Remote borging kit

Thanks, I'll re-test tomorrow and get you some more info.

btw, unhappy_mage, what happened to all your points? Did you use to be ranked around me, did ya start over under a new name? Just wondering.

I used to fold under rogue_jedi. Notice he still has all of his. Now I'm at college and set to outproduce him by a lot. So now I'm gonna pass him.

But not yet, I need to get my other machine here and up. Another dual p3, add some borgs about campus...

ITMT, I figured out that it's not running the script to make the client.cfg and install the reg entries. That's probably why it's not working...

Well, it's update time again. I've split the first (very crowded) page into two (empty-looking) pages. Modified the code to match, and now it's up here. New hosting due to FileFarmer no longer taking exe files. Don't hit it too hard.

Does anyone have some screenshots? I have a powermac and Virtual pc doesn't like it for good reasons...

But other than that this project is complete?

Edit:nevermind it works

Okay, I think I'm going to send this with my sister when she goes back to England so I can have a nice long distance borg.

I'll probably have to set it for timeless unfortunately since it's a P4 2.4 I think. But it will be better than nothing. I guess I'll have to ask her how much she uses they system and figure out of she can run regular WUs or not. Either way, I plan on getting a borg out of this.

Do you guys need some hosting help? I am working on an apache server project at home and can give you some bandwith for hosting. I was hoping to get php and sql working on it for OSUguy's Boxen guide. Post or PM me.

I don't *need* the help due to the university's investment in an OC-3 :eek: but you're welcome to mirror it... Here's how I'd do it:
wget --no-directories --recursive http://userpages.umbc.edu/~willm1/setup-fold/
and this will grab all the files and put them in the current directory. However, what I really need is some more rigorous testing... I don't know how many people are using this, and until I've had a little more testing from friendly [H]'ers, I'm reluctant to release it to the unfriendly masses.

I've had it on my USB stick for a lil bit, but I'll let you know if theres any problems. Thanks again, mage, this'll be helpful.

Btw, you said something recently about you being borderline on forcing borgs in your name.. but I thought the defaults were just funny :D

Well, I just found a bug - if you're not connected to the internet or the IE settings are incorrect when you attempt to get the client, it goes into an endless loop and uses 100% of the cpu until killed. I'm trying to get 100% cpu usage, granted, but this isn't the way to go about it. I'll have to look into error handling in NSIS...

What I meant about walking the thin line between defaulting settings and *forcing* people to fold under my name unintentionally is, I could have written the script so that it'd fold for me, no matter what you put in. That's the borderline. The source is available, so you can see for yourself what side of the line I'm on.

<joking> Now forcing people to fold for team 33, that's different. </joking> ;)

Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread. u_m, did you fix the infinite-loop bug? Also, are those screenshots up-to-date?

I'm getting ready to send this out to everyone I know for the "ramp to win" contest.

No, I haven't. I was looking into making the installer work with multiple CPUs, but I haven't finished that yet. There should also be a way to let you specify defaults more easily, so you can install it under your name rather than mine.

Is anyone interested in contributing to this? I can set up a SVN repository for this thing and give you a password for it.

PS: there *is* no error handling :p If you've looked at the source, you'll see it's a lot like assembly. I may have to rewrite this in something more readable, just so I can figure out how to add more features...

I'm interested in learning at least. Maybe I can even contribute...I admit near-total ignorance with respect to the scripting language, although I'm somewhat familiar with assembly, so I can kinda figure out what's going on. I'm looking at the code and can't figure out for the life of me how some of it works. I see where you're getting the data out of the text fields/checkboxes, but I don't see how you're writing the "username=" before the "Mohonri" in the client.cfg

I'm interested in learning at least. Maybe I can even contribute...I admit near-total ignorance with respect to the scripting language, although I'm somewhat familiar with assembly, so I can kinda figure out what's going on. I'm looking at the code and can't figure out for the life of me how some of it works.
Me too. I didn't document very well what's going on, but it's coming back now. There are some things that Need Fixing :eek:
I see where you're getting the data out of the text fields/checkboxes, but I don't see how you're writing the "username=" before the "Mohonri" in the client.cfg

I'm not :D What the program spends most of its time doing is generating a string of answers, which is then fed to the client. After all the config values are read from user input, I do this:
Code:
FileWrite $9 $R8[/url]
which writes a string with something like "unhappy_mage
yes
no
maybe" (what you'd type if you manually answered the questions!) into "$INSTDIR\client-input.txt" (as determined at the beginning of CheckConfig).  Then, back in Section -Post, I write "install_service.bat" with this in it: "$\"$INSTDIR\$CONSOLENAME$\" -configonly < $\"$clientcfg$\"$\r$\npause" and then execute it.  So an example of what this would expand to is "C:\fah\fah5.exe -configonly < client-input.txt
pause".  The < tells Windows to connect stdin to the specified file instead of the console, so as far as FAH is concerned there's a user answering the questions.  That way you can guarantee that the client.cfg file has something valid in it - even if the format of the questions asked by the installer changes, it'll still write something to client.cfg.  For example, try "fah5.exe -configonly < emptyfile.txt" - it should write a default config file.

Ah, I didn't catch that part. Here's another question: how come the install script manually adds the service registry key? Doesn't the client do that itself?

It would also be nice to make a short version of the installer for purely unattended setups--just a double-click and you're done. Each borger would have to roll their own installer, but it would make borging soooooo much easier.

Ah, I didn't catch that part. Here's another question: how come the install script manually adds the service registry key? Doesn't the client do that itself?
Yes, but the -forceasm switch is recommended for general usage, so it adds that part in.
It would also be nice to make a short version of the installer for purely unattended setups--just a double-click and you're done. Each borger would have to roll their own installer, but it would make borging soooooo much easier.
That part is already partially implemented, but it's not terribly easy as it stands. Notice the third line of the source has a semicolon at the beginning - remove that and the installer will always use unhappy_mage/33, regardless of what you enter in the config pages. What would have to be added to get a quick borg tool? A check if CONFIG is defined, and if it is, skip the config pages. This would be, basically:
Code:
  !ifndef CONFIG
; do config pages
!endif
The question is where the two statements should go.

Generating a pre-defined config might not be the best idea, though; you'd have to figure out which config values need to change on a per-machine basis and separate them out. For example, you want to install 2 instances on a dual-core box and one on a single-core box, and might want advmethods on or off, that sort of thing. There's gonna have to be a lot of reworking to get it really flexible.

this looks good :D

im so getting into this when this thing is done cus i have lots of computers (many dual core) that needs to be borged remotely :cool:

keep up the work guys!

/////offtopic/////

the title of this thread made me think of something else.

*cough*

////offttopic/////

Yes, but the -forceasm switch is recommended for general usage, so it adds that part in.
Ah, I see now.
Generating a pre-defined config might not be the best idea, though; you'd have to figure out which config values need to change on a per-machine basis and separate them out. For example, you want to install 2 instances on a dual-core box and one on a single-core box, and might want advmethods on or off, that sort of thing. There's gonna have to be a lot of reworking to get it really flexible.
My thought was to just create a basic "single-core machine borging kit" with basically all the defaults except for username and team. You see, I have several family members with unborged single-core computers, and I want to make it really easy for them...

Back