will prove if its the router blocking you or not.

If you run search for "a computer on the network" does it bring up both your computers ?
Does Remote Desktop work ?

Just because you have file shareing doesnot mean you have remote access.
I've had one without the other the first time I setup my own lan.
So I know what this is like.

4555555.jpg

4534534534.jpg

im going picture crazy. but its a bit more proof that im semi literate when it comes to winxp.

ketox said:
You may need to get them off the router, though generally the firewall only blocks traffic between the "switch" part and the "uplink" part. Any traffic on the switch side of things should be completely unmoderated.

I did some reading though and it looks like Windows won't allow you that kind of permission without a domain in the middle (a secure place to control permissions). Otherwise someone could just plug a computer into your network with the name ALLEN and his username as jon and he could get complete control over POSEYJMAC. Domains are protected from this because you can't get domain permissions unless the computer name and SSID (a unique ID) match, plus you need to be using a domain account.

Sorry for the bad info earlier, I could have sworn I was able to do it before. :(

Looks like Remote Desktop is your best bet!

ok , i was afraid i would need to setup a domain for this kinda stuff. which i plan on doing actually.

i was basically just looking for a discreet way to start/stop/pause services and shutdown/restart/lock a remote computer without using vnc or remotedesktop.

PsTools from sysinternals will allow you to do that. They are command line tools that lets you control some aspects of computers remotely.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml

Download them and you will want to use PsService and PsShutdown. For the startup stuff you'll need to use Wake On Lan stuff most likely, google can get that going for you quickly.

ketox said:
PsTools from sysinternals will allow you to do that. They are command line tools that lets you control some aspects of computers remotely.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml

Download them and you will want to use PsService and PsShutdown. For the startup stuff you'll need to use Wake On Lan stuff most likely, google can get that going for you quickly.

45111111.jpg

pstools would be freakin cool if i didn't get access denied on everything :(

also if i spelled it \\ALLEO(a name that doesn't exist on the lan) then it would say it couldn't find the network path. so i know that it sees it, but just can't get through. i typed the password manually

Have you tried *reversing* the process by attempting to remotely manage poseyjmac from allen? If so what were the results?

omg. it works. computer management and pstools. me so stupid. should have tried that before!

but now i just have to find out what POSEYJMAC has set and make \\ALLEN have it the same way. its just going one way right now.

doh-nut said:
omg. it works. computer management and pstools. me so stupid. should have tried that before!

but now i just have to find out what POSEYJMAC has set and make \\ALLEN have it the same way. its just going one way right now.

At least to this point you now know where the problem exists :)

ok i tried connecting to POSEYJMAC through another pc(\\DPOS) and that worked. yet poseyjmac is the only computer that allows computer management, shutdown etc.. \\DPOS and \\ALLEN still are stubborn and say 'access denied'

now i'm kinda worried though, anyone on my lan can just go to computer management, and shutdown my(\\POSEYJMAC) services or shutdown my computer at will without authentication. (didn't even need an admin account that was the same as the one on poseyjmac)

I'm not sure but I think PsTools use the WMI interface to execute remote commands. If so, then you would need Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) service running.

Going to a command line and typing "sc start rpcss" should start it if it's not started, or you can go through services.msc and start it.

i thought the same thing, but apparently you don't need WMI service for pstools or computer management.

well, i got it working between both computers..you dont even need to have identical accounts on both machines. as long as you supply the username and password of an admin on their machine like this:

net use /USER:username \\allen\ipc$ password

or the pstools make the above connection automatically when you specify a username and pass. once you make that connection. you can do computer management, and of the pstools stuff without authenticating ever again. which is nice.

now the only hangup i have right now is it's not working on the other 2 machines on the LAN. only between \\ALLEN and \\POSEYJMAC. i have to find out whats different

Back