Remedy Entertainment Ditches Microsoft for Control Game Release

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Remedy Entertainment has announced that they have lost their bid to continue work on the Alan Wake and Quantum Break franchises. After going to great lengths to make sure that the writing in the games was done in a way to allow for sequels, Microsoft which owns the exclusive rights to the franchises, has decided to shelve the titles due to lackluster sales. This has opened the Finnish developer's eyes and now they seek a greater level of control over their aptly named upcoming title, "Control" by teaming with 505 Games. This unorthodox game world is set to feature a compelling story which is a trademark of Remedy games.

Virtala says it "represents a new step for Remedy", pointing to the firm's previously announced strategy to branch into shorter games and multiple projects, of which this is the first. He also stresses that there's more of a focus on gameplay this time around. In addition to faster-paced combat and wider, more open levels, Control also veers towards a Metroidvania-esque structure where players will revisit areas to uncover new secrets.

Last edited:
I just picked up Quantum Break from Wal-Mart for $25. It was on clearance. I'm looking forward to playing it, but, knowing that it's written with a sequel in mind and knowing they'll probably never release a sequel sucks. It's like waiting on HL2E3.

Last edited:
I found quantum break a little difficult to get into. Alan wake, on the other hand, was engrossing.

I just picked up Quantum Break from Wal-Mart for $25. It was on clearance. I'm looking forward to playing it, but, knowing that it's written with a sequel in mind and knowing they'll probably never release a sequel sucks. It's like waiting on HL2E3.

I liked QB, would have liked to seen a sequel.

And this people is why I loath corporations. Because they will do everything in their power to keep others from making use of stuff, that they have absolutely no intention of using either way.

And please spare me the mumbo jumbo about "protecting their ip" fuck ip, just because it is legal, doesn't mean it is right.

And this people is why I loath corporations. Because they will do everything in their power to keep others from making use of stuff, that they have absolutely no intention of using either way.

And please spare me the mumbo jumbo about "protecting their ip" fuck ip, just because it is legal, doesn't mean it is right.

EA is especially where good IP goes to die.

EA is especially where good IP goes to die.

I wish some billionaire would just hostilely take them over, dissolve them, and release all formerly EA owned IP to the public. Open source.

Edit: Oops. Meant to edit that, not quote myself. :D

I wish some billionaire would just hostilely take them over, dissolve them, and release all formerly EA owned IP to the public. Open source.

Edit: Oops. Meant to edit that, not quote myself. :D

Remember the days that we couldn't edit on the front page news?

I'd like a new Dead Space.

Remember the days that we couldn't edit on the front page news?

I'd like a new Dead Space.

Dead Space, Ultima, Wing Commander among others would be nice. How about a new SSX? I'm just thankful that it turned out to be an escrow company that had the System Shock rights, and not actually EA. Not sure how that all worked out exactly, but we wouldn't be getting the remake, or a third game if EA actually had it.

Dead Space, Ultima, Wing Commander among others would be nice. How about a new SSX? I'm just thankful that it turned out to be an escrow company that had the System Shock rights, and not actually EA. Not sure how that all worked out exactly, but we wouldn't be getting the remake, or a third game if EA actually had it.
While I do miss wing commander, (what do you think made me support what shall not be named?) I think it did go out on a high. Prophecy was amazing. It cut back on the cinematic to a good balanced level, even the acting seemed better in it, and the actual gameplay was a thousand times better than wcIV. It might even have had X-wing / TIe Fighter beat.

I waited till Alan Wake went on steam sale, and sat on it.. When I finally got around to playing it, I kicked myself. Absolutely one of my favorite games of 2017. I would have loved to have seen more story.

use of light for aiming was great idea :smuggrin:

1227445974826721062.gif

very high expectations for control.

Quantum break was a great return to the strong fps storytelling sci-fi genre and I really enjoyed playing it, despite some standard fps mechanic issues. Alan Wake was another unique game that worked really hard to leverage the pc hardware at the time, including distributed multi-core processing, that was virtually nonexistent in that era. Really looking forward to more great things from them, and hopefully this will give them some leverage to make more art and less cookiecutter.

It's rare for me to think, "Take my money" based on a trailer, but Control looks interesting. At the start of the trailer I was watching her handgun 'breathe' and I was intrigued, but not knowing the 'why' was the fun of it.

I can't speak for others, but personally, the baffling decision to tie Quantum Break to a live-action series left a gimmicky taste in my mouth such that I never bothered to check out the game.

I can't speak for others, but personally, the baffling decision to tie Quantum Break to a live-action series left a gimmicky taste in my mouth such that I never bothered to check out the game.

I sort of thought the same thing but they really were nothing more than extended cutscenes.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Some people have to learn the hard way that Microsoft are scumbags and not to be trusted.

Quantum break was a great return to the strong fps storytelling sci-fi genre and I really enjoyed playing it, despite some standard fps mechanic issues. Alan Wake was another unique game that worked really hard to leverage the pc hardware at the time, including distributed multi-core processing, that was virtually nonexistent in that era. Really looking forward to more great things from them, and hopefully this will give them some leverage to make more art and less cookiecutter.
Quantum Break isn't first-person. And, no, first- and third-person are not basically the same.

Back