• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Registry File Failure

brachy33

Gawd
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
567
Hey people. I am trying to get several very important files off of a clients home computer for them. One of the registry hives was somehow corrupted, giving the error:

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SO FTWARE or its log or alternate

After investigating, and applying the information found HERE, the hard drive still will not boot up and causes the system to perpetually reboot when the BIOS goes to load Windows on the HD.

Question? Even with a borked registry, if i change the jumpers on the drive to slave (it is an IDE Maxtor) and plug it into one of my main systems, should I be able to access all the data files on that disk??

Please advise on any possible options you all might have! Thanks.
 
I'm pretty sure you can boot from a Knoppix live cd and retrieve most of the data on the disc.
I have never done this myself, but according to some research I've done it works fairly well.
 
Ok, cool. I'll download the knoppix ISO tonight and check that out. Curiously, how would the Knoppix live CD be any different than running an Ubuntu Live CD? Is Knoppix a Debian based linux distro? Also, and I haven't had time to try this since I was home last, but couldn't I just plug the HD with the damaged registry into a machine with an open IDE channel and run the drive in slave mode and get the data files off the bad drive that way?? Or, would the damaged registry hive on the bad drive eliminate that option? Thanks.
 
brachy33 said:
Ok, cool. I'll download the knoppix ISO tonight and check that out. Curiously, how would the Knoppix live CD be any different than running an Ubuntu Live CD? Is Knoppix a Debian based linux distro? Also, and I haven't had time to try this since I was home last, but couldn't I just plug the HD with the damaged registry into a machine with an open IDE channel and run the drive in slave mode and get the data files off the bad drive that way?? Or, would the damaged registry hive on the bad drive eliminate that option? Thanks.

That would work fine.
 
Back
Top