Remastering “The X-Files” In High Definition

Definitely looks improved, though they're cropping some vertically...I'd assume to add more horizontally. I guess the original capture was in a wonky aspect ratio?

x-files has poor re-play value. They are basically close in nature to the 6th sense, a eureka or twist ending, Once you know it, the suspense is drained out of it. Anyone who re-ran it, never re-ran it for long. I can only remember one attempt some years back.

Ughhhhhhh.....

I bought the entire 9 season collection a few years ago on DVD. I do not think I can afford to do this no matter how much I love the X-files

I can't believe you guys are not focusing on the most important aspect of this. Gillian A. in HD.
If ever there was a woman who NEEDS to be in hi-res it is her.

I mean, seriously, the way I finish the sentence "I want to believe..."
Is "I want to believe Gillian secretly loves me"
Now Now the rest of men have that same fantasy to you know LoL

DS9 was not recorded with models & not shot on film which was easier with TNG. The CGI upscaling is going to be a bitch and will cost a buttload more money than TNG will. They just have to re-render all that crap which probably will take a bit longer than usual. Other issue is that physical sales are down which makes it difficult to justify the conversion cost.

At least some of teh CGI was over built. I've seen HD renderings of a Dominion War scene, and it looked great. The show itself was shot on film. All I know is that I'd buy it in an second. I didn't feel the need to buy TNG. I like the show, but I feel that by last season of TNG, DS9 was better and that's before Dorn joined the cast.

Not to change the subject, but if you are an Anderson fan, the series The Fall that is broadcast on BBC is very good.

I think I watched it through BBC on Demand on Time Warner.

I second this. She was good in Hannibal too (though she's only in some episodes)

It's shocking going to consider how much extra laundry our moms all had to do because of Gillian. She's probably caused more damage to the environment than CFCs.

I second this. She was good in Hannibal too (though she's only in some episodes)

As someone posted, they could release an entire ep or her reading a newspaper and I would watch it, even if silent reading :D

It's shocking going to consider how much extra laundry our moms all had to do because of Gillian. She's probably caused more damage to the environment than CFCs.
...It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time of reading this post :D.

At least some of teh CGI was over built. I've seen HD renderings of a Dominion War scene, and it looked great. The show itself was shot on film. All I know is that I'd buy it in an second. I didn't feel the need to buy TNG. I like the show, but I feel that by last season of TNG, DS9 was better and that's before Dorn joined the cast.

Yep DS9 has always been my favorite Trek and I would instantly buy an HD version. I like TNG and I'm glad it brought back Star Trek as "a thing" spawning 3 new shows after it, but it's not even close to my favorite Trek (unless it's a Q episode trolling Picard). TNG probably fits Roddenberry's vision of an optimistic/altruistic future for humanity better than DS9, but I think the added conflict and darkness of DS9 makes it a better show. Plus DS9 had some amazing actors playing great characters, and long-arcing story lines.

George Lucas would have digitally removed the smoking man's cigarettes.

You are confusing George Lucas with Steven Spielberg.

Steven Spielberg would have digitally removed the Smoking Man's cigarettes, possibly even replacing them with CGI'd lollipops, so as to not offend today's generation.

George Lucas would have replaced the Smoking Man with an "improved" CGI model, but would have left the cigarettes intact, to better present his vision of what the Smoking Man should have really looked like but technology at the time wasn't capable of producing.

Yep DS9 has always been my favorite Trek and I would instantly buy an HD version. I like TNG and I'm glad it brought back Star Trek as "a thing" spawning 3 new shows after it, but it's not even close to my favorite Trek (unless it's a Q episode trolling Picard). TNG probably fits Roddenberry's vision of an optimistic/altruistic future for humanity better than DS9, but I think the added conflict and darkness of DS9 makes it a better show. Plus DS9 had some amazing actors playing great characters, and long-arcing story lines.

Exactly. The first season was a bit rough, but it picked up in S2 and once RD Moore came on board for S3 it took off (not that I knew who Moore was at the time). The one thing i give TNG teh edge on is the series end. The last ep of TNG is virtually flawless (there's a time travel issue, but it took a few views for me to notice it, but I don't recall what it is now), while I felt the 2nd half of DS9's end was a bit of a let down, but how can you complain when you get story arcs that lasted 7 or 8 episodes.

NOBODY else did that back then. In some ways, it's a perfect show for Netflix.

Ditto for Babylon 5.

I never watched the show, but as I recall, they did a lot of their CGI on consumer hardware (Video Toaster?), which I suspect would have to be completely redone for HD.

DS9 has some (a lot?) of CGI that can easily be rerendered. It doesn't matter, since TNG didn't sell enough for them to justify it and much as I love it, I know the audience is smaller. I suspect Babylon's audience is even smaller.

I bit more than I'd like to spend, but I'm going to start watching these. I've probably watched 2 episodes (and the movies) of X-Files. It looks good, but I just never got around to watching them.

Babylon 5 restoration to HD is very unlikely.

[quote="B5Scrolls Facebook']
Let the fans do it. That’s another idea that crops up a lot when I’ve read the topic being discussed. Quickly side stepping the legal and contractual minefield this would create which no studio would entertain – whenever it gets mentioned people are referring to the CGI animations.

It’s a nice discussion point but like starting a kickstarter, it’s a non-starter as far as producing a blue-ray version of B5 is concerned. Not because it couldn’t be done – though watching someone trying to organise dozens if not hundreds of fans to march in the same direction over a protracted period of time would be interesting to say the least – but because even that wouldn’t come close to being enough to produce a blue-ray of the show. Like producing new 3D models, producing new 3D animations isn’t the problem.

Where the idea of a fan made project falls apart is in the FX shots. Composited scenes where you have live actors sharing the screen with some virtual sets, PPG blast, 3D alien and the like. To be able to produce those you have to have access to the original filmed elements….. known as the plates. That’s never going to happen.
[/quote]
(meaning the plates would never be released to fans) It's more likely B5 would be rebooted/reimagined at this point.

I still have hope that DS9 will get remastered for HD. Star Trek has never been that good since DS9 wrapped up in 99'. I thought it would be a priority now than CBS All-Access and a new Trek series is in the works. If it's not in HD, people won't watch it.

good god, i can't believe how much better the new screens look! the color palette is warmer now but somehow that has the effect of making the characters look more 'realistic.'

I never watched the show, but as I recall, they did a lot of their CGI on consumer hardware (Video Toaster?), which I suspect would have to be completely redone for HD.

DS9 has some (a lot?) of CGI that can easily be rerendered. It doesn't matter, since TNG didn't sell enough for them to justify it and much as I love it, I know the audience is smaller. I suspect Babylon's audience is even smaller.

I wouldn't really call that consumer hardware since it was still pretty expensive, although much heaper than actual broadcast equipment.
My Amiga 3000/Toaster 4000 setup cost me $7000 in 1993. The Toaster card itself was $2500.

for reference, the tng remaster changed the look of some scenes completely. this x files remaster looks simply amazing when compared to the original.

i just wish the show got a better ending :/

If it's not in HD, people won't watch it.

Totally true. The DVDs looked fine on an SD set, but even on a small computer monitor, it looks horrible. I want to rewatch it, but I'm not sure if I'll do it in SD, even though I have the entire run.

I wouldn't really call that consumer hardware since it was still pretty expensive, although much heaper than actual broadcast equipment.
My Amiga 3000/Toaster 4000 setup cost me $7000 in 1993. The Toaster card itself was $2500.

Much cheaper than broadcast=consumer to me. As I recall, $2500 PCs were not uncommon back then, so it was more than a nice home PC/Workstation, it's pretty reasonable. If the word existed in 93, then they probably labeled it a prosumer product.

for reference, the tng remaster changed the look of some scenes completely. this x files remaster looks simply amazing when compared to the original.

i just wish the show got a better ending :/

I don't remember the ending. I actually never got the last 3 seasons on DVD...mostly because I'd just seen them, whereas I hadn't seen most of the eps prior to the first movie.

I don't remember the ending. I actually never got the last 3 seasons on DVD...mostly because I'd just seen them, whereas I hadn't seen most of the eps prior to the first movie.
I thought the ending was pretty meh. In fact, the last two seasons were mostly disappointing. Chris Carter was running out of steam, Mulder was gone and sunny Los Angeles made the show less dreary.

Brought you you by the wonderfully 'talented' people that also brought you the jaw-dropping Star Trek The Next Generation Series 2.

Shame that they still haven't learned how to perform basic color correction, and most of the digitally created special fx have just been upscaled from SD.

DS9 has some (a lot?) of CGI that can easily be rerendered. It doesn't matter, since TNG didn't sell enough for them to justify it and much as I love it, I know the audience is smaller..

Nah, to do it right (for HD) I'd want new VFX composites- just like the TOS Remaster did. (and even those new CGI now look dated)

These were created by Tobias Richter, the VFX lead on Star Trek: Axanar.
Defiant Flyby
Runabout Flyby

Nah, to do it right (for HD) I'd want new VFX composites- just like the TOS Remaster did. (and even those new CGI now look dated)

These were created by Tobias Richter, the VFX lead on Star Trek: Axanar.
Defiant Flyby
Runabout Flyby

I"m not a FX expert, but that's precisely what I meant (would have posted those videos in response if they weren't in your response ;))

Back