Refurbished MSI Products

gordon151

Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Refurb 7970 for $389 seems good, except shipping is like $15. Still not a bad deal.

MSI is ok , RMA department is just slow is all i got to say :D

I just had a good (so far) experience with their RMA dept. I opened an RMA on 4/12, shipped it in a few days later, and it'll be back tomorrow, 4/27. I say "so far" cause I don't know what they did to the card, whether they repaired it or replaced it, or if it works yet.

Regardless, these seem like good prices.

Not sure how hot this is, but there is an Amazon store that sells refurbished items direct from MSI.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A3EEXTUSWX65VP

I've purchased from there once (see signature) and they seem ok. They have some decent deals there too on even the newest of stuff, like 7970 @ $389 or 580 @ $289.00. Only issue is the warranties are only for 1 year.

1 year warranty is actually pretty damn good for refurbs. My reburb'ed Ultrasharp U2311h only has 90 days!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Refurb 7970 for $389 seems good, except shipping is like $15. Still not a bad deal.

I don't know how good that deal really is. For $405 you get a refurb reference. Or you can get a new 7970 from sapphire that has a great cooler on it for $450.

Not too bad of a deal though to save 45 bucks. Refurb puts it at 7950 prices.

Yeah, the s/h is a lot but they really do package and ship it well. My item came in a manner that if I didn't see the refurbished sticker on box would have thought everything was brand new. Hoping they honor the rebate for it as new too :D.

Yeah, the s/h is a lot but they really do package and ship it well. My item came in a manner that if I didn't see the refurbished sticker on box would have thought everything was brand new. Hoping they honor the rebate for it as new too :D.

Doubtful. They can usually tell if it's a refurb by serial number. So most likely you won't get the rebate.

The x79-GD65 (8D) is so very tempting... must... resist... urge... *clicks*

480GTX also gone. I waffled about getting one for a little too long. I wonder how often these things show up?

The x79-GD65 (8D) is so very tempting... must... resist... urge... *clicks*
This would be the real steal for me too. Many of these boards have been returned by customers due to 3820 bios issues and have zero actual defects so chances are good that this is a basically new item which will probably also ship with the newer bios. Only comes with the standard 90 day refurb warranty though :(

another 480 is up but its $190 shipped...cant believe i missed that other one

I kinda suspected that this would be the case.. Only 1 of everything is BS.. I figured they would sell them & as soon as they ship it they would adjust price as necessarry.

$160 shipped for a 480 (and with one year warranty) was a crazy deal. Hope to see them come down to that again. In don't think I've even seen used 480s for go anywhere near that low yet.

Got the GTX480 this morning, will have to hook it up when I get home from work.

I think I got the best deal at Frys.

Was in there on the 27th just to pick up some dvd-r's and stopped by the motherboard section on my way back. They pulled all the older boards off the wall to replace with new and had the displays in cases. Found a P67A-GD55 (B3) for $15.99. At checkout the clerk told me there is a $30 MIR on the board. So I went home pulled up the link and got the form went online and all that jazz took the upc label off the back of the board and sent in all documents. MSI is still awaiting documents but it's looking like MSI is going to pay me about $12.73 to buy a board from Frys or should I say take a board from Frys. :D

tempted by the gtx580 also but I dont really like to fool with refurbished components. also not really worth the hassle of selling my gtx570 for 200 bucks or so to end up paying a little over 100 bucks for a 20-25% performance increase from that oced gtx580.

Doubtful. They can usually tell if it's a refurb by serial number. So most likely you won't get the rebate.

Got the rebate :). So it looks like as long as you purchase a certified refurb which comes with everything as new, they'll honor the rebates.

I sometimes buy stuff that is sold as new, but they have non static bags that are only closed (folded over and held closed ) with scotch tape. If it's not a 'sealed' bag (heat sealed all the way around) does that mean it's really something they got returned and are trying to sell it as new? Or are there manufactureres that actually send products out like that?

I sometimes buy stuff that is sold as new, but they have non static bags that are only closed (folded over and held closed ) with scotch tape. If it's not a 'sealed' bag (heat sealed all the way around) does that mean it's really something they got returned and are trying to sell it as new? Or are there manufactureres that actually send products out like that?

I've never seen a new product use scotch tape, but often I have seen new products shop with just an antistatic bag with one end folded.

I've never seen a new product use scotch tape, but often I have seen new products shop with just an antistatic bag with one end folded.

That's what I mean; one end folded over and taped to the rest of the bag. It kind of makes me wonder why they would do that; I mean, even the hard drives that didn't come in sealed bags had at least some kind of special seal tape on it, not just clear tape. Last year my gigabyte 560 video card came in a box that wasn't sealed in any way, and the static bag was just taped over (got it from microcenter). The card looked new, and functioned normally so I kept it. But got a 6970 lightning from another vendor which was obviously used (plastic wrap on the card shredded and torn, back of card smudged as if the previous user had crud on their fingers when they installed it, and the card was DOA) so it was an obvious return that they were trying to pass off as new, I suppose someone in the warehouse just stuck a return back on the shelf without checking it. They did make good on the refund, though. But I'm kind of surprised that any manufacturers allow that to happen by sending out items that aren't in sealed bags.

Lots of new products have taped over bags, that's not a sign of a refurb or return. In fact other than HDD's I don't know of many components that ship in a sealed bag.

In the US, federal trade regulations (and most state laws) prohibit vendors from misrepresenting and selling refurbed items as new. That's not to say some don't slip through the cracks, especially with less scrupulous dealers, but with legit dealers it's generally not a concern. And with customer returned items that have been inspected to verify there are no issues, the more reputable dealers will usually label these as "open box" items.

Last year my gigabyte 560 video card came in a box that wasn't sealed in any way, and the static bag was just taped over (got it from microcenter). The card looked new, and functioned normally so I kept it.

It happens with Microcenter and other brick and mortar retailers. A lot of people return an item they have opened and MC cannot always tell if the item has been used.

Abhaxus said:
Basically, I bought the GTX480 and received a defective card. Shipping was really fast, and they communicated well with me when I reported a problem, but they started to act really strange when I said I just wanted to exchange it instead of them refunding my money so I could purchase a new one. I think the language barrier had something to do with that... but in the end, the odd communication led to a response from them that if I sent it back, they would RMA it for me, which to me seemed like they were just going to send it for warranty replacement with MSI. To save time, I contacted MSI myself, and found out first of all that the phone number TegraTech includes in the package is for MSI's marketing department, not customer service. And the customer service department could not validate my serial number as a product with a valid warranty, nor could they confirm that they even knew if TegraTech was an authorized reseller. Amazon has taken care of the situation on my end, and is investigating them for advertising the warranty. In the meantime, someone might want to post to stay away from these guys.

Saw this about TegraTech in case anyone orders from there. Haven't had to use warranty on my card so I wouldn't know, but I did redeem a coupon and register card.

In the US, federal trade regulations (and most state laws) prohibit vendors from misrepresenting and selling refurbed items as new. That's not to say some don't slip through the cracks, especially with less scrupulous dealers, but with legit dealers it's generally not a concern. And with customer returned items that have been inspected to verify there are no issues, the more reputable dealers will usually label these as "open box" items.

And this is the exact reason places have restock fees. Unless the item is defective and you simply are returning it because you didn't want it, the vendor can't legally resell it as new and ends up having to sell it as used/open box and as such takes a hit. I don't like restock fees, but they exist for a reason.

I have seen stuff that was supposedly new and the bag looked like the seal was broken, but item inside looked new.

My boss picked up the little Windows 7 Tablet (Windpad110w) from them. flawless out of the box. the stock 32GB SSD was slower than hell, but a $70 minipci-e SSD perked it right up.

Back