• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Registering a .com

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
6,279
I have an idea for a business. I used whois to see if the name of the .com was taken and it is available. I would like to register it so no one takes it away from me.

What's the best/cheapest place to register a domain?
 
Yeah I just trasfered my name to GoDaddy from Brinkster, there not bad at all.
 
I just registered with godaddy, how long does it take until it shows that the domain is taken?

How much do you guys pay usually? And do you chose the privacy option that with holds your personal information in the whois database?
 
I just registered with godaddy, how long does it take until it shows that the domain is taken?

How much do you guys pay usually? And do you chose the privacy option that with holds your personal information in the whois database?

I just registered a few domains. I didn't select any privacy or anything, and they were about $10 a year for all of them.
 
Just to throw the good word out for 1and1.com.. most .coms are 6.99/year..
 
When you're doing anything involving domain registration / hosting / et cetera, do a quick search for coupons. I registered a new domain a few nights ago, found that:

chill3

knocks down .com registration costs to $6.99/year. It also works if you're renewing your registration.

As for how long it'll take before showing that it's taken -- GoDaddy will "park" the site until you link your domain to hosting, which is done by pointing www.yourdomain.com to the nameservers of whatever hosting company you're using.

Hosting: Dreamhost has a bad reputation for downtime / poor staff support, but . . . I've had no trouble with them (they actually helped me out with a certain problem), and I get 500GB space / 5TB bandwidth/mo. for about $5.77/mo. Not a bad deal.

Once you link the domain to those nameservers, wait ~24 hours or so for all the data to propagate about the Internet. DNS has some lag in it due to the gigantic size of the 'net and how frequently different DNS boxes update.

I'm relatively new to this, so anyone should feel free to correct me :).



Edit: That coupon works for GoDaddy.
Edit2: I also didn't choose any privacy options. Although it's annoying, all that information's readily available on one of my sites in the form of a resume, so . . . life will go on. Hopefully without identity theft ;).
 
I'll also chime in to recommend godaddy, I've used them for god knows how long and they've always worked well. As far as hosting, I use http://www.imountain.com, a newer solar-based hosting company. They don't oversell their bandwidth/etc. to extreme amounts like other hosts often do, or even much at all, and have amazingly good customer support that actually cares to help you with your problem(s), not just shovel you off. I've been with them for around a year, and they've been the best host I've ever had. Yes, their prices are a tad higher, but it's the same reason you buy from newegg: it costs a little more, but you have the peace of mind and know that if something hits the fan, you're covered.

As far as privacy options, I didn't take the time to read the fine print and make sure it's still legally yours/etc., plus I didn't really care to hide the info as it's probably readily available to someone who wants it anyway :( . Combine that with an extra fee and I passed.
 
if you start or own a business and wants to have your business domain name.. I believe you can contact the lawyer and get it off domain company.

If I remember correctly, guy started some gaming website.. he registered a business name.. he had lawyer talked to domain company then he got it..
 
Back
Top