Remembering Max

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
OK, so I am a sucker....probably...again. But anyways... I went out and pre-purchased Max Payne 3 for a whopping $60, and I have to say I was really baited in that MP1 and MP2 came with it for "free." So I finally got done with a bunch of CPU benchmarking today and decided to finally take a look at the old MP1 before the new games comes out later this month. MP1 through Steam runs just fine on my GeForce GTX 690 at 3600x1920 resolution! Some of the narratives were fubarred on first boot, but a restart fixed all my sound issues. Hit the link and see some of my full resolution Max Payne 1 screen shots. Some of it is funny to look at by today's standards, but I think I am gonna to burn a few leisure hours tonight playing through this again.

Last edited:
big mp1 fan. i still havent gotten through 2, but i will at some point. cant wait for the mp3 benchmarks.

MP1 is also on the iPad, its pretty cool on the iPad. If you haven't seen it.

That's pretty damned amazing that it worked properly without a myriad of tweaks, fixes, and sacrificial offerings to the tech gods. I think I'll give that a shot at 5760*1080 when I get home.

MP1 narrative was great ...too bad the movie couldn't be as good....

In MP2, at your appartment , outside the windows on the rafter theres a graffiti M , click use 3 times on it for some easter egg fun!.
MP2 had a good ending ....only saw it recently... bad ending was better lol!

Not sold on MP3

Really enjoyed the first MP and second one. Huge fan of those. I myself have my doubts as to how MP3 can live up to it. I've seen some live gameplay of MP3, and it didn't impress me. Of course, I'll be coming at the game from a graphics and performance perspective. I'll probably also be doing a let's play series of it on youtube on my channel.

You did it wrong Kyle. You're supposed to do what I did to play MP1 and MP2 again. I pulled out my old AXP 2800+ and GeForce 4 Ti 4200and played them again on that. You've gotta use time period hardware man.

Although, it is really impressive that it all worked just fine on a modern PC at that resolution.

You did it wrong Kyle. You're supposed to do what I did to play MP1 and MP2 again. I pulled out my old AXP 2800+ and GeForce 4 Ti 4200and played them again on that. You've gotta use time period hardware man.

Although, it is really impressive that it all worked just fine on a modern PC at that resolution.

Hehe, I am too lazy to do that!

Man...I remember when the graphics in this game were just mind blowing to me. The characters faces, and the bullet holes were amazing! Cant wait to play the third instalment.

Loved the first two. Beat the first one, never did finish the second. Those games really helped shape some of the games we have today.

MP3 is still up in the air. I want to play it, but not sure if it'll be like DNF and just be nostalgia...

I really enjoyed Max Payne 1. Max Payne 2 not so much.

Crazy to see it running in surround gaming mode though. Shit I was still married when Max Payne 1 came out lol.

I can't wait to play Max Payne 3. I liked 1 & 2 alot. Had I not already them I would've preordered it.

Uh, Payne, Payne, Payne! I am gonna kill you Payne! Where are you?!!

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

kyle, it is going to be a great game however I think it still wont top the first one. The first game was so sweet and so different before.

Hell, I still play Max Payne 1 or 2 at least once a month for a few hours. Ive loved these games since they first came out. The atmosphere in them is just unrivaled. Mass Effect was the first games to capture this for me. Max Payne was also the first game I actually gave a shit about the character, especially in 2 when you get to screw around with Mona and everything. The story, the music, the ambiance, the atmosphere, the scenery and most of all, the bullet time! I fucking love these game and they will ALWAYS be part of my library.

I loved the story in the Max Payne games, and that was enough to convince me to play all the way through both games, but I really don't think the game play has aged well at all. The whole bullet time idea was pretty cool and enjoyable for the first few hours, but after that the game play becomes tedious.

The rest of the game play in both the first and second game followed this pretty much to a T:
1.) Run into room, enter bullet time, aim, pull trigger.
2.) Hope your horribly inaccurate gun hits the target before they take off too much health away.
3.) Take too much damage/die? Quick load. --or-- Survive? Quick save.
4.) Repeat step 1. Make an actual save in the save menu periodically (or you'll be sorry when you get to the end of the level and accidentally quick save right before an unexpected death)

It was the same enemies over and over again, always in the same locations, following the same patterns, and you were almost always outnumbered. The gun spread was always ridiculously high, so getting a head shot felt less like skill and more luck than anything else.

I'm interested to see how MP3 turns out. I don't plan on picking it up at launch, but I am interested to know more about how poor ol' Max turned out.

The thing I'm most scared of with regards to Max Payne 3 is the fact that Remedy didn't develop it. That's why I'm going to play Diablo 3 and wait and see on Max Payne 3.

Also, here's the Max Payne 1 and 2 rig I threw together for anyone who cares. Brought back memories for me. I played some RTCW and Red Faction for good measure as well. :)

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
1 GB Kingston DDR 333
MSI KT3 Ultra 2
PNY GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Gamer
WD 60 GB PATA
Antec Nine Hundred Two (Had it laying around)

img20120515002750.jpg

Last edited:
The thing I'm most scared of with regards to Max Payne 3 is the fact that Remedy didn't develop it. That's why I'm going to play Diablo 3 and wait and see on Max Payne 3.

If there's one company that can do it right, it's Rockstar.

From the reviews of the console versions, it seems to be getting a lot of praise including (surprisingly) the storyline/narrative.

I tried to fire up MP1 through Steam recently but it just died. This thread has reminded me to download it again and see if that fixes it (verify didn't). MP2 works fine, and I was impressed by how decent it still looks.

Also, here's the Max Payne 1 and 2 rig I threw together for anyone who cares. Brought back memories for me. I played some RTCW and Red Faction for good measure as well. :)

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
1 GB Kingston DDR 333
MSI KT3 Ultra 2
PNY GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Gamer
WD 60 GB PATA
Antec Nine Hundred Two (Had it laying around)

img20120515002750.jpg

You better have a 19" CRT hooked into that bad boy.

I also did the same thing, and I loaded up Max Payne 1 to play, but the max resolution it let me load was 1440x900. How do I set it to 1920x1080? Do I force it in Steam somehow?

Min and Recommended system specs for Max Payne 1 :D

System requirements

Windows Minimum Requirements
Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2
450 MHz Intel or AMD CPU
96 MB RAM
16 MB Direct3D compatible GPU
DirectSound compatible SPU
DirectX 8.0

Windows Recommended Requirements
700 MHz Intel or AMD CPU
128 MB RAM
32 MB Direct3D compatible GPU

"IT'S PAAAAYNE!!" Is still a fairly regular meme that crops up at LAN parties and such, long live Payne the poor SOB :)

Kyle you are scaring me that its going to suck.

Only thing I have heard from Console users is that there is too much cut-scene and not enough action.

Cant comment on Multiplayer though.

Reviews aren't good folks, fyi.

Also:

You do realize that NO ONE from the D2 team worked on D3, right?

I dont care about max payne 2 or 3 the series is dead to me when it became a console noob game.

I was a huge fan of both MP1 and 2 back in the day. I am looking forward to MP3 as well. I already own the first two on Steam (think I purchased them both on sale for around $5), so I will not be preordering. I probably will not purchase it when it first comes out because I have such a back log of games that I have not even touched yet. That whole work thing keeps getting in my way of gaming.:p

I remember me and my buddie split the cost for MP1. He got the game I got the mouse pad. I still have it and used it at work until a few years ago. IN MP2 i didn't have a card that was capable or rendering the reflections in mirrors. For years after that MP2 was part of my new video card game suite just for that silly reason.

Like others have said.... 1 was good and 2 was ok. But that was 10 years ago and now bullet time has been used to death. I will wait for 3.

Also 10 years ago, those were cutting edge graphics. Today..... this could probably play as a flash game in a browser.

I always loved that pain pills were your health item. And yea, the story is pretty damn sweet.

I started playing MP 2 again about a week ago. It scales surprisingly well and of course the story still rocks.

I played Max Payne on the first Xbox and it was the best game I bought for that system. Played it on a 1080i flat screen crt tv.

I played Max Payne on the first Xbox and it was the best game I bought for that system. Played it on a 1080i flat screen crt tv.

I am sorry for your sucky 1st max payne experience with the crap xbox port of max payne it looked and controlled like ass.

and max payne only ran in 480p on xbox making your 1080I in the TV useless since the game was running in 480p. Hell 99% of the time the xbox 360 dont even use 1080i and some games dont even hit 720p it has a crap upscaling chip and the ps3 dont even bother to upscale 99% of the time since it does not have a chip for upscaling.

Hell 99.9% of xbox 1 games did not even get to 720p.

but it could have been worse you could have played on on the ps2 or somthing.

and I would love to see this magic flat screen CRT.. my sony xbr960 HDTV crt is 200pounds and not flat.

KD34XBR960_1.gif

Back