reinstalling XP on a Dell without dell media

venm11

2[H]4U
I'm trying to reinstall XP on a dell dimension p4 using an XP SP3 ISO image downloaded from MS. It will not accept the license code from the tag on the computer. It lets me install xp without it for 30 days, which is... helpful... I guess..

Why wouldn't this accept the dell key? How can I get around this? Will it pass online activation, or not?

Also, the Dell has what looks like a 3.5gb recovery partition at the end of the drive, but it seems to only contain diagnostics. This partition would seem to be big enough for all the XP and reconfiguration stuff, like thinkpads and others have that can totally restore the OS to factory state.... do these dells have this?

because OEM keys only work on OEM-media for XP.
If you downloaded an iso from MS via TechNet/MSDN, it will be the same as retail-media, not OEM media.

what you COULD do... if you were so inclined, and it *may* work (I think I got it to work before?)...

enter any key that it will allow you to, but don't go online after the install.
Download the Microsoft Windows Key Update Tool:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4327-8e87-38be7b0cf75f/KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe

give it correct key from laptop sticker.

I have heard of people using the method j-sta outlined above, and I would assume, in the end, would be perfectly legal and kosher. Unlike Vista and Windows 7, the discs for XP have to match the license type.

Interesting. So basically, don't activate online UNTIL you correct the key with this key update tool? And I assume you can get updates and all that after it's corrected?

Btw does anyone have any idea about this [presumed] recovery partition? If it contains the reinstall stuff then that would sort everything out.

what you COULD do... if you were so inclined, and it *may* work (I think I got it to work before?)...

enter any key that it will allow you to, but don't go online after the install.
Download the Microsoft Windows Key Update Tool:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4327-8e87-38be7b0cf75f/KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe

give it correct key from laptop sticker.

I have done that a few times and it did work, but a couple of times it did not. It may have something to do with the XP with SP3, which is what I used recently to repair an HP, and the key update failed.
I'd try with an SP1 or SP2 CD.

The Recovery partition "should" restore the machine to brand new state, just like it was when it was first unboxed and turned on.

I'm trying to reinstall XP on a dell dimension p4 using an XP SP3 ISO image downloaded from MS. It will not accept the license code from the tag on the computer. It lets me install xp without it for 30 days, which is... helpful... I guess..

Why wouldn't this accept the dell key? How can I get around this? Will it pass online activation, or not?

Also, the Dell has what looks like a 3.5gb recovery partition at the end of the drive, but it seems to only contain diagnostics. This partition would seem to be big enough for all the XP and reconfiguration stuff, like thinkpads and others have that can totally restore the OS to factory state.... do these dells have this?

The installation will never accept the Dell OEM key on the sticker until you obtain the correct OEM installation disk. It doesn't have to be a Dell disk just an OEM disk.

To do a factory restore on a Dell:If the partitions have not been buggered with.
When you see the DELL Banner on booting the PC press "Ctrl and F11" this should boot the restore boot and allow you to restore the computer to factory condition.

If you don't see the Dell Banner at boot time the restore partition has been buggered up.

pcgeek11

Control-F11 has no effect. Contrarily, hitting F12 or F2 does immediately register.

So any OEM disk will do? I have an HP OEM disk, which hopefully won't install tons of stuff meaningless or destructive to the dell (bluetooth, security chip, similiar intel lan drivers, etc).

The installation did let me proceed without a key (assuming that I activate online in 30 days), just not with the oem key as you're all sayin'. Is this install salvageable?

One nice additional feature with using a DELL CD is that you wont have to enter any CDKey when installing, and its activated when done.
If you need a DELL CD, lemme know

Once you burn the ISO onto a CD, try searching for the winnt.sif file (Usually in the \I386 dir). Open it with notepad. That may help.

So any OEM disk will do? I have an HP OEM disk, which hopefully won't install tons of stuff meaningless or destructive to the dell (bluetooth, security chip, similiar intel lan drivers, etc).
Well it really depends. Sometimes they ship a 'OEM Operating Systems" disc with the system and a separate 'Driver and Application' recovery (HP has been doing this lately) but I've also seen them simply ship a "Recovery" disc which will have everything packaged in and I doubt will work on another system since it's basically reimaging the system and not installing an OS. But the OEM disc they are talking about are actual XP media disc labeled as OEM. Before I got my OSes for free I used to buy unbranded OEM and once, my disc was damaged, so I used someones Dell OEM Windows XP cd, with my key, and it worked just fine.
The installation did let me proceed without a key (assuming that I activate online in 30 days), just not with the oem key as you're all sayin'. Is this install salvageable?
This part got me wondering, how did you install XP w/o a key? Normally at the screen where you have to enter the key it won't let you proceed past that until you type one in. I only know of Vista/7 that allows you to skip that step.

Well it really depends. Sometimes they ship a 'OEM Operating Systems" disc with the system and a separate 'Driver and Application' recovery (HP has been doing this lately) but I've also seen them simply ship a "Recovery" disc which will have everything packaged in and I doubt will work on another system since it's basically reimaging the system and not installing an OS. But the OEM disc they are talking about are actual XP media disc labeled as OEM. Before I got my OSes for free I used to buy unbranded OEM and once, my disc was damaged, so I used someones Dell OEM Windows XP cd, with my key, and it worked just fine.This part got me wondering, how did you install XP w/o a key? Normally at the screen where you have to enter the key it won't let you proceed past that until you type one in. I only know of Vista/7 that allows you to skip that step.

This was some ISO I downloaded directly from MS, I think here (per random bookmark). It works exactly as other installs do, but doesn't require a key immediately.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displayLang=en

I'll have to look at what other CDs I have. I think I have a dell XP CD, but for a laptop that might predate this desktop. I think the HP cd combines XP+drivers on one disk (and hp-specific desktop background, for example), and apps on another.

This part got me wondering, how did you install XP w/o a key? Normally at the screen where you have to enter the key it won't let you proceed past that until you type one in. I only know of Vista/7 that allows you to skip that step.

The Retail XP SP3 ISO from Technet will install with no key and will also update. You have 60 days to Activate which requires you to input the key then activate.
My OEM XP SP3 requires a key before it proceeds to finalize the install.

The easiest way to do this is to obtain a DELL disc. Whether it's XP Pro or XP Home, getting the right one will elimate all headaches and work arounds. There are so many people (myself included) with stacks of them that it's easy to just ask for one.

I think I have a dell XP CD, but for a laptop that might predate this desktop.

That will work also for your desktop. You will just have to locate all the drivers using your service tag on the Dell site.

pcgeek11

Yes, the Inspiron XP cd worked great for the Dimension desktop(s). MS seems to have accepted this, at least per windows update (w/wga). Thanks for your help, folks.

What does the OEM disk (or windows activation) look for in the computer? Is the key actually flashed somehow? I'm thinking about swapping a CPU.

Yes, the Inspiron XP cd worked great for the Dimension desktop(s). MS seems to have accepted this, at least per windows update (w/wga). Thanks for your help, folks.

What does the OEM disk (or windows activation) look for in the computer? Is the key actually flashed somehow? I'm thinking about swapping a CPU.

1. The Volume License Key that Dell uses is in the WINNT.SIF file for XP on the CD, This is automatically entered for you during the installation.

2. There is a set of files on the CD that is OEM Specific and it includes a Microsoft Trusted OEM Certificate file *****.xrm-ms this has the coded information that identifies if the correct BIOS is on the motherboard that corresponds to the specific Trusted OEM ( Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer etc...).

3. There is a code that is coded in the ACIP tables in the BIOS Firmware that has to correspond the the OEM Certificate provided from the CD Disk.

During the installation there are files run from the $OEM$ folder that will verifiy that all three of these pieces of the puzzle are in sync with each other and if they are the Operating System is activated without contacting Microsoft.

I hope this helps you understand.

pcgeek11

1. The Volume License Key that Dell uses is in the WINNT.SIF file for XP on the CD, This is automatically entered for you during the installation.

2. There is a set of files on the CD that is OEM Specific and it includes a Microsoft Trusted OEM Certificate file *****.xrm-ms this has the coded information that identifies if the correct BIOS is on the motherboard that corresponds to the specific Trusted OEM ( Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer etc...).

3. There is a code that is coded in the ACIP tables in the BIOS Firmware that has to correspond the the OEM Certificate provided from the CD Disk.

During the installation there are files run from the $OEM$ folder that will verifiy that all three of these pieces of the puzzle are in sync with each other and if they are the Operating System is activated without contacting Microsoft.

I hope this helps you understand.

pcgeek11

Interesting. So then the code in the bios is used to verify that the model of computer can use an OEM license, and you can change all the other hardware all you want. Presumably.

Does this mean that each machine (ie, license key or service code) isn't uniquely identified in the [ACPI?] tables, nor the CD? This would determine what you are and aren't able to do with it.

For example, if a model of computer came with Win2k despite XP being offered on it, can I install XP on it using the OEM cd? I'm also not sure what the license specifically states in this scenario for OEM and corporate licensing (from where that pc came). MS probably wouldn't allow it, but I'm wondering if the loophole has to exist because of the way these licenses seem to work.

Interesting. So then the code in the bios is used to verify that the model of computer can use an OEM license, and you can change all the other hardware all you want. Presumably.

Does this mean that each machine (ie, license key or service code) isn't uniquely identified in the [ACPI?] tables, nor the CD? This would determine what you are and aren't able to do with it.

For example, if a model of computer came with Win2k despite XP being offered on it, can I install XP on it using the OEM cd? I'm also not sure what the license specifically states in this scenario for OEM and corporate licensing (from where that pc came). MS probably wouldn't allow it, but I'm wondering if the loophole has to exist because of the way these licenses seem to work.

It will work on any DELL computer(I have used a dell oem disk for several dell computers from Pentium II( 450mhz that came with windows 98 or Me) to a new notebook that came with vista.

The exact key is not entered into the BIOS it is on the CD. WINNT.SIF for Windows XP, PID.TXT for Windows Vista ( Iwould have to look for the Windows 7 location, but it is different, but it is there )

No this will not work. The code I know for a Dell for example For Windows XP the BIOS code in the ACPI Table is " Dell M08 " and the code for Windows Vista is " Dell M07 ". Do you see what I mean? If the system originally shipped with OEM Dell Win XP and you installed OEM Dell Vista the system would NOT Activate as the BIOS Code doesn't match what the Vista Certificate is looking for which is Dell M07 and the BIOS is coded for Windows XP Dell M08.

Now you can use any Dell OEM OS Media to install on any Dell System that originally shipped with the same OS as the BIOS Code is the same for all systems that shipped with that particular OS.

I hope I cleared up any misconceptions.

pcgeek11

Back