Refurbished Server Memory?

ChatChai

n00b
Anyone have experience with refurbished server memory? I've dealt with refurbished servers and SFPs for our networking equipment but never have I thought of refurbished memory.

You might ask why, we have an old Dell PE 2950 that we are still using and wanted more memory. Currently has 4 x 1GB. There are 8 slots with max of 4GB per slot. Quick price lookup on crucial brings the price around $320 per 8GB kit, where else a place like servermonkey.com (never used before) has it prices at the same price of $320 for 32GB refurbished. Budget is a concern as I would need about 16GB minimum so it would cost me about $640 brand new. Obviously more would be advantageous just not sure if I should jump into the refurbished realm of memory.

refurbished memory is memory that is taken from computers that have been recycled off corporate leases and parted out.

It should work just fine.

Server memory on eBay is very cheap. In many cases the price per GB is lower than desktop memory.

Ok. I think at this point is just finding a reputable resource that sells refurbished memory. Anyone have any luck with Servermonkey? Crucial has a section but looks like they don't have anything available right now.

That machine uses FB-Dimm?

I have 8x 2gb PC5300 FB-Dimm from a server Im decom this week

I've bought plenty of used/refurb server ram, mostly on eBay. So far I've never had any trouble with it. I bought something from ServerMonkey last year. I don't recall what it was, but I didn't have any trouble with it. I think it might have been some hard drives. Yep, I'm running used HDs too. I have a PERC 5i and 8 15k SAS drives in the quad in my basement.

Back