Refurbed Corsair 128gb SSD $129.99 at tigerdirect.com

So, sorry to continue the noob train here, but with those intel trim-for-raid drivers, do you need an intel motherboard or just a motherboard with an intel chipset?

The list of supported boards on that intel page confused me a bit, it looked like they were listing intel branded mobos and not chipsets.

For example I was about to buy a P67 board for my next build, but it would be a gigabyte or msi board or something; that wouldn't exclude me from using those raid drivers, would it?

Intel chipset would be sufficient. However, you won't get TRIM if you're disks are a part of a RAID array. You can have the controller set to RAID, but not run an array, or AHCI to get TRIM.

I'm shocked, this is only $119 on TigerDirect Canada. It's usually the other way around that Canada gets the shaft on everything.

How would the single drive performance on these compare to the Vertex LE (my current boot)?

Intel chipset would be sufficient. However, you won't get TRIM if you're disks are a part of a RAID array. You can have the controller set to RAID, but not run an array, or AHCI to get TRIM.

MY 80GB Intel XV25 Gen 2 would disagree...You have been able to run in AHCI mode with TRIM on for quite a while...Download the Intel toolbox app and it will confirm TRIM is fully enabled.

MY 80GB Intel XV25 Gen 2 would disagree...You have been able to run in AHCI mode with TRIM on for quite a while...Download the Intel toolbox app and it will confirm TRIM is fully enabled.

you fail... Read the post again.. Trim works with AHCI.. Always has.. However if your disk is part of a raid volume you absolutely will not get trim.. You can still have the drive on a raid controller with other disk's in a volume & get trim..

So, sorry to continue the noob train here, but with those intel trim-for-raid drivers, do you need an intel motherboard or just a motherboard with an intel chipset?
Wow, what is it you guys don't understand?

Read my post on the second page of this thread.

Last edited:
i just got mine , i plugged one into an e-sata dock i have and formated it, ran HDtach and got a straight line on graph of about 120MB, is that about right for a e-sata dock ?

maybe this weekend i will open the case up and install them to mobo

Got mine - seems pretty quick too I tried crystal disk on it and got 240 read 140 write (sequential)... no complaints. Maybe I should have got two..

I apologize Old Hippie, I had a fundamental failure with your post.

I do think it's worth saying though, that I don't really keep current with this stuff anymore so your, "have you been in a hole for a year" comment kind of does apply.

My problem was that I had initially looked at the bit-tech link you had initially quoted, which seemed to state that TRIM for RAID volumes was enabled using Intel's new Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

I also saw a link to an Intel page from that bit-tech page, which pointed me here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=&DwnldID=15251

That page, to someone not in-the-know, certainly appeared that it was a download page for RAID drivers that would support TRIM. That was where I saw the list of Intel hardware, which prompted my question.

I took that Intel link for what it appeared to be, and didn't follow your second quoted link, which seemed to completely contradict the bit-tech article, clarifying that that the new drivers only enable TRIM if the drive is not part of a RAID volume.

My bad. I think I get it now. No TRIM on your RAID0 SSD Array.

I'm still a little confused as to what these drivers actually do that's useful; I guess they allow you to use TRIM on a non-RAID-volume drive, on the same controller that has a RAID volume, which would not have TRIM enabled?

I do think it's worth saying though, that I don't really keep current with this stuff anymore so your, "have you been in a hole for a year" comment kind of does apply.
LOL!

This RAID+TRIM question is still asked frequently but usually answered correctly.

It's no big deal but then you get others that follow blindly and it can become a cluster-f@ck. :D

If you can use the Intel drivers they're generally better than the MS drivers installed with a Windows OS.

LOL!

This RAID+TRIM question is still asked frequently but usually answered correctly.

It's no big deal but then you get others that follow blindly and it can become a cluster-f@ck. :D

If you can use the Intel drivers they're generally better than the MS drivers installed with a Windows OS.

so in general, trim is not really all that important, doesn't really matter for me right now as i run XP64 so no trim either way.

so in general, trim is not really all that important, doesn't really matter for me right now as i run XP64 so no trim either way.
I haven't found lack of TRIM to be a problem on any of my RAID0 set-ups.

However, I've used mostly (Intel, Crucial) quality drives, only my OS+programs are loaded on them, and I have plenty of spare room for GC to work.

If you're going to fill an SSD to 50%-75% full, TRIM would be advantageous.

Back